LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

They even had a bit in that reveal video where a guy gets home and then sits playing a switch game in the front hall instead of going and docking it on a big ass TV like a normal person (or even sitting somewhere more comfortable than a bench in the hall).  I guess some people really must use it that way though? 

You would be surprised by how often I will sit on my couch in our family room in front of our big screen TV... and play Tetris 99 in handheld mode.

EDIT: And here's the real kicker: Often times, the Switch will already be docked to the TV when I pick it up to play it. That's right, I will undock the Switch to play it in handheld mode while sitting in front of the big TV.

39 minutes ago, JFo said:

You would be surprised by how often I will sit on my couch in our family room in front of our big screen TV... and play Tetris 99 in handheld mode.

EDIT: And here's the real kicker: Often times, the Switch will already be docked to the TV when I pick it up to play it. That's right, I will undock the Switch to play it in handheld mode while sitting in front of the big TV.

gross jeff goldblum GIF

1 hour ago, kelley said:

Not that there was any doubt after the announcement but Nintendo confirmed to The Verge there is no CPU or RAM improvements in the Switch OLED, nor is there Bluetooth headphone support.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/6/22565118/nintendo-oled-switch-cpu-ram-bluetooth-audio-headphones-dock-no-4k

Nintendo must be saving Bluetooth headphone support for the New Nintendo Switch OLED SMH

I'm kind of surprised that they appeared to have moved the air intake vents from the back to the bottom. I figured with the wider kickstand, they were just going to put openings on the kickstand so that the vents wouldn't be blocked when the kickstand was closed.

I have no need for one, but I'm sure I'll end up with one. Having a larger screen in handheld mode would be nice.

9 hours ago, JFo said:

I’ll do this sometimes too. There is a different feeling lying down on the couch with the system in your hands and the screen only a foot away from your face and headphones that I sometimes prefer over sitting on the couch looking at a TV 8 feet away. 

I'll be interested to see if there is in fact some real world improvement to the battery life. I know in the specs they're saying it's the same, and we know the battery capacity itself is the same, but the nature of OLED may give it a tiny bit more longevity. 

6 hours ago, King of All Cosmos said:

Kind of relieved that the new Switch doesn't have more improvements, as it makes it easier to stick with the original and wait for a more substantial upgrade later on.

Definitely. My bank account really didn't need the temptation this year. 

Jim Sterling offering their opinion on the announcement of the OLED Switch announcement and reactions that followed:

Surprisingly, Jim doesn't have any ire here against Nintendo. Instead, it's reserved for the gaming websites that hyped up the unconfirmed rumors that the Switch Pro was imminent, then admonished their readers for believing the hype was real.

I think this is a good take. I don't really feel any disappointment from Nintendo here. I always thought it was ludicrous to expect an upgrade to Switch while it's still selling like gangbusters. I expect we'll see Switch 2 within the next couple years, just as sales for the current start to become really sluggish.

22 hours ago, JFo said:

I think this is a good take. I don't really feel any disappointment from Nintendo here. I always thought it was ludicrous to expect an upgrade to Switch while it's still selling like gangbusters.

I'm not disappointed either.  I would've cheerfully bought a Switch Pro, but that there won't be one this year (and maybe ever) didn't get much more of a reaction than "oh, okay" from me.

At the same time, I continue to think there's some basis to Bloomberg's reporting (especially since they got so many details about the OLED model correct except...well, the Pro element), whether it was an idea that was deeply explored but ultimately scuttled, something that was in the works but delayed (due to sales being so strong right now, chip shortages, etc.), or something that was always meant to be just a bit further down the line.

It's not in the Bloomberg article, but I've definitely seen that going around.  From GameReactor:

Both, the regular model and the smaller and cheaper Switch Lite feature the latest version of the Nvidia Tegra X1 Mariko. The source told Gamereactor that Nvidia plans to stop producing the processor in 2021, but did not elaborate further on what comes next or what may happen with the current versions of the hardware.

I snagged the blue and red one for myself. I’m not 100% sure I’ll keep the preorder or cancel it. I do like the fact that I have one in reserve though in case I decide I want it/need it.