LCVG

Nintendo Switch discussion thread (Switch Lite, handheld only for $200 announced and launching 20th Sept 2019)

13 hours ago, Romier S said:

…..and pay a higher price tier to wait for them to drip feed out 5 games a year? Ok, Nintendo. They certainly have balls, I’ll give them that.

That's exactly what I thought.  Not only a drip feed of new retro games, but saying that they're going to charge more for them?  Look, I'm paying for NSO because my son plays a lot of smash and splatoon online, but no way am I going up to a higher tier for things that I can already play on five different devices that are already in my house. 

I can’t quite wrap my head around much of the casting for the movie. Is Chris Pratt just going to be Chris Pratt? Will he be doing some sort of voice? Will Toad just be Ducky from Toy Story 4?

I also thought it was hilarious that they described Luigi as “timid”. Who should we get to play Mario’s “timid” brother?…. Charlie Day!

This may be one of my favourite reaction videos ever. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I meant to post that earlier. 

I told my wife about the Mario casting and she thought they were all good, especially Christ Pratt because he’s funny and will make the movie fun. She couldn’t understand why anyone would have an issue with it. 

On 9/24/2021 at 11:08 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I wish MK8 wasn't Nintendo's sales equivalent to GTAV so we could actually have a sequel though. 

Only one per console (home circuit doesn’t count). We got our Switch one early (and it was a special edition/rerelease to boot). 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

Only one per console (home circuit doesn’t count). We got our Switch one early (and it was a special edition/rerelease to boot). 

I'm not even sure MK8 should count since it's a port of a Wii U game. It's brilliant. Arguably my favourite Mario Kart since the GBA game, but it's truly like GTA which never had a new entry on PS4. "Why bother when this port is selling so well?"  At least in Mario Kart 8's case it got a second life given lacklustre Wii U sales. GTAV really didn't need a second life... and certainly not a third.

Metroid Dread feels right at home on Nintendo’s new OLED Switch

Cameron Faulkner of TheVerge with a nice hands-on with both Metroid Dread and the new OLED Nintendo Switch:

The most impressive feature in Nintendo’s new Switch model is its seven-inch OLED screen, giving games more vivid-looking colors and deeper contrast. It also has an improved kickstand that’s more functional and versatile than the one on the default Switch. But what’s a new system launch without a killer app? I was able to play the first 90 minutes of Metroid Dread, and not only does it look like it was worth the 19-year-long wait for a sequel to Metroid Fusion, but it might also be the ideal showcase for Nintendo’s new OLED Switch.

Dread is coming to the Switch on October 8th, 2021, the same day as Nintendo’s latest iteration of the tablet / console hybrid. There are many games that I’m looking forward to trying with the OLED screen, but Dread looked particularly stunning. Its sci-fi world seems even more fully realized (and creepy) on a display that allows for deeper blacks. The details in the 2D-meets-3D environments really stick out as a result of this screen tech, as do all of the new enemy varieties.

It sounds like a nice upgrade over the original model. I still have my pre-order at Best Buy. As luck would have it, I am taking a trip with my wife a couple days after both are released. It might be a good opportunity to go in-depth with it — assuming I don’t end up canceling the preorder, of course.

I can see it being worthwhile for those of you that are heavy portable users. For me, being that I play my Switch about 95% of the time in docked mode and only about 10-15% of time in terms of overall gaming - it's still a no from me. The inevitable Switch Pro will make me reassess.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

I can see it being worthwhile for those of you that are heavy portable users. For me, being that I play my Switch about 95% of the time in docked mode and only about 10-15% of time in terms of overall gaming - it's still a no from me. The inevitable Switch Pro will make me reassess.

Precisely the boat I'm in. 

I ended up cancelling my preorder. With all the videos being posted to Youtube of unboxing the OLED Switch, I just felt more and more like I should just wait for the Switch Pro (as long as my regular Switch is still functional). I think the tipping point for me was their confirmation that many grips/cases that rely on tight fits will not work with the OLED model like the Satisfye grip, the Skull & Co grip case, and the Fixture S1 pro controller mount.

John from Digital Foundry with his review of the new OLED Switch:

Basically, it’s a premium version of the Switch we all know and love. The screen is by far the best to ship in a handheld device, besting even the original display on the PS Vita. It’s so good, it makes John want to play games in handheld mode more often.

That said, if you mostly play your Switch docked, there’s little reason to upgrade.

Forgive me if I mentioned it already, but I did cancel my preorder with Best Buy. I just decided that I wanted to use that money for other things right now. If I end up not getting the OLED model, I really hope Nintendo offers it as an option for the next generation Switch.