LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

We're well overdue a Bayonetta 3 update.

Other previously announced games I can think of off the top of my head:

Breath of the Wild sequel

Metroid Prime 4

That’s it. I know there’s more, but I’m drawing a blank here.

The Nocturne remaster is hype. Though I’d much prefer it on the more powerful consoles. Same for Shin Megami Tensei V, frankly.

Looks like there’s no Dante in the remaster so there will still be good reason to keep my PS2 version.

Edit: Ooo, the Nocturne Remaster is PS4 as well!

On 7/18/2020 at 8:00 AM, Graeme said:

I finally just got an SD card for my Switch, and thought I got a good Samsung one. I’ve been getting a lot of games crashing unexpectedly since getting it. 

Has anyone experienced this? Wondering if I should return the card. 

I had a micro SD card (PNY Elite 128GB) go bad on me. At first, it would error out whenever I tried to update a game or download a new game. Then, the Switch stopped recognizing the card. I've been using SanDisk micro SD cards ever since without any problems.

What does Nintendo have lined up for this holiday season? Surely Zelda has to be the game. 

Zelda's 35th Anniversary is in 2021, so I am expecting the BOTW sequel to come as part of that celebration next year.

Assuming it's real, my expectation is the Mario 3D collection for the holidays this year, and that's it. I'd be OK with that, though if they also want to surprise us with a new Pikmin game I'd take that too. 

I'll tell you what. If Nintendo launched Breath of the Wild 2 against the PS5 and Series X, it would definitely disrupt my next-gen purchasing plans. It's like, why bother getting either of those machines at launch if I'm not going to be playing them for a couple months?

4 minutes ago, JFo said:

I'll tell you what. If Nintendo launched Breath of the Wild 2 against the PS5 and Series X, it would definitely disrupt my next-gen purchasing plans. It's like, why bother getting either of those machines at launch if I'm not going to be playing them for a couple months?

I think I'd feel exactly the same. I'm not expecting Nintendo to throw us that kind of curveball, but I am still wary of a slim possibility. I think Zelda will be Spring at the earliest though, probably late 2021 in all likelihood as I would expect some kind of Zelda compilation, and/or the port of the Wind Waker remaster or something beforehand. I also think COVID-19 has been particularly tough on Nintendo development as business life in Japan does not seem well suited for adapting to work from home.

I could still go another year with just my Switch to be honest, but I feel ready to partner it with another system and broaden my choice of games again.

I hope we get confirmation on a Mario collection soon. I'm holding off on Paper Mario for now as if I get that, and then the 3D Collection becomes a reality, that's going to be an awful lot of Mario virtually back to back for me. Much as I love the little guy, I'd like to space things out a little, even though I respect the fact that Paper Mario's gameplay style and writing style are unique. In the meantime I just need to clear a few more games from my backlog and SD card before I start buying anything else, and certainly before I entertaining buying one of the next-gen consoles. 

I actually just needed to upgrade to a 256 GB SD card in the switch.  That's the problem with having a kid who plays several different games at once :)

I was actually wondering what was up with all that Mario stuff that was rumored.  It seems like Nintendo took a pass on "E3" this year, which is where I presume we'd have heard about that collection.  I suppose there's still a chance it could surprise release with a direct later this year?  Origami king was what-2 months from trailer to release? 

If Zelda is 2021, I wonder if that means Metroid next year too?  Haven't heard much about that one recently.  Also, what about Bayonetta 3?  Could that hit this year? 

Like Sony and Microsoft, the pandemic has really messed up Nintendo's plans both from a marketing and development perspective, so we've had all these mini Directs spread out over several months drip feeding us little bits of information. I'm hoping we'll get a bigger one soon because the slate for the second half of the year is empty so far. I'd love to know what their show floor game was supposed to have been at E3 (Paper Mario would most likely been left for the Treehouse). We should definitely get something soon. I really hope we get a Direct in August.

