LCVG
EnemaEms

4K for life......for now.

Further to the original report, Samsung have clarified they're not making any new disc players for US or European markets at all; it's not just UHD they're abandoning other than in regions that don't have established streaming services to compete with.

I'm curious to see if the PS5 will support it, and indeed it both PS5 and XB1 successor also make use of 66GB and 100GB UHD disc sizes for games (as and when a publisher might require it). While I don't expect playback in the next gen consoles to have as significant a benefit to the sales of movies on disc that might have once helped blu-ray a little ten years ago, if there's demand on a disc replication level from game manufacturers it should increase demand and supply across the sector and hopefully bring down replication costs which might have benefits for studios increasing their disc output, and indeed convincing indie labels to come on board.

I suspect Microsoft will be watching the reaction to the disc-less Xbox keenly. If it dies on its backside they'll at least want a disc-supporting version of their next machine available, even if they don't make it the only option.

What makes me wonder about PS5, or more to the point whether games would come on 66GB or 100GB discs, is whether games are genuinely getting much bigger in size, particularly this day in age when many games require enormous patches even if you have bought them physically. So the possibility of PS5 supporting it may be primarily driven by a "hey, us too" response to XB1 S and X already offering playback support if nothing else. 

As we've mentioned before, there's a tonne of games out there that don't fit on a dual-layer BD50, and either (like Just Cause 3) require you to leave the console running for ages while it procedurally generate landscape elements before you can start playing, or (like GT Sport, Destiny etc.) have significant sections of the game only available once you've downloaded enough additional data to bring the overall size up to the 70+ GB mark.

Making texture, model and other data assets ever larger (because what are more powerful GPUs for, if not shoving ever more detailed graphics around) only means even more space.

Anyone know about the noise levels of different standalone players? I'm getting increasingly bored of the vibration noise from the Xbox One S in quiet scenes, and feel the lure of a standalone player. On raw specs it seems like the Sony X700 is where it's at - Dolby Vision, all the tone mapping stuff and under £200. But a couple of reviews say it's not the quietest, and paying a bit more to get something that could also replace my ancient NAD CD player might be better. Recommendations that aren't the monstrously expensive Oppo, anyone?

Would have thought the Sony and Panasonic players are pretty silent like my Oppo. Occasionally I get a noisy disc spinning on the Oppo but it's rare. 

It's probably that the more expensive players are built like a brick outhouse, while the x700 is a little tiny thing, then. The other hope is that they're sufficiently efficient that they might run in a closed cabinet.

I would definitely check and see if that Sony has any disc compatibility issues.  My X800 was pretty problematic at first; it seems to have gotten much better with updates.  I haven't had a lockup in a long while.  /knocks on wood/  

Aside from that, it's built like a tank and I've never heard any noise coming from it.  

The X800 is definitely tank-like, yeah. If it wasn't for the lack of Dolby Vision I'd have made a decision already. Mind you, if it had Dolby Vision like the 700, it wouldn't be £221 at the moment.

• Like 1

X800 is £170 today only on Amazon. Going to hold off for the UB820 though. Possibly for some time if I end up buying records. 

Or art - invite to RA Buyers Day just came through...

LG UBK 90 deal is back for anyone looking to get into 4k discs. Comes with Free harmony 650 , and pick 3 free movies from a list for $199.

• Like 2