LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

So since Lionsgate have abandoned their two random catalogue titles a month output I guess they've lapsed into selective anniversary/sequel cash in catalogue opportunities? Better than nothing I suppose (but then doesn't explain lack of a disc for The Limey last year). Will wait for reviews to see how they've handled Requiem for a Dream. Hopefully it's a good release, though I agree it's never an easy film to watch. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Will wait for reviews to see how they've handled Requiem for a Dream.

It's hard to imagine it turning out worse than the current Blu-ray release, which struck me at the time as looking as if it had been minted from a now twenty-year-old DVD-era telecine.

It probably was.

Hopefully Aronofsky and/or Matthew Libatique were able to oversee a new master (I'd still love to contact Libatique to see if he is aware of what Disney did to Iron Man and Iron Man 2).

Just announced on Facebook.

We also have final release details for our second 4K UHD Blu-ray, MANIAC, also coming on May 26th!

Blue Underground is thrilled to present our critically acclaimed restoration of MANIAC in TRUE 4K 16-BIT ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION with DOLBY VISION HDR and a NEW DOLBY ATMOS audio mix, overflowing with hours of Extras!

Disc 1 (4K UHD Blu-ray) Feature Film + Extras:
• Audio Commentary #1 with Producer/Director William Lustig and Producer Andrew Garroni
• Audio Commentary #2 with Producer/Director William Lustig, Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini, Editor Lorenzo Marinelli, and Joe Spinell’s Assistant Luke Walter
• Theatrical Trailers
• TV Spots
• Radio Spots

Disc 2 (Blu-ray) Extras:
• MANIAC Outtakes
• Returning to the Scene of the Crime with William Lustig
• Anna and the Killer – Interview with Star Caroline Munro
• The Death Dealer – Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Savini
• Dark Notes – Interview with Composer Jay Chattaway
• Maniac Men – Interview with Songwriters Michael Sembello and Dennis Matkosky
• The Joe Spinell Story
• Mr. Robbie: Maniac 2 Promo Reel
• MANIAC Publicity
• MANIAC Controversy

• Audio: English (Dolby Atmos, 5.1 DTS-HD, 2.0 DTS-HD); Castellano (Dolby Digital 2.0); Français (Dolby Digital 2.0); Italiano (Dolby Digital 2.0); Deutsch (Dolby Digital 2.0)
• Subtitles: English SDH, Français, Español, Português, Deutsch, Italiano, Dansk, Suomi, Nederlands, Svenska, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai
• Region Free
• Limited Edition Slipcover on First Pressing Only!

1583452788_1.jpg

A Canadian retailer lists a North American release of Parasite as coming from Universal in June (with English subtitles, of course).  Hopefully that pans out.  The listing has a UPC code and everything, although I don't get any results on Google for that UPC as I write this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

A Canadian retailer lists a North American release of Parasite as coming from Universal in June (with English subtitles, of course).  Hopefully that pans out.  The listing has a UPC code and everything, although I don't get any results on Google for that UPC as I write this.

That’s great news. 

The Blues Brothers has been announced for May 19th with DTS-X and HDR10+ and both theatrical and extended cuts.

265098_front.jpg

GWqQB1X.jpg

Lack of original audio mix leaves me rather concerned for audio options on Jaws, although Scarface had its original mix included so we'll see.

MDYUxT6.jpg

Quote:
THE SWASHBUCKLING FAVORITE DEBUTS
ON 4K ULTRA HD MAY 5TH

STARRING ACADEMY AWARD®-NOMINEE ANTONIO BANDERAS
(2019, BEST ACTOR, PAIN AND GLORY), AND ACADEMY AWARD WINNERS
ANTHONY HOPKINS (1991, BEST ACTOR, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS)
AND CATHERINE ZETA-JONES (2002, BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, CHICAGO)

4K ULTRA HD DISC INCLUDES NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN DELETED SCENES!

THE 2005 SEQUEL THE LEGEND OF ZORRO IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN 4K DIGITAL ON MAY 5TH VIA PARTICIPATING DIGITAL PLATFORMS

SYNOPSIS
When a power-crazed despot schemes to buy California from Mexico, it takes two Zorros--the legendary Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) and his chosen successor Alejandro Murrieta (Antonio Banderas), a dashing bandit-turned-hero-- to defeat the tyrant's unscrupulous plans. But can even their combined skills, bravado and derring-do be enough to achieve de la Vega's ultimate goal: revenge against the man who killed his wife, kidnapped his daughter and held him prisoner for twenty years?