Metroid could be next year, but I'm thinking early 2022 may be more likely. It was only in January of last year that Nintendo announced development had been scrapped and Retro had come on board as the new studio to lead the project. 

I very much doubt Bayonetta 3 will surface this year. It would be a crazy surprise as we've still not seen a frame of gameplay.

Thanks for that.  My wife's, also a launch unit, was just stupidly bad when I was on it the other night.  I really didn't want to go through the hassle of sending them in for repair.  

edit: so that seemed to work. We’ll have to wait and see if it lasts. 

Also my son finally mentioned to me about how he has to be online for his dlc to work. Most, if not all, of his games are physical which is probably why it hasn’t been a major issue for him. That’s disappointing. 

I'm excited to try this out... At least 3 of the 4 joycons we have all have drift.  Not sure on the fourth because no one uses them anymore.  Will be trying this out after my next amazon delivery.

Looks like I fixed at least two of ours. I told my wife to tell me if it starts acting up again. These were just the left ones. I did nothing to the right ones. 

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

So since i basically love DLSS now I find it interesting that since they use Nvidia tech it could be coming to Switch or its successor.   Makes total sense and could really bridge some gaps with the system. 

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-dlss-2-0/

It seems like a reasonable expectation given there's a more basic form of AI upscaling present in the NVIDIA Shield (they lack the cores that fuel true deep learning acceleration however, but that's not to say a future X1 chip that could power a Switch2 wouldn't have such capabilities).

7 hours ago, JFo said:

@MastaRedSnappa Care to share that YouTube video? I’m having the same issue with my left jon con and I’d like to try this out.

There’s not a whole lot to it. I needed my wife’s hands to hold the controller and keep the stick held in one direction. Then I used the toothpick to hold the rubber flap under the joystick up with one hand while my other hand applied two quick squirts of the cleaner. Then wiggled the stick around and repeated the whole process with the stick in the opposite direction. That’s it. Done in less than 5 minutes.  

And getting a good look at the JoyCon now, that little rubber flap is likely the entire reason crap gets into the stick. That’s a poor design decision and different from just about every analog stick I’ve ever seen. 

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

There’s not a whole lot to it. I needed my wife’s hands to hold the controller and keep the stick held in one direction. Then I used the toothpick to hold the rubber flap under the joystick up with one hand while my other hand applied two quick squirts of the cleaner. Then wiggled the stick around and repeated the whole process with the stick in the opposite direction. That’s it. Done in less than 5 minutes. 

Okay, thanks. I’ll take a look at it tonight or maybe tomorrow. I’m away from home on vacation at the moment and brought my Switch with to play some games. I’ve been noticing some drift with the left thumb stick the past couple weeks, but haven’t done anything about it. I’ve been mostly playing Tetris 99 while in handheld mode, and that game just uses the “D-pad” for movement with the thumb stick mostly going unused.

I found a nearby Walmart that had both the WD-40 and an extra pair of joy cons (supposedly) in stock. I ordered both in case the WD-40 doesn’t do the trick. I’m just waiting for them to confirm they are ready for pickup before heading out to get it.

My Walmart took forever to confirm, but they had like 4 cans on the shelf. So I just bought one and canceled the online order. Do make sure it’s the right kind of WD40. Whether you or an associate gets it. 

I tried the WD-40 on my left joy con this evening, and it appears to be working so far. I managed to figure out where to lift up the rubber flap easily enough and get the WD-40 underneath. It took two rounds of spray though because the first time the drift returned after about 15 minutes. When I sprayed it the second time, I made sure to wiggle the thumb stick around for a minute or two to make sure I got it in there. After the second round, I played Mario + Rabbids for 30-45 minutes and didn’t see any drifting at all.

I can’t say the stick feels any different to me. It feels the same as it did before, so I’m not convinced that gunk caused the drifting. Hopefully, I’ll get to play a bit more tomorrow and determine whether or not this fix solved the issue. I still have the extra pair of joy cons ready to go if need be. At the very least, I will keep them until I head home later this week.