LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Yes. Sold my Blus in anticipation a while back as I figured UHDs would arrive in time for the third film. I'll pick these up at a later date though as I revisited both films late last year.

Craptacular artwork though...

2333112-53413-20170319.jpg

2333119-53414-20170319.jpg

Fox's website only lists DTS HD MA for those. Hopefully that is preliminary as Dawn had Atmos theatrically, unless Fox are pulling a Revenant, Martian (theatrical cut release) and Life of Pie stunt and not bothering to have an object based track for the disc despite one existing for cinemas.

I'm going to order Sony's X800 player today which should be shipping in the UK in April (it's out in the US now). Sony have made no mention of it supporting Dolby Vision in future, but since the Oppo is having a lot of surprising issues with disc playback (which is not like the Oppo of old at all) the Sony is my only other option since I need region free 1080 Blu and DVD support. You get Inferno with the player which I will sell on, and you get the choice of two free discs from a selection, though Crouching Tiger is the only freebie I will take and keep. I might select Passengers as the other as it being such a new release I can resell it for the most. Money from seling two of the freebies can probably go on a couple of choices from HMV's 2 for £30 UHD disc sale.

TPS are taking pre-orders for region free models. Sony's players are all typically easy to mod with the ICOS modification (you just use the coloured buttons on the remote when the player is on and no disc is in the drive to change the Blu-ray region. DVD region switching is automatic).

http://www.tps.uk.com/?tab_id=1&choice_id=209&product_group_id=254&product_id=3633

Bear in mind this is a $299 player Sony saw fit to price at £399 in the UK (and there's a £100 premium for the region mod). I don't know if the UK model has any added tweaks since we're not getting the higher end player Sony are limiting to sale via pro installers in the US, but I doubt it. I'll sell the dinky little region free Sony BD player I got last year so will make a bit back, plus the two free discs that I won't want will give me some back too as I say. 

Kelley has the Sony player.

I love that Sony UK are happy to hire someone who is probably someone's audiophile loving uncle. :)

It's heavy apparently! Solid build quality.

Having recently purchased a 4K HDR TV (LG B6) I'm looking into getting a UHD blu-ray player.  I mainly use the TV hooked up to my PS4 pro for gaming purposes.  The majority of my TV or movie watching is cable tv or streaming via Netflix or Amazon.  I do not purchase very many movies BUT I would like to own some of my favorites on UHD now that I've got the TV for it.  Sooo can anyone recommend a best bang for buck UHD player?  Would it even make sense to buy a Xbox One S for this purpose?  I've no plans to really game on the Xbox but since it is such a cheap way to play UHD discs it might be an option for me.  What other stand alone players are worth looking into for under $300 or so?  I do not need 3D playback nor do I care about the apps on the player.  Just want solid UHD playback performance.  

You're best off with a standalone player, and Sony's UBP-X800 seems to deliver the best bang for the buck with great format support for all kinds of optical media, very good build quality and a good price at $299. As a fellow LG OLED owner, you might find the player's lack of Dolby Vision to be a hang up though once DV discs become available. Will it get it? Nobody knows. Sony have said nothing, but its bizarre that their highest end TVs will support Dolby Vision and their UHD player might not. So with that factor in mind, it could get it, but I'm buying that player myself accepting that it may not. 

Known Dolby Vision player options are LG's UP970 UHD player (this one has only just come out so I am not sure how good it is), and Oppo's UDP-203 which is very expensive and sadly right now plagued with lots of playback issues. I'd have been willing to swallow the cost of the Oppo as a longer term investment were it a more stable machine. Neither the LG or OPPO have Dolby Vision out of the box but they will receive firmware updates later in the year (presumably around the same time the first discs are due). There's the Philips BDP7501 due around May/June too, which I believe will get also get DV support later in the year. 

You're best off with a standalone player, and Sony's UBP-X800 seems to deliver the best bang for the buck with great format support for all kinds of optical media, very good build quality and a good price at $299. As a fellow LG OLED owner, you might find the player's lack of Dolby Vision to be a hang up though once DV discs become available. Will it get it? Nobody knows. Sony have said nothing, but its bizarre that their highest end TVs will support Dolby Vision and their UHD player might not. So with that factor in mind, it could get it, but I'm buying that player myself accepting that it may not. 

