LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Full Dawn of the Dead specs:

UHD DISC 1: THE THEATRICAL CUT

• New 4K scan and restoration of the Original Camera Negative by Second Sight at Final Frame New York and London supervised and approved by DoP Michael Gornick
  • Presented in HDR10+
  • Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono - New restoration of the original OCN Optical / DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Commentary by George A Romero, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest
  • NEW commentary by Travis Crawford
  • New optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

UHD DISC 2 – THE EXTENDED (‘CANNES’) CUT

• Produced using 4k scan of the Theatrical Cut Original Camera Negative and 4K scan of the Extended Cut Colour Reversal Internegative
  • DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono
  • Presented in HDR10+
  • Commentary by Richard P Rubinstein

UHD DISC 3 – THE ARGENTO CUT

• 4K scan of the Interpositive by Michele De Angelis at Backlight Digital, Rome
  • Audio: DT-HD Master Audio Mono 1.0 / Surround 5.1 / Stereo 2.0
  • Commentary by Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, David Emge

BLU-RAY DISC 4: SPECIAL FEATURES

• NEW Zombies and Bikers: with John Amplas, Roy Frumkes, Tom Savini, Christine Forrest, Tom Dubensky, Tony Buba, Taso Stavrakis and a whole host of zombies and bikers! (59 mins)
  • NEW Memories of Monroeville: a tour of the mall with Michael Gornick, Tom Savini, Tom Dubensky and Taso Stavrakis (34 mins)
  • NEW Raising the Dead: The Production Logistics: with Michael Gornick, Christine Forrest, John Amplas, Tom Dubensky (23 mins)
  • NEW The FX of Dawn with Tom Savini (13 mins)
  • NEW Dummies! Dummies!: An interview with Richard France (12 mins)
  • NEW The Lost Romero Dawn Interview: previously unreleased archive interview (20 mins)
  • Super 8 Mall Footage by zombie extra Ralph Langer with option of archive commentary by Robert Langer and new commentary by Ralph Langer (13 mins)
  • Document of the Dead: The Original Cut with optional commentary by Roy Frumkes (66 mins)
  • Document of the Dead: The Definitive Cut (100 mins)
  • The Dead Will Walk 2014 Documentary (80 mins)
  • Trailers, TV and Radio Spots (TBC)

Limited Edition Contents

AUDIO CD DISC 1

The Goblin Soundtrack – 17 tracks including Alternate and Bonus Tracks

AUDIO CD DISC 2

The Complete De Wolfe Library Cues Part 1

AUDIO CD DISC 3

The Complete De Wolfe Library Cues Part 2

Rigid box with lid featuring the original iconic artwork

2 inner digipaks

150 page hardback book featuring 16 new essays, archive article, archive George A Romero interview and rare Behind-The-Scenes stills

Dawn of the Dead: The novelisation book by George A Romero and Susanna Sparrow with exclusive artwork

I'm hoping I can get a copy from Amazon once they have their listing up as Second Sight charge immediately and I can't afford to part with the £80 on top of other expenses this month.

Fifth Element is getting a UK release from Studio Canal in August.

I'll be VERY interested to see how this compares to the Sony disc.

Got a pre-order in for Dawn of the Dead from Amazon UK. I don't believe they are currently allowing US customers to purchase due to the allocation of resources during the pandemic. Zavvi and base.com seem to be willing to ship to the US. It's likely there will later be a regular edition, but whether it will include all four of the movie discs I don't know. I wouldn't normally buy an edition like this, but I want to support Second Sight and I certainly welcome the chunky book of liner notes and the soundtrack presentations. I should be able to apply some gift certificates to my order by October to bring it down to a more reasonable price. 

I gave base.com a shot for Dawn of the Dead.  Fingers crossed that it works out!

In other news...!  Listed as a September release.

9DC2BD4E-C75C-424F-9C10-31E11359FAA9.png

Psycho is listed as getting a separate release, though there aren’t individual listings for Rear Window, Vertigo, or The Birds.

• Fire 2

Arrow is going 4k!

Their first release will be Pitch Black, licensed from Universal, on August 17th in the UK (good chance they will release it in the US too).

THERE S A NEW REASON TO BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

A sci-fi/horror sleeper hit that birthed a franchise and launched the career of a new action movie icon, Pitch Black holds its own today as a nerve-shredding creature-feature in which the monsters outside finally meet their match against a monster within.

