LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

44 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

I don't know if the two are related -- I hope they are! -- but one recent Arrow release included a Dune postcard.  I can understand if Universal might hold back Dune for its own UHD release while Arrow just puts out a plain ol' BD a la Waterworld, but with the new film so close to release, I'd have to think that someone will put it out.

Whomever releases it, please god let it be the Extended Cut.

2 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

I don't know if the two are related -- I hope they are! -- but one recent Arrow release included a Dune postcard.  I can understand if Universal might hold back Dune for its own UHD release while Arrow just puts out a plain ol' BD a la Waterworld, but with the new film so close to release, I'd have to think that someone will put it out.

Hmmm. Dune is SUCH a cult movie I’m not even sure Universal would be interested in doing a UHD themselves, so you could be onto something there! So Basterds and Dune maybe? I’m still personally hoping they will reveal they got Terminator from MGM but even if they had the timeline for release could be held up by Cameron approval.

We’ve only three months of Arrow announcements left for 2020 as there are no UHDs in their Sept lineup (I’d like that US Blu-ray of Mallrats though. Don’t know why they are not doing that in the UK as global rights are with Universal).

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m still personally hoping they will reveal they got Terminator from MGM

It might not be a worldwide thing, but Kino Lorber Insider posted on blu-ray.com a long while back that Robocop and Terminator were acquired by two separate labels.  And since Arrow already released Robocop...  😕  At least in the U.S., Shout Factory and Criterion look to be the most viable options.

Apparently The Terminator already has a 4K master ready to go, but it reportedly hasn't been graded for HDR.

• Sad 1

Best hope would be Shout then I guess, unless Arrow have it here and the two make some kind of pact to use the same master and jointly do a UHD release. 

I should stop anticipating any James Cameron releases to be honest. God knows when we'll get any. 

Hitchcock set artwork (European. The US release probably includes digital codes):

hitchcock_4k_collection_4k_ultra_hd_blu-

Psycho will apparently include the uncut 1960 theatrical version that so far has only been released last year on a German Psycho series box set. Hopefully the mono mix is there too.

Nice!

Will definitely have to get that; somehow I never got around to upgrading my DVDs to Blu.

Im so glad the A24 shop is US based and imports are impractical. Because that place would cost me a fortune otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

And if you were waffling like I was, Midsommar has already sold out.

Bah. I want one!

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Random choice for Sony there.

How else are we to notice the fine droplets from J.K. Simmons shouting? How... I ask?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

And if you were waffling like I was, Midsommar has already sold out.

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

Bah. I want one!

Boo. Hopefully they do future pressings, or do a standard package release. 

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

How else are we to notice the fine droplets from J.K. Simmons shouting? How... I ask?

Haha. Imagine him shouting in Atmos!

I'll certainly pick that up at some point. It's great to see Sony and Warner making more random choices for catalogue titles this year. Really feels like the tide is turning somewhat. It's unquestionably going to end up the best year yet for catalogue releases.

For A24 to go to the bother of having a UHD mastered and pressed, it’s surely not going to be just for an ultra-limited website-only release. I can only imagine a normal one is also coming. 

Well, bear in mind a lot of their stuff is 4k/DV on iTunes in the US already, so the masters already exist. The expense for the discs really would have just been authoring and replication...etc.

There’s a re-stock notification at A24 now, so it’ doesn’t appear to be limited. I think they just severely underestimated demand.

Also interesting in that Midsommar release is that it's a single disc; no bundled 1080p Blu-ray.

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Well, bear in mind a lot of their stuff is 4k/DV on iTunes in the US already, so the masters already exist. The expense for the discs really would have just been authoring and replication...etc.

Right. I own the 4K release on Vudu primarily because of a lack of a disc but I really hope it gets restocked soon. I've wanted a proper 4K release since I initially rented/watched the movie and bought the digital release right after.

18 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

dvdfr.com lists the complete Game of Thrones collection arriving on Ultra HD Blu-ray on the first week of November.

I hope it does well for them, as it's always nice to see more things coming to the format. But wow, I haven't seen the public consciousness drop the hot show like it never happened in the first place so much since Lost's ending upset people.