LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Carlucci

2016 TV show discussion

Two shows you should be watching:

The Detour (TBS) - I had the lowest of expectations for this comedy, and really only recorded it for Natalie Zea. But good God it's been hilarious. Zea is a delight, and the performances from the kid actors are solid comedy gold. There's even some kind of criminal investigation arc to keep you intrigued, if Natalie isn't your thing.

Dice (Showtime) - This one's even more surprising, but Dice, one of the first to have his career torpedoed by political correctness, is killing it by goofing on himself.

Carlos.

Two shows you should be watching:

The Detour (TBS) - I had the lowest of expectations for this comedy, and really only recorded it for Natalie Zea. But good God it's been hilarious. Zea is a delight, and the performances from the kid actors are solid comedy gold. There's even some kind of criminal investigation arc to keep you intrigued, if Natalie isn't your thing.

Dice (Showtime) - This one's even more surprising, but Dice, one of the first to have his career torpedoed by The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, is killing it by goofing on himself.

Carlos.

Fixed that for you. ;) Time, really poor choices in projects and the dissipation of shock value surrounding his schtick torpedoed his career. You can only recycle those nursery rhymes so many times before they get stale as fuck. 

I'm glad to hear his new show is good though. I'll definitely check it out.

We watched Episode 1 of "Atlanta" starring Donald Glover, and it is off to a great start. 

Tonight is American Horror Story, season 6. I have no idea what it's about, but it's rumored to tie all the previous seasons together somehow.

Carlos.

I was considering AHS s6 but I've only ever watched s1 so maybe I shouldn't bother.

They are self contained stories for the most part so its fine. Even if it ties everything together it should still present as a contained narrative if previous seasons are any indication.

You should check out Hotel (S5). It was pretty damned good overall. Much better than the previous two seasons.

Oh and get on Netflix and watch S2 which is the best of the bunch by a longshot.

Really? I heard s5 was the best since s1. For the most part, I loved s1. Just never got around to the others due to so many other shows grabbing my attention.

I watch way too much tv than I should admit. My revisit of X-Files s1 is the 30th tv season I've finished this year. ????

Did anyone watch The Expanse on Syfy? Having enjoyed the first book I'm interested but the production values in the show look pretty poor. Curious to hear any opinions from the group.

Haven't watched The Expanse, but will check it out.   

So far, the only shows that have moved the needle for me are "Lethal Weapon" (though it had some really stupid moments), and "Atlanta."   The rest have been blah.  

Carlos.

Did anyone watch The Expanse on Syfy? Having enjoyed the first book I'm interested but the production values in the show look pretty poor. Curious to hear any opinions from the group.

I like The Expanse. I did not read the books, so I'm sure there is a lack of depth by comparison, but I think the show is very good. It's perhaps not as extravagant a production as, say, Game of Thrones, but I don't think the production stands out as bad by any means.

• Like 1

As always, I'm watching a bunch of shows and have enjoyed what I've seen of the pilot episodes.  Atlanta, Designated Survivor, This Is Us, The Exorcist, Better Things, The Good Place and Pitch.  Still waiting on a few others to debut: Timeless, Conviction, Luke Cage, Westworld and Chance.

Um, yeah.  

Designated Survivor was going good, then Kiefer went into full "whisper talk" mode and ruined it. Whisper talk was fine for badass Jack Bauer, but in this role, it's just annoying.

Westwood starts tonight! Hype!

Carlos.

I just finished The Expanse. It certainly got better in the later episodes. Most of the changes from the books were smart decisions for TV but they ended the series at a very awkward stage in the first book. Assuming they use season 2 to finish up book 1 they are going to have to pad with a lot of content.

I just finished The Expanse. It certainly got better in the later episodes. Most of the changes from the books were smart decisions for TV but they ended the series at a very awkward stage in the first book. Assuming they use season 2 to finish up book 1 they are going to have to pad with a lot of content.

I'll admit the show got off to a slow start (well, after the first episode which just established the scene), but I gave it time because there is such a dearth of serious, "sciency" sci-fi on TV right now. I mean, the most sciency show out there is "Rick and Morty" - which is phenomenal, but it's more like Furturama than 2001 :-)

Three episodes into Black Mirror S3 and it's damn good so far. Third is really gut wrenching. 

I'm only 2 in but they are pretty well done.

Really enjoyed the 4th as well. The order for the first 4 are perfect because of the different tones.

Are there really 3 seasons of it? I just noticed last night I was watching season 3, episode 3. I've never heard of it before now.

Oh god, yeah there are.

I've only ever seen the first episode of season one and it's one of the most insane things I've ever seen on TV.

Are there really 3 seasons of it? I just noticed last night I was watching season 3, episode 3. I've never heard of it before now.

It's a British TV show that's more of a one-off than a regular year to year production. The previous series were only 3 episodes each, one in 2011, another in 2013 - it's a labour of love, hard to write show. The Christmas special too is well worth watching. They're all on Netflix Instant Watch, have been for a while.

Charlie Brooker's a long time videogame journo/writer too as it happens. His "Dead Set" is worth a watch too on Netflix - "What would happen if a zombie outbreak occurred while Big Brother was running?"

• Like 1