When an intergalactic transport ship crashes on a remote desert planet with no sign of help on the horizon, the survivors, led by Fry (Radha Mitchell), band together to find a way back home. Among the passengers is Riddick (Vin Diesel), a convicted murderer being transported by marshal Johns (Cole Hauser) and now freed of his chains and on the loose. But as a solar eclipse plunges the planet into total darkness, a threat even worse than Riddick reveals itself, and the last humans standing may have to form an uneasy truce with the cunning fugitive (whose eyes have been surgically altered to see in the dark) to last the long night.

Boasting crackerjack direction and a whip-smart script by David Twohy, as well as a star-making performance by Diesel, Riddick s first outing is freshly unleashed in an illuminating, brand new 4K restoration, with hours of exclusive bonus content.

ULTRA HD 4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround on both cuts
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts

• Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
  • Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
  • A newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
  • A newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
  • The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
  • Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
  • 2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
  • Johns Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character s hunt for Riddick
  • The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (in 16:9 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio), an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring vocal performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
  • Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a pre-animation version of the film
  • Slam City, a motion comic from the film s official website
  • Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
  • Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
  • Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
  • Image galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned ""night"" and ""day"" artwork by Luke Preece

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collectors booklet featuring new writing by Simon Ward on the film s creature designs and much more

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089CLPGB9?dchild=1&keywords=arrow&qid=1590750632&s=dvd&sr=1-11&tag=bluraycom-21

They're not bundling a 1080p copy in with the 4k (that's getting its own standalone release), which for indie labels I think makes sense and seems to be on trend with what we've seen most (all?) of them doing so far to get around the issue of people not wanting to pay for 4k if they don't want it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

They're not bundling a 1080p copy in with the 4k (that's getting its own standalone release), which for indie labels I think makes sense and seems to be on trend with what we've seen most (all?) of them doing so far to get around the issue of people not wanting to pay for 4k if they don't want it. 

My suspicion is that they don’t want people selling the regular Blu-ray discs.  There have been a couple of titles from boutiques that include both, although they are definitely not the norm. Vinegar Syndrome’s RAD was contractually required to be a single SKU including both formats. Blue Underground’s upcoming New York Ripper will as well, and they’ve said that some future releases will be combos (perhaps Daughters of Darkness), although none of the other 3 titles they’ve released or officially announced do.

• Interesting 1

I'm going to assume they'd see it as a risk to revisit some titles they've already done on Blu for want of avoiding upsetting loyal customers (plus they may not even be contractually allowed to extend their licences to 4k in some instances). It would be nice if they did The Thing though, since I can't imagine Universal bettering the 4k restoration Arrow did themselves for their UK Blu-ray, unless Universal have the right to use Arrow's work for their own UHD.

I don't remember Pitch Black clicking with me all that much, so I'll likely skip the disc although I am eager to support them doing UHDs.

• Like 1

Arrow is also releasing Flash Gordon on UHD stateside:

AV292_FlashGordon_Exploded_Pack_UHD1.jpg

Description

“PATHETIC EARTHLINGS… WHO CAN SAVE YOU NOW?

Super producer Dino De Laurentiis (Dune, Barbarella) brought Alex Raymond’s beloved cartoon strip and the long running movie serial to the big screen with celebrated director Mike Hodges (Get Carter, Black Rainbow) at the helm, in a delirious space opera, where Flash is King of the Impossible!

Merciless Emperor Ming (Max von Sydow) decides to wreak havoc on Earth in a moment of cruel boredom. Boarding a rocket as a means of escape, star quarterback Flash Gordon (Sam J. Jones), Dale Arden (Melody Anderson) and Dr. Hans Zarkov (Topol) find themselves on Mongo. Taken prisoner Flash must save Dale from becoming Ming’s concubine, avoid the amorous intentions of Ming’s wicked daughter Aura (Ornella Muti) and unite the warring Kingdoms of Mongo.

With endlessly repeatable dialogue, inimitable camp style, the sonic stylings of Queen and a delightful band of characters and actors playing them it’s no wonder Flash Gordon has become one of the most beloved sci-fi spectacles of its era with directors such as Edgar Wright, Taika Waititi and Seth MacFarlane paying tribute to it in their work.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

– Brand new 4K restoration by Studiocanal from the original camera negative approved by director Mike Hodges

– 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

– Optional 5.1 and 2.0 stereo DTS-HD Master audio

– Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critics and film historians including Neil Snowdon, Dennis Cozzalio, John-Paul Checkett, A.K. Benedict, and Kat Ellinger illustrated with original stills

– Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

– Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions, alternative posters and promotional images

– Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais

DISC 1 – FLASH GORDON & SPECIAL FEATURES (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

– Archival audio commentary with Mike Hodges

– Archival audio commentary with Brian Blessed

– Interviews with actors Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Brian Blessed, Queen icon Brian May, composer Howard Blake, and poster designer Renato Casaro

– Behind the Scenes of Flash Gordon – an archival documentary on the making of the film

– Archival interviews with Mike Hodges, screenwriter Lorenzo Semple Jr., comic book artist Alex Ross

– Lost in Space: Nic Roeg’s Flash Gordon – a new documentary program exploring the version Roeg (The Man Who Fell to Earth) had originally planned to make with producer Dino De Laurentiis

– Gremlin’s Finest Hour – an episode from the animated Flash Gordon TV show written by J. Michael Reaves from November 1982

– Deleted scenes and original endings – prop collector Bob Lindenmayer discusses dropped sequences and sequel ideas

– 35th Anniversary Greenroom featurette – Mike Hodges meets the cast for the first time since filming at the 35th anniversary reunion

– 35th Anniversary Reunion featurette – the cast and crew discuss Flash Gordon

– Entertainment Earth on Flash Gordon merchandise

– Storyboards gallery

– Stills gallery

– Original Trailer

– Easter Eggs

DISC 2 – LIFE AFTER FLASH & SPECIAL FEATURES [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE] (BLU-RAY) (REGION A FOR North America)

– 2017 feature length documentary by filmmaker Lisa Downs on the rollercoaster life of Sam J. Jones since his role in Flash Gordon, featuring the main cast and crew as well as a host of fans including Stan Lee, Robert Rodriguez, Mark Millar and more!

– Sam J. Jones – a variety of interviews and featurettes including coverage of a script read from the Chattanooga Film Festival, Sam discussing his career in Mexico, his “prayer walk”, and more

– Melody Paintings Extended – actress Melody Anderson talks about her love of painting and talks about various pieces displayed in her home

– Topol – a variety of interviews with the actor on his collections, awards and charity work

– Brian Blessed – the actor recounts amusing stories about Flash Gordon

– Late, Great Wyngarde – actor Peter Wyngarde discusses his experiences filming Flash Gordon and his relationship with Mike Hodges

– Deep Roy – the actor raps about ambition and recounts an amusing story about Eastbound & Down

– Alex Ross Talks Early Art – the artist talks about Flash Gordon and the many pieces of art he created for it from childhood to modern day

– Tell Me More About the This Man Houdini – actor Rich Fuller and Jason Lenzi, founder of toy brand Bif Bang Pow, discuss a scene from Flash Gordon

– Comic Con early draft – A featurette looking at the phenomenon that is Comic Con, featuring interviews with attendees and a host of regular talent including Sam J. Jones, Rich Fulton, Jason Mewes, Michael Rooker, Claudia Wells, and more

– Interview with Lisa Downs – the director of Life After Flash explores her motivation to make the film and experiences during the production

– Life After Flash on the Road – a variety of featurettes on the film travelling to various festivals and production including Q&A excerpts with the Flash Gordon cast, behind-the-scenes footage, Kickstarter funding video

– Trailer”

THIS IS A PREORDER DISC THAT IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON OR ABOUT 8/18/20

ALL ITEMS ORDERED TOGETHER WILL BE CHARGED AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER

AND SHIP TOGETHER WHEN EVERYTHING IS IN STOCK. PLEASE PLACE MULTIPLE

ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE ITEMS SHIPPED AS THEY ARRIVE

WE ONLY OFFER STORE CREDIT FOR THE CANCELLATION OF ANY PREORDER

ALL DETAILS, INCLUDING RELEASE DATE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

• Like 1

Interesting that they are stuffing the video features onto the 4k movie disc for Arrow’s US release (UK one keeps them on a separate Blu-ray). 

Pitch Black confirmed for US as well.

How did this chaotic mess of a year still somehow manage to turn out to be the best on record for UHD catalogue releases? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Pitch Black artwork:

Have only just seen the price and they are putting this out at £25 retail (or £22 as an early bird pre-order directly from them). That's excellent for a boutique label, and is no higher than what most studios charge for new releases in the UK at the moment. Can't say I am not tempted at £22 to show my support. 

• Like 1

David M has confirmed Fidelity in Motion are handling the encoding for the the Arrow releases. :) (so that's interesting he'll be doing both Studio Canal's Flash disc which just has the movie and audio tracks, and Arrow's which has movie, audio and video extras. I'd imagine both will be 100GB discs. Arrow's would have to be).

