LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (It's out. It's good. Even the chump who started this thread finally bought one. Deal with it.)

Hadn’t realised but the Switch voucher scheme is a limited offer available only until the 31st of July (redemption is still 12months after purchase, however). However, this July date is curiously NOT specified anywhere on the European or Japanese eShop pages detailing the promotion, only the US store, so I don’t yet know whether it will run longer internationally.

They do promise to add more pre-orders in future, presumably when certain titles get an actual release date (you will soon be able to redeem a voucher against August’s release of Astral Chain for example, even if the scheme ends in July, so clearly it’s not being limited to titles out now or coming before 31st July. With luck E3 will date some games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing...etc).

My first instinct was to use the voucher to pre-order Super Mario Maker 2 and use the second voucher to buy Splatoon 2. If there are other preorders to be added to this list — presumably around E3 — I might have to wait and see. I really do want to try out Splatoon 2, but hesitate to spend a full $60 on it.

Definitely wait for future titles to get some dates. I’d expect at least one more significant pre-order to be added in future. I’m likely to go Mario Maker and Mario Tennis, and if Pokemon Shield and Luigi’s Mansion 3 or something get added I’ll buy another two vouchers.

Has anyone bought an 8bitdo M30 pad? Saw John from Digital Foundry tweeting about using it on the Castlevania collection. Reviews seem good, you just have to contend with backwards buttons if playing Nintendo games, but most importantly the d-pad seems really good. The pad is effectively a Megadrive and Saturn hybrid. Since Hori still wont bring their fight pad to Switch this appeals.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Definitely wait for future titles to get some dates. I’d expect at least one more significant pre-order to be added in future. I’m likely to go Mario Maker and Mario Tennis, and if Pokemon Shield and Luigi’s Mansion 3 or something get added I’ll buy another two vouchers.

Has anyone bought an 8bitdo M30 pad? Saw John from Digital Foundry tweeting about using it on the Castlevania collection. Reviews seem good, you just have to contend with backwards buttons if playing Nintendo games, but most importantly the d-pad seems really good. The pad is effectively a Megadrive and Saturn hybrid. Since Hori still wont bring their fight pad to Switch this appeals.

I have two M30’s for use with my Mega SG. They are superb. Mind you, I use the 2.4ghz versions which have almost no lag but the Bluetooth versions should serve you well on the Switch not only for Castlevania but for any Sega Ages title, too. The M30 has one of the best D-pads I’ve ever used on a third party controller. It’s as good if not slightly better than the original 6-button Genesis controller and on par with the Saturn. It’s godly for Street Fighter use if you invest in the 30th Anniversary collection.:)

• Like 1

All I needed to hear. Thanks. Been wanting to get Street Fighter Collection on Switch for a while but have been hesitant without a good d-pad on offer. Will buy the game when it next goes on sale and the pad around the same time.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:15 PM, Mark E said:

Owlboy. Amazing.

So far I’m just to the first boss, but it is a gorgeous 2D platformer with phenomenal controls.

I’m really taken with it thus far. It was a great choice for a vacation play.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:29 PM, JFo said:

Noted and added to my wish list.

...and started! I’m less than an hour into it, but I already like what I’ve seen. It's the perfect game to play post-Cuphead.

Nintendo's E3 Direct will air on Youtube on Tuesday the 11th (9am pacific, 12pm eastern, 5pm GMT)

Assorted Treehouse streams will run at various times throughout the day on the 11th to the 13th. A core Treehouse focus will be Mario Maker 2. 

Doesn't sound like they have a key game that will dominate their show booth this year. The PR blurb for the Direct notes that "The presentation, which focuses entirely on software, will offer a look at games scheduled to launch in 2019."   A fifteen Minute Pokemon Sword/Shield Direct is already scheduled for next week on the 5th, so it's fair to expect that known titles like Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain and the Link's Awakening remake will probably dominate the E3 Direct, but hopefully we get some surprise announcements for more 2019 titles too and finally some confirmation of the Metroid Prime remasters.

I'd also love some SNES game news for Switch. Surely it's time?

