LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Carlucci

2016 TV show discussion

S1 E1 was crazy

Yep :) Especially after the rumours came out a while back about the (now ex) British PM's shenanigans in university.

Just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. That was amazing! Not for its insane premise but for the sheer audaciousness of its message on social media and just media in general in today's society. I loved how subversive it all felt without ever feeling like it was hiding its true nature if that makes sense? The end result of the episode was well......ewwwwww.

Fifteen Million Merits (S1, E2) is just superb television. My goodness. Not sure how much I can praise it without the hyperbole taking over but ....bravo. Incredible episode!

Just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. That was amazing! Not for its insane premise but for the sheer audaciousness of its message on social media and just media in general in today's society. I loved how subversive it all felt without ever feeling like it was hiding its true nature if that makes sense? The end result of the episode was well......ewwwwww.

Ha, I just watched this the other day as well. Second episode not as good, but I'm going to give the rest a shot.

Ha, I just watched this the other day as well. Second episode not as good, but I'm going to give the rest a shot.

Boy I disagree entirely. National Anthem's got nothing on Fifteen Million Merits, IMO. It's a fine episode in its own right but the second episode is dystopian science fiction done to near perfection. The performance by Daniel Kaluuya is /fantastic/.

I watched "The Entire History of You" last night as well. It's the weakest of the S1 episodes but still has a lot to like. Some really great performances and a nice if a bit less impactful premise. It reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind from a high level conceptual standpoint.

Boy I disagree entirely. National Anthem's got nothing on Fifteen Million Merits, IMO. It's a fine episode in its own right but the second episode is dystopian science fiction done to near perfection. The performance by Daniel Kaluuya is /fantastic/.

I thought the message and aesthetic were great, but the storytelling just didn't keep me as engaged, and I felt it would have been a better 30 min episode rather than 1 hour. Still enjoyed it and look forward to the others.

San Junipero was beautiful. Wonderfully acted, super engaging and I both smiled and teared up on equal measure. One of my favorites of the series.

Second only to 15 Million Merits for me.

Goliath, an Amazon original starring Billy Bob Thornton, was well done. I thought of it like an extended law procedural TV show, but R-rated (or at least PG-13), and with a much better cast.

Lots of eye candy, too. For one, the gal who played Rousseau's daughter in Lost is all grown up.

Carlos.

I'm several episodes into The Colony on Netflix. Josh Holloway(Sawyer) from Lost, Sara Wayne Callies from TWD, Carl Weathers(!) are in it and it's about an alien invasion and occupation. No actual aliens so far. It has set up an interesting dynamic between the husband and wife. I've enjoyed it so far.

I'm several episodes into The Colony on Netflix. Josh Holloway(Sawyer) from Lost, Sara Wayne Callies from TWD, Carl Weathers(!) are in it and it's about an alien invasion and occupation. No actual aliens so far. It has set up an interesting dynamic between the husband and wife. I've enjoyed it so far.

It's pretty good!  Season 2 starts on the 12th...

I'm excited.  Even though it was disjointed and choppy, I thought season 4 delivered enough AD goodness to make it worthwhile. 

I never realized until recently that the ridiculous name GOB Bluth (George Oscar Bluth) was a  subtle dig at JEB Bush.  Jeb's real name is John Ellis Bush.  

Carlos.

For you Black Mirror fans, Mansell's score for San Junipero is up on Spotify. As is an extensive playlist with every bit of music from the episode!

It inspired another rewatch this evening. It's so wonderful.

The Good Wife series finale was a swing and a miss.  Love the show.  So unpredictable.  They've surprised me quite a bit insofar as the core characters decisions and statements. 

And while I credit them for setting up the series finale with the last half of the season, they just didn't land it.  I see what they were trying to do.  The season itself was a B+ but as a finale for the show, it was a C-, when you factor in the last episode.

Makes me think they thought they had one more season and they sort of sprinted to the finish.  It just was not handled elegantly.  Even if they had some good ideas.  Makes me mad because I know they can do better.  The show runners are better than what they gave us.  Oh well, nonetheless, this show is a gem.  Such great characters.  I only disliked it when they had silly plotlines.  Which was not often.  I DO NOT LIKE GOOFY judges.  Save that shit for Ally McBeal and Boston Legal.  I can handle the occasional eccentric lawyer.  Again, they didn't go the well too often with that.  

Yeah, I agree. Don't know how long they knew that it would be the final season but they didn't announce it until they ran a super bowl commercial claiming "the final episodes".

