LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

On 10/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Back to the Future and Jaws are inevitable from Universal in 2020, but it'd be nice to see anniversary discs for Spartacus, Psycho, Scott Pilgrim, Blues Brothers and Flash Gordon too.

Scott Pilgrim is a lock.  It's already in 4K/HDR on FandangoNow (I think?), and Edgar Wright tweeted something like "patience" when someone asked him about a physical release.

• Like 2

Did you get the Cornetto Trilogy? The Hot Fuzz disc seems to have been hit with some criticism. The UK set is overpriced so I haven’t bought it yet (and am not sure if we are getting individual discs like the US is due soon). I’d certainly like Shaun as it fixes the window boxing error of the Blu-ray.

Not yet.  I could get suckered in at the right price, but the criticism / lack of enthusiasm doesn't have me itching for an upgrade. (Plus I never even watched my Blu-ray of Hot Fuzz after replacing the HD-DVD!)

On 10/5/2019 at 1:39 AM, JoeyN said:

Lord of the Rings is in need of a 4k release

On 10/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, Eldorado said:

Like way past need. I have had a super strong urge to watch it lately, but I know as soon as I do the 4ks will be announced. So I’ll just wait. 

Well how’s this for you? LOTR (and Hobbit) trilogy next summer apparently, according to this German website:

https://www.4kfilme.de/der-herr-der-ringe-und-der-hobbit-filme-erscheinen-auf-4k-blu-ray/

They’ve been reliable in the past.

• Like 2

Knowing Warner I'd have thought extended would be all we get to be honest. They've rarely been keen to provide multiple cuts of the same film (they still won't give me an HD release of Amadeus' theatrical cut ffs). 

We were never going to get both in the box; it’s just that with every previous format they try to get a double dip by putting theatrical out first. 

Yeah, but I don’t think that will play with a niche of a niche format. I think they’ll just target the versions fans want most.

I would be interested if Jackson gets to add all the extra special features he wanted to add to LOTR though. 

• Like 1

I want to see those additional deleted scenes. The extras since the DVD had those tantalising glimpses of scenes like Legolas and Gimli going travelling together which have never been released in full. 

Apparently Jackson wanted to do all this stuff for the Blu-rays but Warner weren’t interested. This seems

like our last chance for a definitive release as a 2020 date makes a 2021 20th Anniversary mega edition unlikely.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, iainl said:

In terms of colour explosion, I am very unimpressed by the absence of Moana on the format. 

Moana is out on 5th November in the US with Tangled, Princess and the Frog, Zootopia and Big Hero 6.

• Like 1

Is it? Oh no. I wasn’t going to bother with the import thing, but this may need an exception. Particularly with no sign of Disney+ in the U.K. yet. 

Yeah. In the UK Disney’s approach seems to be to avoid putting any catalogue titles on disc unless there is a sequel/remake to cash in on, hence the only animated disc we’re due being Frozen, and us getting animated Lion King and Aladdin but never Little Mermaid. Plus the UK has had no Pixar discs until Toy Story 4 along with the first three this month (and they’re dropping the bonus discs from those, save for TS 4 which is three discs like the US version).

I have also had this sense they are too lazy to make HDR masters of films that are modified in certain regions, which means altered Pixar films like Cars 2 and Inside Out, and films with different titles like the last Pirates of the Caribbean and Zootopia. I could be wrong of course, but given that Disney puts the least amount of effort into the format it would not shock me if that was another excuse for them not to release stuff. If those are HD only on UK Disney+ while others are 4k/HDR then my theory may prove correct.

The recent run of Pixar titles in the US cost me £24-28 each which I was okay with (I only got Nemo, Dory, Ratatouille, Cars and Inside Out).

Hadn’t seen it until this evening and damn it, Toy Story 4 got me in a way I was not anticipating. Very charming epilogue to the series.

The disc is spectacular. Pixar on top of their game with the texture rendering and lighting. 

Exciting. I feel that Universal have been doing good work on catalogue titles with only a handful of exceptions. Certainly their hit rate is a lot better than it was in the Blu-ray days.

I notice the anniversary press release doesn’t go so far as to confirm full on 4k restorations for the theatrical engagements and disc releases, but surely they won’t cheap out on these jewels? I’m pretty optimistic they’ll be done right.

The only problem I have with Universal discs is that they lack disc resume. I don’t want to have to make my own bookmarks or fast forward back to where we left off.  If almost everyone else can/is doing it, so should they. 

The Beverly Hills Cop trilogy is receiving a 4k/HDR release in December.... digital only, and 1080p Blu-rays from the new masters will be released in January.

Weird how Paramount has dropped its enthusiasm for catalogue content on physical UHD. Could be like it’s Wonderful Life where discs come eventually, but it’s downright bizarre that they’d bother doing remastered 1080p discs in January and and not debut UHD discs at the same time.

I was very pleased having purchased the itunes 4k release of It's a Wonderful Life last year, but to see the disc compared to the Blu-ray is astonishing:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13510&d2=13511&c=5294

Do pick this up if you love the movie. It might send a message to Paramount to keep doing catalogue discs, and to other studios to consider more b&w classics (you don't see it in the screencaps obviously, but the HDR is very nice and very respectful).

• Like 1