I like how they point out no hardware. Bursting bubbles before they even have a chance to float. 

They're typically very good at that kind of thing I have to say. They're good at moderating expectations in being quite specific about what the focus of a Direct is and how long it will run for. I'm definitely excited for the E3 Direct. I'm just hoping for some new software surprises on top of updates and release dates for stuff that's already been revealed for 2019.

Pokemon Sword and Shield will be added to the list of games available via the voucher promotion. Really looks like everything first party published is going into that offer, so anything new dated at E3 should be redeemable too.

Anyone who signed up for the free 12 months Switch Online via Twitch Prime should be receiving the email to redeem the remaining nine months. I got mine this morning and am now covered to the middle of January 2021!

• Like 1

Nintendo's E3 press release contains a full breakdown of events next week, and confirmation of an E3 eShop sale!

REDMOND, Wash., June 6, 2019 – As the E3 2019 video game trade show rapidly approaches, Nintendo provided more details about some of its activities around the June 11-13 event in Los Angeles. Nintendo confirmed that the Nintendo Switchgames available for people to play on the show floor include Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, which were the focus of a recently released Pokémon Direct.

Other games on the show floor include Luigi’s Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening and MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order, in addition to various other games playable in Nintendo’s booth. Fans will hear details about additional upcoming titles for Nintendo Switch during the Tuesday-morning Nintendo Direct presentation, with continued information during the week on Nintendo Treehouse: Live, with a focus on indie games on Thursday, June 13.

“The 2019 lineup for Nintendo Switch aims to deliver smiles with many different unique games and experiences,” said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. “Games available this holiday season will be the focus of our booth, and no matter where you live, you can participate in the fun events by watching Nintendo Treehouse: Live during E3 or visiting Nintendo Early Access events at Best Buy, which have a focus on MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order.”

Some of Nintendo’s activities during the week of E3 2019 include:

Multiple Game Tournaments: Teams from around the world gather to compete in multiple Nintendo Switch games on Saturday, June 8, at The Theatre at Ace Hotel at 929 S. Broadway St. in Los Angeles. The action starts at 11 a.m. with the Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019, in which four members of the Super Mario Maker community will compete in a variety of Super Mario Maker 2 courses. Next up, fans can enjoy the action of the Splatoon 2 World Championship 2019 and the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World Championship 2019 3v3 tournaments. The line for entry starts forming at 8 a.m. in front of The Theatre at Ace Hotel. Fans who want to watch in person can gain free entry after receiving an event badge in line on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors will open at 10 a.m. People can get additional ticket information at https://e3.nintendo.com/. Those who prefer to watch the competitions online can visit https://e3.nintendo.com/ and Nintendo’s channels on Twitch and YouTube.

Nintendo Direct: The presentation will begin at 9 a.m. PT on June 11. Viewers can watch it by visiting https://e3.nintendo.com/. The presentation, which focuses entirely on software, will offer a look at games scheduled to launch in 2019.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live: Nintendo of America’s Treehouse staff hosts a livestream from Nintendo’s booth at E3 that offers viewers live gameplay and commentary. The show on Tuesday, June 11, starts immediately following the Nintendo Direct presentation. For the next two days, the show is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. PT. For the first time ever, Nintendo is dedicating Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming on Thursday, June 13, to focus on indie games. People can view every day of the livestream at https://e3.nintendo.com/.

Nintendo Early Access at Best Buy: People watching the show from afar can still experience the fun and demo an upcoming game. For two days next week, 80 Best Buy locations across the country will host Nintendo Early Access events for MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order. Attendees will be among the first in the country to play the game. The events will take place 3-8 p.m. local time on Wednesday, June 12, and noon-5 p.m. local time on Saturday, June 15. Please visit Nintendo Early Access at Best Buy for more information.

Nintendo NY: Fans in New York can visit the Nintendo NY store for a variety of activities, including viewing parties for the tournaments, Nintendo Direct and Nintendo Treehouse: Live; hands-on gameplay with select Nintendo Switch games featured at E3; and the chance to receive exclusive premium items from the show via giveaways (while supplies last). All events are free and open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. For complete details about Nintendo NY activities, visit https://www.nintendonyc.com/.