I've seen others question this elsewhere too, but I've been wondering whether Inglourious Basterds could be next from Arrow/Universal. They're definitely bringing it to Blu-ray, but it's one of those titles I can't see the value of re-releasing on Blu as the existing Universal disc was already excellent. We've seen very earlier international retail entries for a UHD from Universal several months ago, but Arrow only distribute in the UK and US, so even if Arrow were to do put it out it would still be Universal handling it in other territories. 

Their strongest studio relationships are with Universal and MGM. I'm trying to think what I'd like to see from those libraries that Arrow have not yet already released on Blu-ray. You largely need to look at cult favourites of the 70s, 80s, and 90s titles that Arrow seem to go for. I'd love something like War Games. I've wanted Arrow to get the Man with No Name trilogy for a long time, and there was rumour that they might have. Could they have it and might that be why Kino scrapped a Good The Bad and the Ugly UHD?  Spaceballs would be fun. I could see Arrow doing title like that, and the 4k/HDR master exists as MGM put it out on iTunes. I wonder if Arrow might have the rights to Silence of the Lambs in the UK. It could also mean they do Hannibal as well as it has no UK UHD. The Terminator would be wonderful of course (I really wouldn't any other indie label to get that one).

From Universal, I wonder if Arrow might have done a deal to do Monty Python's Meaning of Life? It would suit the label very well, and might explain why it never surfaced from Universal themselves having been on that leaked Russian list a year or two ago. Could they do Conan maybe? They could only do that in the US as Fox/Disney have it here. Death Becomes Her would be nice, and Carlito's Way. The Frighteners would be VERY fitting for Arrow. I'd love to see Out of Sight as well. 

It's going to be interesting to see if Arrow expand UHD releases to select titles from Arrow Academy in future. I'm going to assume they won't given it's primarily their sub-label for older b&w and foreign films which probably won't have the reach for UHD sales that they would be looking for right now. 

God I wish they could get something like The Untouchables from Paramount. 

I enjoy Flash Gordon and Pitch Black, but not enough to spend $50 to upgrade.

Mask of Zorro is a wonderful disc. The movie is such a treat. Even more enjoyable than I remembered.

Can anyone else with the disc check a bug? When the end credits begin to scroll, after the animated flames credits, the menu options appear for a brief moment then vanish. Can’t tell if it’s a disc encoding error or a player error when reading the disc (it happens even if I skip directly to the final chapter and fast forward to that moment in the end credits too). I ran it on the Oppo 203. 

Speaking of menus, Sony have finally moved away from their weird old design and now have sensible navigation! 

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Could they have it and might that be why Kino scrapped a Good The Bad and the Ugly UHD?

From what Kino Lorber has said, it sounds like they did some tests and ran the numbers about how much regrading/HDR would cost and figured that it just wasn't worth it.  Too expensive; not seismic enough an improvement, presumably.   (And, FWIW, they were looking at the entire Dollars trilogy, not just The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.  That would've been extremely ambitious for a second UHD release.)

The masters we have are Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) at 4K and UHD resolution. We need to go back and create and color grade new HDR masters for all three films, so we could release them on Dolby Vision. This won't happen anytime soon, we're also looking into reconstructing the theatrical cut of GBU.

This whole project will take much longer and will be very expensive, but we still plan to release them on 4K, most likely early next year.

I'd love it if Arrow -- or anyone! -- could make this happen.  I'm trying not to let my imagination get carried away and daydream of all the Arrow titles I'd like to see hit UHD BD.

• Interesting 1

15 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

I'm trying not to let my imagination get carried away and daydream of all the Arrow titles I'd like to see hit UHD BD.

It will be interesting to see if they do any re-issues. I don’t think titles like The Thing, which they did their own 4k scan for, were actually finished in 4k, so it’s not as if all the work for such titles is already done should they want to do a 4k disc. Oldboy they absolutely could do as Arrow themselves already released it in 4k/DV on iTunes (The Dead Center is another 4k/DV title from Arrow on iTunes. Probably not known well enough to do a disc though).

Similarly to my thought of them perhaps taking MGM’s existing 4k/HDR masters fo Silence of the Lambs and Spaceballs, I wonder if they might take Universal’s masters for Backdraft and Field of Dreams and do UK releases as those might not be too out of place under Arrow. 

