LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
rustyjaw

Music Production (Tools and Techniques)

"Sitting is this generation's smoking."

(But standing is also not without its drawbacks and health issues, but whatevs.)

23 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

"Sitting is this generation's smoking."

(But standing is also not without its drawbacks and health issues, but whatevs.)

Yeah, I don't think standing is a panacea. For one thing, you MUST have a pad of some sort. And you have to move around occasionally, and change your stance, etc. But definitely for my back, standing is better than sitting.

Wasn’t planning on doing this, but I saw that Roland had released a multi cam video app for iOS that intrigued me. Elegantly named “4x Camera Maker” - it uses the cameras of multiple iOS devices to shoot multi cam video. One device is the Master and triggers recording on all connected devices (it uses WiFi, Bluetooth and I think it uses AirDrop to transfer the recorded videos to the master device for editing)

I installed it on my current iPad (plain jane one from 2019), an old iPad Air 2 and on my phone. The phone is tethered only so the audio track is coming from the mixer and not the iPhone mic. 

So here is a track that is almost finished. Still working on some bits, but it will stay about this length (3:45). Not super comfortable being on cam, especially with my unkempt isolation haggard look...but I’ll consider it a bit of a time capsule of how things were this spring. 

shot and edited in 4x Camera Maker, which, despite how clumsy the UI is, actually works. This was my first take, about 30 min after installing the app. 

Well daayuum that was nice!

The etherealy bits on top of the bass/synth line are going to a strymon aren't they?

15 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Well daayuum that was nice!

The etherealy bits on top of the bass/synth line are going to a strymon aren't they?

Thanks! so the “pianoish” chords are going directly From the Novation Peak into a Strymon Deco before the mixer. 
Similarly, the warbly lead sound is going from the OB-6 (which I just got a good deal on used) into a second Deco before the mixer.

Then as FX sends, I’m using a Walrus Audio Slo (huge, huge modulated reverb, but mono) into the Strymon Flint. The flint stereoizes the sounds from the Slo. Both reverbs are set to short decay so they don’t get too muddy. The Slo is the little blue box that I tweak now and then. 

That’s a long answer to your question, but the answer is “yes” the fizzy pads are being sent to the Slo-Flint combo maybe more than any of the other sounds are. 

20 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Not super comfortable being on cam, especially with my unkempt isolation haggard look...but I’ll consider it a bit of a time capsule of how things were this spring. 

Hah! you should see me and my family unkept

bad hair day snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Thanks! so the “pianoish” chords are going directly From the Novation Peak into a Strymon Deco before the mixer. 
Similarly, the warbly lead sound is going from the OB-6 (which I just got a good deal on used) into a second Deco before the mixer.

Then as FX sends, I’m using a Walrus Audio Slo (huge, huge modulated reverb, but mono) into the Strymon Flint. The flint stereoizes the sounds from the Slo. Both reverbs are set to short decay so they don’t get too muddy. The Slo is the little blue box that I tweak now and then. 

That’s a long answer to your question, but the answer is “yes” the fizzy pads are being sent to the Slo-Flint combo maybe more than any of the other sounds are. 

Neat. And the mix is all captured in the zoom SD card? OR are you feeding that resulting mix into a DAW? Or feeding all channels into a DAW?

On 4/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, AlbertA said:

Neat. And the mix is all captured in the zoom SD card? OR are you feeding that resulting mix into a DAW? Or feeding all channels into a DAW?

For this purpose (spontaneous phone video), I hooked up my Zoom H6 to the headphone out of the mixer because the H6 functions as an audio interface for iOS (the other end of the USB cable goes to the H6). I think the mixer can also do this, but I haven't tried yet. But, yes the mixer can record all 20 tracks to SD or fed them into a DAW...but I try to stay off the computer as much as possible, so I use the direct SD recording. And then when I'm ready to mix and master, I'll drop the files from the SD into Logic.

I saw this on reddit yesterday, VERY cool idea. A modular synth in VR, still in development. There are software modular synths (VCV Rack), but I've personally never been interested because I feel it would loose all of the advantages and joy of working with a modular, but THIS is much closer. The spatial quality and the physical act of patching are there. The tactility of actually turning knobs, and moving sliders wouldn't be the same...but as a device for exploring modular (especially without sinking $$$ into it), this could be extremely cool.

39 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

"..without sinking money into it..."

Oh, you sweet sweet summer child.

Haha. You got me. Now I’m reminded of people talking about how PSVR is only $300. 

Although, in my defense, no one is going to buy a PC and VR setup for this, it’s going to be something people will dabble in after they get bored of Beat Saber IV. 

• Haha 1