BONUS MATERIALS 4K ULTRA HD BONUS MATERIALS:
• Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
• Theatrical Trailers

BLU-RAY BONUS MATERIALS:
• Director Commentary
• “Unmasking Zorro” Documentary
• 2 Deleted Scenes
• Music Video by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena

CAST AND CREWCast: Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Stuart Wilson, Matt Letscher
Director: Martin Campbell
Story by: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Randall Jahnson
Screenplay by: John Eskow and Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio
Co-Producer: John Gertz
Executive Producers: Steven Spielberg, Walter F. Parkes, Laurie MacDonald
Producers: Doug Claybourne and David Foster

DETAILS
Scanned from the original camera negative at 4K resolution and presented with High Dynamic Range and an all-new Dolby Atmos audio mix, in addition to the original 5.1 theatrical audio
THE MASK OF ZORRO will also be available to buy in 4K with HDR on participating digital platforms on the same day
The 2005 sequel THE LEGEND OF ZORRO will also be available for digital purchase in 4K with HDR on May 5th via participating digital platforms
Run Time: 136 minutes
Rating: Rated PG-13 for some intense action and violence

Thankfully not an "IMAX Enhanced" release.

Vinegar Syndrome is announcing their second UHD BD (a May release) on Friday at midnight.  Whatever it is, it’s a title never before on disc.  The speculation is that it’s Rad, and...wow, I sure hope so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

Vinegar Syndrome is announcing their second UHD BD (a May release) on Friday at midnight.  Whatever it is, it’s a title never before on disc.  The speculation is that it’s Rad, and...wow, I sure hope so.

That scene where they dance on bmx bikes at prom should hold up well, right?

• Like 1

Delighted to see that original mono audio mix for Jaws will be an optional track on the UHD! It carries a new Atmos mix too, and Dolby Vision/HDR10+.

jaws_4k_ultra_hd_blu-ray_nordic-50759897

I believe the disc is set for June.

• Like 1

1585317672_1.jpg

Shipping in May from Vinegar Syndrome.

Special features:

• 4k Ultra HD / Blu-ray Combo
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from 35mm original camera negative
• Limited Edition 3D Lenticular (front) and Holographic (back) Slipcover
• Brand new commentary track with actress Talia Shire and Robert Schwartzman
• Brand new video interview with writer/co-producer Sam Bernard
• Other brand new special features TBD
• Multiple archival video interviews with the cast and crew
• Archival group commentary featuring multiple cast and crew
• Extensive behind-the-scenes stills and promo material
• And so much more!
• Reversible cover artwork
• SDH English subtitles

I believe Rad is the first title to ever debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray: never on disc till now and no individual Blu-ray release.  Combo only.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's not even worth sternly looking in Arrow and Criterion's direction anymore...

Come on, it's not like The Royal Tenenbaums or Seven Samurai deserve the kind of treatment that (checks notes) Tammy & The T-Rex has received.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iainl said:

Come on, it's not like The Royal Tenenbaums or Seven Samurai deserve the kind of treatment that (checks notes) Tammy & The T-Rex has received.

I wrote a long spiel about this on another forum.

(in response to someone's reaction to "[Arrow's] James White actually said in a 2017 interview that he feels that offering a 4K disc would alienate their core Blu-ray customers as they'd feel they're no longer getting the best version of whatever movie.")

I've seen enough of that sentiment expressed on the message boards and Facebook groups that I read that there's probably some merit to it.  I wish that weren't the case, but I get it.

Let's say that Criterion were putting out Cassavetes' Husbands on Ultra HD Blu-ray next month alongside the Blu-ray release.  Would a UHD release bring in customers who wouldn't ordinarily buy a Criterion BD?  Probably not in any meaningful numbers.  Otherwise, they're just shifting purchases around.  Someone who would've just bought the movie on Blu-ray would instead be buying it on UHD BD.  Is that really worth it?  Would the premium for a UHD release multiplied by however many people buy it be enough to cover increased authoring costs, replication costs, etc.?  Then there are the less tangible opportunity costs, where whatever effort they direct towards UHD isn't being directed towards something else that could potentially make them more money.  Could they convince retailers to stock UHD BDs in sufficient numbers (or at all)?  Would the universities and libraries that buy Criterion titles find this worth investing in (since many reportedly still haven't shifted away from DVD)?

And then you have the folks who actually buy Criterion releases.  The minute Criterion issues their first UHD BD, there'll be an outcry.  Multiple outcries, even!  Some of 'em will gripe about their collection now being worthless.  Some will argue that Criterion's just trying to exploit their fanbase, offering diminished returns at an inflated price point.  Some might be less likely to buy titles on Blu-ray they might have picked up otherwise, waiting instead for a UHD release that may never come.  There'll be arguments about why some stupid film like _______ is getting the UHD BD treatment from Criterion while the far more worthy _______ isn't.  Some may use this as a jumping off point for Criterion entirely.  And while those buckets individually may not be terribly large, the sum total of it could have a material impact.  Is UHD BD worth the hassle?  Gaining sales by supporting UHD BD could be difficult enough, but could supporting it wind up costing them sales?

