LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It's dangerous to go alone. Take this...and this....and this and this. And don't forget your sweater!"   We're coddling children with safe spaces these days 😄

I've a Blu-ray player to sell and have also decided to sell my Vita which I am surprised to see still goes for a respectable sum on eBay (particularly boxed OLED models like mine). So whatever I get f

Posted Images

I woke up on release day to go get donuts, there was a Best Buy near and only saw two people in line and they were about to open, so I parked and got in line. Feels like that will probably be the last console I buy that I won't have a frustrating experience getting.

I'll just re-share the post I made the day after I got mine:

On 4/26/2017 at 9:01 AM, JFo said:

Yesterday was my birthday, so I decided to treat myself. I took a trip over to the local Target to buy some awesome Nintendo gear. Of course, I'm talking about getting two Wii U Pro Controllers. With the system out of production and fading into history, I figured I'd better pick up a couple extras while I can still find them at stores at semi-decent prices. I always like to grab a few extra controllers for consoles that are on their way out in case I ever get the urge to hook them up and play again.

While I was there, I took a look around the video game aisle and noticed they also had some Switches in stock. So, I bought one of those as well. :) I also bought a Pro Controller. I figured it was my birthday and the first time I had ever seen any in stock at a store. It was fate. Hell, even the Target employees were surprised to see some in stock.

After the kiddos went to bed, I unboxed my new toy and set it up. I don't have any games for it yet, so I didn't actually play anything. I figured I'll do that when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out on Friday. I did throw some games into my wish list though I ordered a Micro SDXC card (team 256GB!). Now all I have to do is finish Breath of the Wild on Wii U. Maybe I'll finish up this week while I'm on vacation.

I still have that Switch. My only regret now is that I bought the one with grey joy cons instead of the blue and red. I have the red and blue ones now that you can buy separately, and I love how they look. They just give the system so much personality.

The OLED Vita was so nice, it would be great if a higher end Switch was built to such a standard. That said, I doubt it would entice me to buy one given how rare it is for me to use the system undocked, and with my want to pick up a SeriesX later in the year it seems unfeasible that I'll also spend money upgrading a console I already own. I'm still perfectly at ease with how good Switch games look on my TV too, so unless we start to see serious performance issues with future games on the current hardware then I'll probably feel OK sitting this one out. 

I kind of feel the same way I’m still very happy with my launch Switch even after four years. I still use it as a mix of handheld and docked and it still works brilliantly for both so I’m not too desperate for an upgrade. 

• 3 weeks later...

It would have to be very compelling for me to get it, and there'd have to be future first party games that ran like trash on the current hardware in comparison to be honest. There's no way I can entertain upgrading the Switch this year given my want for a new computer and a SeriesX. Still, I'm looking forward to it being formally revealed.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how fast paced and chaotic the games get. I just got my first victory after 20 games (~45 min of playtime). It's a really great addition to NSO. It's a shame they took Mario 35 away because these exclusive battle royale remixes of classic games are a big part of NSO's appeal to me since Nintendo is so lax about adding more NES/SNES games to NSO.

19 hours ago, Graeme said:

I’m worse at PAC Man than Tetris (and I’m not good at Tetris) but this looks like it could be fun. 

I'm probably equally bad at both, but just like Tetris 99 this is nevertheless hugely entertaining. The "just one more try" factor may be the highest of any of the 99 games to date. They've certainly been a great asset to the Nintendo Online Subscription.