Warp Pipe Pass: As always, Nintendo will have a variety of games to play in its booth. People who are attending the E3 2019 show can reduce the amount of time they wait in line for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 throughout most E3 event hours by reserving a free Warp Pipe Pass. The pass will allow them to gain priority access in line during their designated time to line up and play (while supplies last). A Nintendo Account is required to sign up and reserve a Warp Pipe Pass. Attendees can begin signing up as early as 5 p.m. PT today at https://experience.nintendo.com. Warp Pipe Passes are available to reserve until 11:59 p.m. PT the day before they can be used, or until all the passes are claimed, whichever comes first. For more details about the pass, visit https://e3.nintendo.com/warp-pipe-pass/.

Nintendo eShop Sale: To celebrate E3 2019, Nintendo is offering discounts on select digital Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS games in Nintendo eShop and on Nintendo.com. The sale starts at 10 a.m. PT on June 11 and runs through 11:59 p.m. PT on June 18. The full list of discounted games will be available for digital purchase at https://e3.nintendo.com/sale.

https://e3.nintendo.com

Pleased to see Luigi's Mansion 3 name checked. Good indicator that it is still on track for 2019. Curious absence of Animal Crossing mentioned, however. With such a packed Switch lineup this year I've been wondering if Animal Crossing could be the one biggie to slip to early 2020 (Spring is an ideal season for that kind of game it must be said), and this might just be the first indication that it isn't going to make it out in 2019. 

I'm betting on Luigi's Mansion for October as it's the obvious seasonal tie in for such a theme. Pokemon is mid November, so December is certainly free for Animal Crossing if they still plan to throw it out there. We could see it in the E3 Direct with a promise of a detailed AC Direct in September, leading to a December release or something, but you'd think they'd at least name drop it somewhere in the press release given that they already revealed it is in development (though they never revealed the actual title yet, so maybe that's why it's not mentioned?).

Cling to the "Fans will hear details about additional upcoming titles for Nintendo Switch during the Tuesday-morning Nintendo Direct presentation, with continued information during the week on Nintendo Treehouse" comment above I guess. Animal Crossing certainly lends itself well to a Treehouse deep dive more than a show floor playable title.

Link's Awakening can squeeze in anywhere between August and Dec I suspect.

Give us that Metroid Prime Trilogy for August/Sept. I'll take a Mario 3D Worlds Switch port while they're at it. :)

• Like 1

So that Mana collection that they announced...does that mean that Seiken Densetsu (sp?) 3 is finally getting translated and coming over? 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

So that Mana collection that they announced...does that mean that Seiken Densetsu (sp?) 3 is finally getting translated and coming over? 

It's available now on eShop. It features Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana and yes, 3 appears to be there as Trials of Mana (which is getting a 3D remake next year). A Physical release of the collection is also coming soon.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's available now on eShop. It features Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest, Secret of Mana and yes, 3 appears to be there as Trials of Mana (which is getting a 3D remake next year). A Physical release of the collection is also coming soon.

On the eshop as a full priced release no less.  I figured something like this would be $20-$30 as a retro collection, but it's coming up as $50 US. 

Also, is it just me missing something, or does the eshop web page (https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/switch/) not have a way to search for a title?  Seems like a pretty glaring omission (or just a well hidden search box).

4 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

On the eshop as a full priced release no less.  I figured something like this would be $20-$30 as a retro collection, but it's coming up as $50 US. 

Also, is it just me missing something, or does the eshop web page (https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/switch/) not have a way to search for a title?  Seems like a pretty glaring omission (or just a well hidden search box).

It's right at the top for me (the search bar)... Seems to work.

Yeah search is there, but it's a TERRIBLE website for navigating and making eShop purchases.

I suspect the Mana Collection pricing (it's £34 in the UK) is to capitalise on the inclusion of the third game. I'll definitely pick it up at a later date.

I’m glad Nintendo is taking their time on Animal Crossing. That will be a game I will be playing for a looong time.