LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

Some thoughts after running some tests (comparing bluetooth Apple AirPods Pro with wired Apple Earbuds):

- The max volume of wired audio is about 50% higher than with bluetooth audio. Each audio output has its own saved volume level when you switch between them.

- On bluetooth audio, the sound seems more compressed and has more static, mostly noticeable in the higher pitched sounds.

- Lag for bluetooth audio was not noticeably worse than wired audio. I bought (and returned) a bluetooth adapter that plugged into the Switch's USB-C port because it had noticeable lag.

- I did not notice any change in the performance of the joy-cons (used wirelessly) while using bluetooth audio (I was sitting a couple of feet away from the Switch).

It seems like Nintendo prioritized minimizing lag over sound quality by being aggressive with the compression. The sound quality is not great but I think it is acceptable for casual use. Nintendo could have limited this feature to just the upcoming OLED Switch but they gave it to all Switch owners (albeit 4.5 years late) and I think that deserves some praise. It has its trade-offs but it's a welcome addition to me.

I ran the same tests on the Switch Lite:

- Max volume bluetooth audio on my Switch Lite is even quieter than on my regular Switch (about 33% compared to wired audio).

- I did not hear the compressed/static sound on high pitch sounds on the Switch Lite compared to the regular Switch. This may be due to the max volume being noticeably less. 
- Like with the regular Switch, I did not see any noticeable lag when using Bluetooth audio.

In a loud environment, the Bluetooth audio would not be useful on the Switch Lite. It’s just not loud enough to overcome any background noises. 

Nintendo have announced a 40 minute Nintendo Direct for tomorrow:

That's surprisingly late time scheduling for those in Europe (11pm for the UK and midnight on the continent). The emphasis on games "launching this winter" is disappointing given how much we already know of the winter slate, but hopefully there will be room for some decent reveals of 2022 titles. At the very least we'll hopefully get confirmation of that Gameboy news.