There’s not a huge number of cult favourites from the 70s, 80s and 90s that Arrow have not already claimed from MGM outside of the ones I wrote about in my earlier post I don’t think, at least not ones that are likely to have some selling power. It remains to be seen whether Arrow want to invest in really obscure cult titles like Vinegar Syndrome and Blue Underground are doing in the US. More power to them if they do though.

Terminator really would be a huge one if they have acquired it (but to do a new 4k/HDR master would surely need Cameron’s approval and we all know how the wait for discs from him is concerned). 

I’d explode if they ever wanted to do Sneakers from Universal. I adore that film. Would be interesting if they could get Universal and Amblin to let them do Duel and 1941 too. Animal House would be a very fitting title for Arrow from Universal, but not sure it’s enough for them to do a UHD for. Tremors would be a good one for Arrow.

Arrow acquired the UK rights to True Romance, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Last of the Mohicans last year (Warner’s rights lapsed) and curiously did nothing with them beyond repackaging the existing discs. I have to imagine they’re doing something more substantial from scratch with them down the line. They’d be  popular on UHD too. 

I keep wondering about Fox of course. Arrow had a few titles from them in the past like Donnie Darko, Big Trouble in Little China...etc. Supposedly the line from Disney, according to Kino I think?, is no new licensing negotiations until 2021, and even if they did open up the Fox catalogue to indies again we don’t know how tough they will be on price. Imagine Arrow doing Speed, or French Connection, LA Confidential, Heat and God knows how many others. Part of me wants to hope the COVID situation renders Disney pretty liberal in licensing out Fox titles in future given how much more debt that are having to get into. We’ll see.

• Like 1

James Mangold has been tweeting a bit about Cop Land recently and it got me thinking, now that Paramount have the distribution rights fir Miramax library it would be amazing if Arrow could go after some of those titles.

I don’t think Arrow have ever had a relationship with Paramount. I don’t think many indies have come to think of it, but that has started to change since last year. I think all the Paramount titles Arrow have done are those actually owned by Universal.

Arrow are doing Wolf of Wall Street at some point. I wonder if that will get a UHD as it’s Universal here, but Paramount in the US. Like Inglourious Basterds I cannot see the point of just doing a new Blu when the existing disc was already good. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It remains to be seen whether Arrow want to invest in really obscure cult titles like Vinegar Syndrome and Blue Underground are doing in the US. More power to them if they do though.

Blue Underground has the advantage of owning those films in perpetuity, at least in the U.S., which lessens the risk.  And at least their first titles sold extremely well, with their initial runs either completely sold out or very close to it by street date.  I wouldn't expect the other 4K remasters they're catching up on to perform similarly, but the likes of Daughters of Darkness could very well be up there, especially if they take the UHD/BD combo approach they mentioned on Facebook.

RAD did insanely well for Vinegar Syndrome.  They haven't said how large this run is (aside that it's significantly north of 5,000), but it's their fastest selling title ever.  Admittedly, that's skewed by being an exclusively UHD/BD combo, so not everyone's buying it with 4K expressly in mind.  And Tammy and the T-Rex has more mainstream appeal than a lot of their releases, with early performances by a couple of very recognizable names, plus an already-kitschy concept heightened by a never-before-seen gory cut.  I'll be curious to see what their other two releases are for November: if they'll continue to be something on the fringes of mainstream or if one of 'em will look more like a typical Vinegar Syndrome release.  Something like Liquid Sky would be mind-blowing in 4K/HDR.

It's hard for me to imagine Arrow going all that whole hog into their back catalog, but I could see Arrow following Synapse Films and Blue Underground's lead with higher profile Argento and Fulci releases.  A good number of their Argento releases appear to have been finished in 4K (though seemingly not Deep Red, which would arguably be the heaviest hitter of the lot).  And some of the movies they've released in the past -- such as Demons, Tenebrae, Inferno, The Beyond -- are ripe to be revisited.  At the very least, Demons and The Beyond would do gonzo numbers on UHD.  There is part of me that suspects that UHD is going to be more of a going forward thing with them, with less interest in reissues of recent-ish releases unless they're filling in gaps in their schedule.

I agree with every word you said about Arrow's relationships with Universal and MGM, what's left on the docket (especially with as picked over as MGM's library seems to be),  as well as the titles you'd love to see come to fruition.

• Like 1

I can’t wait to watch it.  I got Jaws, Parasite, and Zombie in the mail today.  All 4K, all Atmos, all about people getting eaten.  That’s what happens in Parasite, right?  I haven’t seen it yet.