Despite the fact that Criterion and Arrow have more resources available to them than, say, Well Go, Synapse, Blue Underground, Discotek, Vinegar Syndrome, Kino Lorber, etc., I can see how their size might make it more difficult for them to experiment when common sense would seem to dictate that it'd make it easier.  Being smaller can mean that you're more nimble and more free to explore opportunities.  Criterion and Arrow inspire more of a completionist/collector mindset than the other labels I mentioned with the possible exception of Vinegar Syndrome, and VinSyn takes such risks on a monthly basis anyway that UHD wouldn't really alienate much of anyone.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, and apologies for repeating myself, but I really only see a few things that would compel Criterion to buy into UHD BD.

1. Overall sales start to slip, and UHD BD is a way to shore up support/interest
  2. A filmmaker they really want to work with insists upon it
  3. Competing labels overseas adopt UHD BD, and Criterion has to keep up with the Joneses

But I am the type of person who'd upgrade my favorite Criterion titles in 4K/HDR, and a UHD release might compel me to buy a title I was maybe on the fence about or would've waited for a 50% sale.  I'll happily give you more money, Criterion!  I just don't know if there are enough mes out there.

And that's not even bearing in mind that interview that Criterion's Lee Kline did last year where he basically said that the audience is too small, hardly anyone would be able to see/appreciate any difference, and, regarding HDR, that the filmmakers they work with either don't care or are making such subtle adjustments that it doesn't really matter.  I'm being a little reductive there, but...  😛

I want to see it happen.  It should happen.  But I'm not optimistic about Criterion (or Arrow or BFI or Masters of Cinema or...) ever diving in.

• Like 1

All I know is that there's a bunch of Criterion releases where I've not bothered because someone might do a UHD instead. Like the rest of the Wes Anderson ones I don't have, for instance.

I'm 100% with you.  I'd been reluctant to upgrade anything I already had on Blu-ray, in anticipation of UHD releases, but I don't get the sense that it'll ever happen...and if it does, I'd imagine it'd be in small numbers.  I did relent on Rebecca and Notorious, but I think that might be the extent of it so far, at least for Criterion.  I also stopped upgrading my Anderson titles a while back, and I don't see any point in continuing until there are UHD releases.

I think they genuinely believe it's not worth it.  And though I hate to say this, it's hard to make a case that it is, given that the boutiques that have dipped their toes in the water have announced or released such a tiny number of titles (has any reached a point where you'd need all the fingers on one hand to count their UHD slate?), the most comparable labels to Criterion haven't bothered at all, and nearly all the major studios have significantly slowed their catalog output.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll slip a UHD BD into a box set someday, or maybe when it comes time to revisit one of their most enduring classics, they'll include a UHD disc to sweeten the pot and maybe give 'em an excuse to charge more of a premium price, but I'm not anywhere near as optimistic as I wish I were. 

• Like 1

As far as Anderson is specifically concerned, with the exception of Bottle Rocket (Sony), the rest of his filmography is split between Touchstone and Fox, right? So quite honestly if Criterion never do UHD's of his catalogue then Disney sure as hell isn't going to outside of streaming purchase. It's possible French Dispatch could get a disc (it will surely get 4k streaming as Isle of Dogs did), but to date JoJo Rabbit is the only Searchlight title to get a physical UHD release. 

My personal feeling is I don't need or even desire EVERYTHING in 4k. I've always seen UHD disc as an extension of Blu-ray rather than as its own format, much like 3D Blu-ray was/is, but with a broader appeal than 3D obviously (which seems to be how it has established itself). Quite honestly a well mastered Blu-ray that originates from a new 4k scan should look exceptional, and in many cases they do, though in Criterion's case their Blu-ray compression can often leave a lot to be desired. I'm delighted It's a wonderful Life got a UHD disc. I'd like to see more golden age b&w titles for sure, but the last Blu of Casablanca from a 4k scan is very nice indeed, so I won't necessarily lose sleep over something like that because we do have an exceptional release to hand already (whereas we most certainly didn't before with It's A Wonderful Life). 

I find myself more eager for major studios to do catalogue releases because them doing a UHD is often the best chance we'll have to get new 4k scans of some their dated/questionable old Blu-rays. With the exception of Bourne Identity, Universal have been doing a pretty good job of making up for past mistakes for example (I'm curious to see if Jaws has a new scan with less of its DNR sheen from the 4k master done for its previous anniversary release, and I am holding my breath do see how the Back To The Future trilogy turns out). 