Known Dolby Vision player options are LG's UP970 UHD player (this one has only just come out so I am not sure how good it is), and Oppo's UDP-203 which is very expensive and sadly right now plagued with lots of playback issues. I'd have been willing to swallow the cost of the Oppo as a longer term investment were it a more stable machine. Neither the LG or OPPO have Dolby Vision out of the box but they will receive firmware updates later in the year (presumably around the same time the first discs are due). There's the Philips BDP7501 due around May/June too, which I believe will get also get DV support later in the year. 

Thanks for the info.  I did a bit of searching this morning and did see the LG UP970.  I definitely want Dolby Vision capability so I'll wait and see how the LG's review.  The stuff I've seen on Netflix that use Dolby Vision is very nice looking.  I wasn't aware that Dolby Vision UHD discs aren't available yet.  I'll have to research and see what movies are going to be using it.

Lionsgate you MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!

8111_tn.jpg

8110_tn.jpg

yOe2krB.gif

6th of June for both. Dredd will include a new Dolby Atmos Track, while Ex Machina retains the DTS-X from the Blu-ray. 

No confirmation yet, but it'd be odd if the Blu-ray with Dredd did not include the 3D version since the existing Blu was a single disc release with both 2D and 3D included.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I did a bit of searching this morning and did see the LG UP970.  I definitely want Dolby Vision capability so I'll wait and see how the LG's review.  The stuff I've seen on Netflix that use Dolby Vision is very nice looking.  I wasn't aware that Dolby Vision UHD discs aren't available yet.  I'll have to research and see what movies are going to be using it.

No movies announced as yet, just Warner, Universal and Lionsgate pledging support for later in the year (any Dolby Vision disc must include HDR10 as a base layer though, so nobody loses out). It was rumoured the Harry Potter discs were to be amongst the first from Warner, but that has not turned out to be the case. 

The back covers of Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2 reveal that they will be amongst the first, if not the very first, Dolby Vision discs. Universal will be releasing both films on the 6th of June (they also have DTS X audio). It's quite possible Warner and Lionsgate titles from June onwards will have DV too in which case, but we'll have to wait and see. So far those are the only three studios to pledge support for Dolby Vision on UHD disc. 

0a7a34745456481fa2ad8b4ba376e94c_0.jpg

Lionsgate you MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!

8111_tn.jpg

8110_tn.jpg

yOe2krB.gif

6th of June for both. Dredd will include a new Dolby Atmos Track, while Ex Machina retains the DTS-X from the Blu-ray. 

No confirmation yet, but it'd be odd if the Blu-ray with Dredd did not include the 3D version since the existing Blu was a single disc release with both 2D and 3D included.

Fantastic! Easy buy for both. 

Dredd in particular is SOOOOOOO great to see.

Using an Xbox One S here since most of my gaming buddies game on Xbone (personally I prefer the PS4 but it gets plenty of wear for Souls games and such).  Got one for $240 - $20 ebay bucks back, and traded by OG 500gb Xbone for $150 credit at Gamestop, so it didn't cost me much.

Watched Pacific Rim with my daughter on UHD, looked pretty good.  Picked up the Bourne discs for $15 each last week, Identity was pretty underwhelming, but I wanted to replace my HD-DVDs anyway.

Ordered Labyrinth for the wife, she's a huge fan of the movie and from what I read the disc is pretty good.

If you are looking for a player, buy the X800. It's fantastic. Fast loading and booting. Built like a tank.

We get crap free disc choices here in the US with it. I picked Chappie and Passengers. Sony shipped them fast.

The free disc choices are really not much better in the UK. I am hoping Sony will ship the players in the UK any day now (I've been hearing the 7th, though mine may take a bit longer to have chipped for multi-region support), but as far as the free discs are concerned we get Inferno in the box with the player here, and the only title of relevance to me from the 2-free discs offer is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, so I will sell Inferno and probably pick Passengers as my other free mail order disc in the offer next to Crouching Tiger and sell on Passengers. So money made from offloading the two movies I don't want can go towards buying one or two I do want.

I still wish Sony would state definitively if they will add Dolby Vision to the player. Apparently they have gone so far as to say they can do it if they feel the market desires it (I've yet to find an actual spokesperson quote, however), but if they're willing to pre-announced support in their TVs before there's much content out there then why not the player too? Sony are such oddballs. 

The music is nice. :)

The cinematography and production design is exemplary. It's a UHD I'd love to see as it should be reference material, but again I cannot justify owning it.