LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

In case you were wondering, Nintendo Switch is doing very well, thank you very much.

Adam Bankhurst, writing for IGN:

Nintendo has revealed that, as of December 31, 2019, Nintendo Switch hardware unit sales have reached 52.48 million and that Pokemon Sword and Shield unit sales have reached 16.06 million.

These sales figures were given in Nintendo's latest earnings release and also confirmed that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 22.96 million units, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has sold 17.68 million units, Super Mario Odyssey has sold 16.59 million units, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold 16.34 million units.

Furthermore, Pokemon Sword and Shield's sales since its launch in November 2019 are already closing in on the lifetime sales of both Pokemon Sun & Moon (16.18 million) and Pokemon X & Y (16.44 million).

As noted in the article, these numbers put the lifetime sales of Switch hardware ahead of the SNES.

52 million units sold in less than three years is pretty damn impressive. If Nintendo can keep up this momentum, I don't see any reason why Switch won't join the 100 Million Club in the next few years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFo said:

52 million units sold in less than three years is pretty damn impressive. If Nintendo can keep up this momentum, I don't see any reason why Switch won't join the 100 Million Club in the next few years.

It helps to have a system where people are somewhat incentivized to buy multiple units.  I know someone who has four switches in the house, and while I think that's on outlier, the number of households that have at least two is probably not insignificant.  Would be interesting to see how that breaks down.  I know that by the end of the 3ds, we'd bought at least 4 of them, between upgraded versions, and getting them for the kids.

32 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

It helps to have a system where people are somewhat incentivized to buy multiple units.  I know someone who has four switches in the house, and while I think that's on outlier, the number of households that have at least two is probably not insignificant.  Would be interesting to see how that breaks down.  I know that by the end of the 3ds, we'd bought at least 4 of them, between upgraded versions, and getting them for the kids.

It's funny you bring that up because, so far in my household, I've only purchased one Nintendo Switch (for myself), but I've owned four PS4s (two regular, two Pro models). 😆

Yep, we have two in the house here and I wouldn’t say no to a third if we get a significant hardware revision.

Nintendo may skimp on the horsepower but it actually pays off in a way because it’s typically less of a bitter pill to swallow with regards to the cost of the upgrade.

The dock is quite cute, but it's the Joy-Cons with their white backs/sliders and matching straps that I really want. Not least because it might reduce incidents of people putting them on the wrong way and having to gingerly rip them off again.

Pop’n TwinBee is great.

There’s going to be a blockbuster sale on the UK eShop tomorrow:

Not sure there’s anything major that I’m likely to pick at having grabbed Three Houses at Christmas, but we’ll see. I’ve got plenty in rotation right now.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:10 AM, Robot Monkey said:

Time for a service then, boo.

@Robot Monkey - did you ever look into this? I've been playing Dragon Quest 11 the last month or so, and I've noticed that when I first start the game up, my Switch fan(s) go crazy for about the first minute, but then they are silent the rest of the session. It's definitely odd, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. This is docked and I got my Switch about a year ago. Thanks!

I didn't, but then I haven't really touched it since Thrag the Barbarian completed Puzzle Quest.

I still notice it once in a while when Ruth uses the Switch in handheld mode and it really sounds like a bad fan bearing to me.

But I've done nothing about it.

• Like 1

Not even an Animal Crossing fan but I’ve been wanting to get a new Switch anyways and the value on this thing is jumping so if they do announce a Switch Pro, I  can always flip it. The base is too damned adorable though and I love the joycon colors and the matte finish on them feels great.

9C229667-7E94-4B42-BCB9-8BF3D215ECC7.jpeg

Also came across the Japanese physical release of “I Am Setsuna” which is a wonderful little Chrono Trigger like RPG I’ve been wanting to get but wanted to hold off for physical. That time came today.

BAE15C7C-07C3-4502-893B-A7CD457193B1.jpeg

• Like 4

Animal Crossing has some kind of splitscreen? I didn't know that!

We got an extra pair of joycons thinking it would be nice for 4-player party games, but it seems we aren't doing much entertaining.

15 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Animal Crossing has some kind of splitscreen? I didn't know that!

We got an extra pair of joycons thinking it would be nice for 4-player party games, but it seems we aren't doing much entertaining.

It's not split-screen per se, I think you have a leader and everyone has to stay on the screen with that leader:

https://www.howtogeek.com/664085/how-to-play-couch-co-op-in-animal-crossing-new-horizons-with-one-switch-console/