With Criterion and Arrow, I will every once in a while buy one of their releases and think "really? You didn't think it worth going the extra mile with this one?" Tree of Life being a good example from Criterion where director and dp are around to approve an HDR release. That's all I wish they'd do, just judge it on a title by title basis, because if Vinegar Syndrome can do Rad then it's harder to understand why Criterion might not think that Grand Budapest Hotel would be worth it. Since 99% of companies releasing UHD's partner them with the 1080p disc, why would Criterion be any different, and consequently why would they think that would seriously alienate their base of collectors if they're still just doing one release with one spine number? It's a head scratcher. 

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

My personal feeling is I don't need or even desire EVERYTHING in 4k. I've always seen UHD disc as an extension of Blu-ray rather than as its own format, much like 3D Blu-ray was/is, but with a broader appeal than 3D obviously (which seems to be how it has established itself).

That's my view as well, for the most part: Ultra HD Blu-ray is a supplement to rather than a replacement of Blu-ray.  Although since the format launched, I've never bought a title on Blu-ray if a UHD release were available.  And I also agree that "new scan" is frequently a greater strength for a lot of catalog reissues than "4K!" or "HDR!".

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's all I wish they'd do, just judge it on a title by title basis, because if Vinegar Syndrome can do Rad then it's harder to understand why Criterion might not think that Grand Budapest Hotel would be worth it. Since 99% of companies releasing UHD's partner them with the 1080p disc, why would Criterion be any different, and consequently why would they think that would seriously alienate their base of collectors if they're still just doing one release with one spine number? It's a head scratcher. 

I'm sure money is a factor.  Y'know, if they throw in a UHD BD, do they raise the price -- frustrating Blu-ray oriented customers, similar to what we saw with Criterion's DVD base with the switch to single-SKU BD/DVD combos in '13/'14 -- or do they maintain their current price point, despite the increased costs in authoring/replicating UHD discs?  If their customers as a whole don't see a lack of UHD as a dealbreaker, and if UHD doesn't draw in a new audience, what's the upside of this for Criterion?

I think this sort of thing is particularly challenging for Criterion because the conversation inevitably turns toward the collection as a whole.  As if they do something for one title one way, that impacts how they'd have to do it going forward for consistency.  That podcast that Lee Kline was on made it sound as if they look at UHD as being a separate line (or at least having UHD-specific packaging), which I don't think is the best course of action.

51 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

That's my view as well, for the most part: Ultra HD Blu-ray is a supplement to rather than a replacement of Blu-ray.  Although since the format launched, I've never bought a title on Blu-ray if a UHD release were available.  

Yes, absolutely. I am the same in that respect.

Where I am finding it difficult in making a choice is if there's a 4k stream/download but not a UHD disc though. Do I get the Blu, or the iTunes purchase... or both? I haven't quite settled on my approach there as while the HDR element offers an advantage over a Blu, I am not sure the low bitrates offer much of an advantage over a Blu in obvious detail (if compared to a Blu downconverted from the same master that is). I guess the answer is the iTunes stream though, much as I hate to say it. 

Arrow have a 4k/Dolby Vision iTunes upload of Oldboy available here. You don't get the extras from the blu-ray, but if they're not going to do a UHD then.... 🤷‍♂️ I think they have uploaded one or two others in 4k/DV as well. I may be mistaken. It's £2.99 right now for god's sake (perhaps cashing in on the isolation boom). I might as well buy the stream.  *edit* Bought.

Now that Disney+ is available here I've finally had the chance to examine the 4k/DolbyVision Sword in the Stone and God that puts the nasty Blu-ray to shame. Black Cauldron looks great too, and the new scan for Roger Rabbit looks pretty solid (maybe a smidge too much DNR maybe, but i have really only sampled it. There's nevertheless an obvious detail bump over the old Blu-ray since it's a new scan). Haven't looked at Muppet Christmas Carol yet. I need to check Tarzan as, even though it's HD, I'd like to know if it has the odd anomalies that crop up on the Blu-ray. Since there's a bandwidth cap on streaming services here for a month it's not the ideal time for me to be evaluating all this though.

I'm sure money is a factor.  Y'know, if they throw in a UHD BD, do they raise the price -- frustrating Blu-ray oriented customers, similar to what we saw with Criterion's DVD base with the switch to single-SKU BD/DVD combos in '13/'14 -- or do they maintain their current price point, despite the increased costs in authoring/replicating UHD discs?  If their customers as a whole don't see a lack of UHD as a dealbreaker, and if UHD doesn't draw in a new audience, what's the upside of this for Criterion?

I think this sort of thing is particularly challenging for Criterion because the conversation inevitably turns toward the collection as a whole.  As if they do something for one title one way, that impacts how they'd have to do it going forward for consistency.  That podcast that Lee Kline was on made it sound as if they look at UHD as being a separate line (or at least having UHD-specific packaging), which I don't think is the best course of action.

Yes, all fair points I suppose. 

• Like 1