LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

I'm sad I never embraced it fully. I only ever had a 2DS for the briefest of time for an Animal Crossing fix. I really did want the New 3DS XL or 2DS XL but just never got round to acquiring one and am not really in the position financially to go hunting for one these days either. It's weird to think that DS and 3DS games might never have a second life through backward compatibility since it's hard to imagine Nintendo making a similar handheld again.

Nintendo announced two Crash Bandicoot bundles today on the eShop (no mention of a physical release):

Crash Bandicoot - Crashiversary Bundle (N. Sane Trilogy + Crash Team Racing + 4: It's About Time). Regular price $99.99. On sale for $59.99 until 07/27/2021. Separately, the games cost $119.97.

Crash Bandicoot - Quadrilogy Bundle (N. Sane Trilogy + 4: It's About Time). Regular price $69.99. On sale for $41.99 until 07/27/2021. Separately, the games cost $79.98.

3 hours ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

Three more titles announced for Nintendo Switch Online (available 07/28/2021):

Claymates (SNES)

Jelly Boy (SNES)

Bombuzal (SNES)

😐 

I have no issue with them putting on obscure, unknown, and even bad games. But it’s just embarrassing that this is what gets released when you consider what is missing and how often new releases come. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. The fact that it’s outselling Wii is impressive. It seems to have done it so quietly too. I remember when the Wii and DS were both so hot and we kept marvelling about how much they sold, and how they were just printing money.

Where are the Switch money printing memes?

image.gif.de8c3312eb58c3bae9eb7e64a9e39a8d.gif
(besides the lame photoshops of this one).

• 3 weeks later...

Gameboy and Gameboy Colour games heading to Switch Online?

Nintendo is set to add Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles to Nintendo Switch Online, Eurogamer sources have confirmed. 

Word that Nintendo will bulk up its Switch Online back catalogue first broke earlier this week via the Nate the Hate podcast, which discussed various possible handheld games Nintendo could bring to the Switch subscription offering. Nintendo Life sources then offered their own confirmation. 

Now, Eurogamer has been able to separately corroborate these reports - and we have heard that other retro platforms are also on the cards.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-03-game-boy-and-game-boy-color-titles-headed-to-nintendo-switch-online

It'll be interesting to see what GB/GBC games they add. The Super Mario Land/Donkey Kong Land series are no-brainers. Will they add the original Link's Awakening when they are selling the Switch remake? Pokemon Yellow when they are selling the Switch remakes, Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee? I doubt we'll see many major third party games like Mega Man, especially ones that already came out on Switch compilations like Castlevania/Contra. Could Nintendo work out a deal to bring the most iconic Game Boy game, Tetris, to NSO?

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

Which all but guarantees they won’t be added. 

I think Nintendo has been pretty good about adding their first-party titles to the NES and SNES libraries. It’s the third-party offerings that have sucked. So I fully expect all the Nintendo classics to appear. Just don’t expect much more than that.

There's a rumor being reported by gaming websites about a price cut of the V2 Switch next week:

Rumour: Switch Will Reportedly Receive A Price Cut Ahead Of The OLED Model's Launch - Nintendo Life

I don't really understand why Nintendo would be dropping the price of the V2 Switch as that would make the OLED Switch look even less attractive ahead of its launch next month. Unless they also dropped the price of the OLED Switch. But the excitement for the OLED Switch would've been so much higher if it was announced at $300 from the start. Changing it 1 month before it launches looks like some Keystone Cops marketing. Also the V2 Switch only being $50 more than the Switch Lite would not be good for Switch Lite sales.

I still have my preorder with Best Buy for the OLED model. I am very seriously considering canceling it. I have some other big purchases I might want to divert those funds to down the road. Specifically, some new hi-fi gear that I’ve been meaning to get for a while. We’ll see. If the price does come down, I may reconsider. I still like the idea of owning the best Switch available, even if the upgrades are modest at best.

Christ, listen to me. I sound like @Angry the Clown.