The judges were mostly hit than miss for me.

Worse plot line was the Kalinda/ex-hubby (in season 3?). Wasn't a fan of Kalinda and Peter either. Otherwise, The Good Wife was one of 2 or 3 shows that I watched the night it aired. My favorite thing was all the great stars that would come in for an arc.

https://amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/05/the-41-greatest-guest-stars-on-the-good-wife.html

Madam Secretary currently has taken its place. Love the writing and characters.

Yeah, I agree. Don't know how long they knew that it would be the final season but they didn't announce it until they ran a super bowl commercial claiming "the final episodes".

The judges were mostly hit than miss for me.

Worse plot line was the Kalinda/ex-hubby (in season 3?). Wasn't a fan of Kalinda and Peter either. Otherwise, The Good Wife was one of 2 or 3 shows that I watched the night it aired. My favorite thing was all the great stars that would come in for an arc.

https://amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/05/the-41-greatest-guest-stars-on-the-good-wife.html

Madam Secretary currently has taken its place. Love the writing and characters.

Wow, that list is a reminder of why I loved the show.  Although that is pretty typical for these shows to have great guest stars like that.  Whether it was a lawyer, doctor, or cop show, they all did that.  But I agree, this show had some great ones.  And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the silly judges.  Or the silly characters in general.  But those characters are only good because they are surrounded by straight men.  The more straight the show is, the more impactful the eccentric characters are.  But sometimes, not usually, but sometimes the eccentric factor was too high.  And I quit shows that fall down that hole.  Fortunately, the Good Wife only flirted with that.  Never actually fell down the hole.

"The Practice" was a great show back in the day.  It tried to strike the same balance.  But toward then end it got pretty crazy.  So much so that they spun off a completely new show "Boston Legal" just to contain the zaniness.  

I'd argue that all  David E Kelley shows started off great, then became worse as they fell down the insane rabbit hole:

2.2 Picket Fences (1992–1996)
2.3 Chicago Hope (1994–2000)
2.4 The Practice (1997–2004)
2.5 Ally McBeal (1997–2002)
2.6 Boston Public (2000–2004)
2.7 Boston Legal (2004–2008)

Tonight is the debut of "Six" starring Walter Goggins, the dramatizations of SEALTeam Six stories, for those of you with any testosterone left. 

Carlos.

Wow, that list is a reminder of why I loved the show.  Although that is pretty typical for these shows to have great guest stars like that.  Whether it was a lawyer, doctor, or cop show, they all did that.  But I agree, this show had some great ones.  And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the silly judges.  Or the silly characters in general.  But those characters are only good because they are surrounded by straight men.  The more straight the show is, the more impactful the eccentric characters are.  But sometimes, not usually, but sometimes the eccentric factor was too high.  And I quit shows that fall down that hole.  Fortunately, the Good Wife only flirted with that.  Never actually fell down the hole.

"The Practice" was a great show back in the day.  It tried to strike the same balance.  But toward then end it got pretty crazy.  So much so that they spun off a completely new show "Boston Legal" just to contain the zaniness.  

I'd argue that all  David E Kelley shows started off great, then became worse as they fell down the insane rabbit hole:

2.2 Picket Fences (1992–1996)

2.3 Chicago Hope (1994–2000)

2.4 The Practice (1997–2004)

2.5 Ally McBeal (1997–2002)

2.6 Boston Public (2000–2004)

2.7 Boston Legal (2004–2008)

You're right Keith, the show only flirted with that concept. Never really committed fully. Can't imagine how it would've turned out.

Numbers 1 and 2 on that list are spot on for me. Loved both those characters. I would've had MJF higher though. He was great.

As for those shows you mention above, never seen any of them.

Tonight is the debut of "Six" starring Walter Goggins, the dramatizations of SEALTeam Six stories, for those of you with any testosterone left.

Carlos.

Fantastic. Quite.

Obviously not currently on tv but I restarted the whole Breaking Bad series. Wife had only seen season one back when the DVD first came out. I've been sitting on the barrel (heh) set for over a year now and finally decided to run through the whole thing.

Love seeing her expression as she experiences these episodes for the first time. Just finished season 3 last night and her disappointment in realize it was too late to squeeze in another episode was amusing.

At this point, almost every episode ends in an intense cliffhanger.

On a related note: it's been widely reported that

Gus Fring

will show up in season three of Better Call Saul. Can't wait!

From the moment BCS was announced, i always hoped the final scene of the show would be when Walt and Jesse first meet Saul.