LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

Some thoughts after running some tests (comparing bluetooth Apple AirPods Pro with wired Apple Earbuds):

- The max volume of wired audio is about 50% higher than with bluetooth audio. Each audio output has its own saved volume level when you switch between them.

- On bluetooth audio, the sound seems more compressed and has more static, mostly noticeable in the higher pitched sounds.

- Lag for bluetooth audio was not noticeably worse than wired audio. I bought (and returned) a bluetooth adapter that plugged into the Switch's USB-C port because it had noticeable lag.

- I did not notice any change in the performance of the joy-cons (used wirelessly) while using bluetooth audio (I was sitting a couple of feet away from the Switch).

It seems like Nintendo prioritized minimizing lag over sound quality by being aggressive with the compression. The sound quality is not great but I think it is acceptable for casual use. Nintendo could have limited this feature to just the upcoming OLED Switch but they gave it to all Switch owners (albeit 4.5 years late) and I think that deserves some praise. It has its trade-offs but it's a welcome addition to me.

I ran the same tests on the Switch Lite:

- Max volume bluetooth audio on my Switch Lite is even quieter than on my regular Switch (about 33% compared to wired audio).

- I did not hear the compressed/static sound on high pitch sounds on the Switch Lite compared to the regular Switch. This may be due to the max volume being noticeably less. 
- Like with the regular Switch, I did not see any noticeable lag when using Bluetooth audio.

In a loud environment, the Bluetooth audio would not be useful on the Switch Lite. It’s just not loud enough to overcome any background noises. 

Nintendo have announced a 40 minute Nintendo Direct for tomorrow:

That's surprisingly late time scheduling for those in Europe (11pm for the UK and midnight on the continent). The emphasis on games "launching this winter" is disappointing given how much we already know of the winter slate, but hopefully there will be room for some decent reveals of 2022 titles. At the very least we'll hopefully get confirmation of that Gameboy news. 

Indeed. The higher priced "expansion pack"  (*sigh*) for Nintendo Switch Online will be a new tier offering N64 and MegaDrive/Genesis titles for the system:

N64 launch titles (supporting 4-player online play where applicable):

• Super Mario 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Mario Tennis
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • WinBack: Covert Operations (.........)
  • Sin and Punishment

Additional N64 titles teased but with no date given:

• Banjo Kazooie (!)
  • F-Zero X
  • Kirby: The Crystal Shards
  • Majora's Mask
  • Mario Golf
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokemon Snap

MegaDrive launch titles:

• Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Musha
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Ristar
  • Shining Force
  • Shinobi III
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Strider

$50 wireless N64 and (three button 😩) Megadrive controllers also coming.

Pricing for the Online Expansion Pass was not revealed in the stream, though it was noted that existing subs will be able to upgrade.

$50 to buy a N64 controller. A garbage ass controller design that to this day is nearly unrivaled in its undeterred shittiness. Then the same price for a three button Genesis pad? LMAO.

…..and pay a higher price tier to wait for them to drip feed out 5 games a year? Ok, Nintendo. They certainly have balls, I’ll give them that.

I canceled my switch online subscription awhile ago and it’s not missed.

Sorry, didn’t mean to bring things down.:)

Of the 14 Genesis titles Nintendo announced for the NSO expansion pack, only 3 are not already available on the Switch (Ecco, MUSHA, and Strider).

I honestly would have rather had GB/GBC games than Genesis games (especially when so many of them are already available on the Switch). I wonder if the expansion pack (and the incredible drop in new games) means we'll likely not get any more NES/SNES games added to NSO.

5 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

Of the 14 Genesis titles Nintendo announced for the NSO expansion pack, only 3 are not already available on the Switch (Ecco, MUSHA, and Strider).

I will be VERY interested to see if the NSO versions of the AGES titles already available for purchase are in fact the M2 versions. I'd be surprised.

5 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

I honestly would have rather had GB/GBC games than Genesis games (especially when so many of them are already available on the Switch). 

I agree. 

10 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Then the same price for a three button Genesis pad? LMAO.

Especially when the SNES controller was only $29.99!  I can’t wrap my head around it.  Well, that’s not true; Nintendo just knows people will pay.  But that’s disgusting.  And not even the 6 button version that changed my life as a kid.  :)

I admittedly have barely touched my Switch this year, so I guess I forgot what Switch games look like.  As excited as I was in theory to see Bayonetta 3, I felt like I was watching a trailer from 2009 or something.

10 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Especially when the SNES controller was only $29.99!  I can’t wrap my head around it.  Well, that’s not true; Nintendo just knows people will pay.  But that’s disgusting.  And not even the 6 button version that changed my life as a kid.  :)

$50 should be the price for 2 three-button Genesis controllers

46 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

This was a bigger WTF than the controller pricing to be fair:

Pratt is Mario, Taylor-Joy is Peach, Day is Luigi, Black is Bowser, Key is Toad, Rogen is Donkey Kong.....

I genuinely didn't think they were going to go that kind of route with the voices for the movie.

The worst part is you got Pratt voicing Mario while Sebastian Maniscalco is on your cast list.

Why Would You Do That GIF by Sebastian Maniscalco

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Bluetooth-Gamepad-Nintendo-Android-Genesis/dp/B07MSN1NPC/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=8bitdo+genesis&qid=1632441986&sr=8-10

$20 cheaper and feels as good if not better than the original 6-button. It will work just fine on the Switch.

Or if you're just married to the original design?

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Wireless-Controller-8-Button-Original/dp/B07WP2ZYNR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=retrobit+genesis+wireless&qid=1632442041&sr=8-1

It's officially licensed by Sega and uses the same plastics used in the original controller. Oh and it will work on your PC/Mac/Switch and the original Genesis since its includes both receivers. Still $15 cheaper.

N64 you ask?

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B091QVBN73/ref=sr_1_5?crid=NKAFNKYXLYBK&dchild=1&keywords=n64+wireless+controller&qid=1632442241&sprefix=N64+wireles%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-5

Based on the excellent and well regarded Hori mini-pad that was released during the N64 era, the Tribute shifts the D-Pad over for better placement and loses the shit-tier boomerang design for actual comfort. It's still $10 cheaper and it has the same flexibility to work on other platforms other than the Switch.

We live in a golden age of choice when it comes to retro controller access and the ability to play these older games without much fuss. Fuck this price gouging bullshit.

EDIT: For posterity, this is what I used on my original N64:

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Fighters-Brawler64-Next-Controller-Game/dp/B078KHKHPX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2BYWPID91CKKA&dchild=1&keywords=n64+retro+fighters&qid=1632442536&sprefix=n64+retro+fighter%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1

It's god tier and I haven't touched an original N64 controller since I bought one. If only they did a wireless version compatible with the Switch!

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Pratt is Mario, Taylor-Joy is Peach, Day is Luigi, Black is Bowser, Key is Toad, Rogen is Donkey Kong.....

How did Nintendo not get Wernor Herzog to play Mario? SMH.

Life on our planet has been a constant series of cataclysmic events, and we are more suitable for extinction than a trilobite or a reptile. So we will vanish. There's no doubt in my heart. And what's with that goddamn ape throwing barrels at me?