LCVG
Angry the Clown

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

Thanks for the tip on this. Both of my Joy Cons are exhibiting drift and it's getting worse. I'll pick up some of the cleaner and give this a go.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:27 PM, JFo said:

@MastaRedSnappa Care to share that YouTube video? I’m having the same issue with my left jon con and I’d like to try this out.

Sorry for the late response. If you still need it, here's the video I watched (method #1):

After spraying the contact cleaner, this video says to leave the joy-con to dry. I watched other videos and they said to move the analog stick around while it dries (which is what I ended up doing).

On 8/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, JFo said:

I tried the WD-40 on my left joy con this evening, and it appears to be working so far. I managed to figure out where to lift up the rubber flap easily enough and get the WD-40 underneath. It took two rounds of spray though because the first time the drift returned after about 15 minutes. When I sprayed it the second time, I made sure to wiggle the thumb stick around for a minute or two to make sure I got it in there. After the second round, I played Mario + Rabbids for 30-45 minutes and didn’t see any drifting at all.

I can’t say the stick feels any different to me. It feels the same as it did before, so I’m not convinced that gunk caused the drifting. Hopefully, I’ll get to play a bit more tomorrow and determine whether or not this fix solved the issue. I still have the extra pair of joy cons ready to go if need be. At the very least, I will keep them until I head home later this week. 

On the left joy-con that was really drifting badly, I had to spray it again the next day too.

As far as the stick feeling different, what I was talking about in my case was that when I would push the analog stick in a direction and let go, it wouldn't snap back to center. It would kind of slowly move back to center (I visually confirmed this behavior in the Switch's stick calibration menu). The contact cleaner got rid of that problem so the analog stick feels snappy again.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I’m going to say that the WD-40 did the trick and fixed the joy con. I played my Switch quite a bit the last couple days, playing games like Mario + RabbidsDonkey Kong Country, and Mario Kart 8 — all of which I used the left thumb stick to control. Despite several hours of play, I have yet to see any sign of drift, and things look good when I go to the calibrate analog stick screen in the system settings.

When I get back home, I’ll return the extra joy cons I bought to Walmart and get my $85 back. Hopefully, karma won’t be a bitch and cause the joy con to start drifting again once the return is made. 

Thanks, @MastaRedSnappa for the tip and saving me a bunch of money!

• Like 1