LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hyuck, I mah gone have git me some help pickin’ me up one them thar Annihilation four kay casettes and sendin’ it across the waters!     ....better?

I picked up the Groundhog Day UHD at Best Buy. It’s a wonderful disc. Outside of the opening scene which is a bit grain heavy, the HDR pass really brings the transfer alive. Daylight scenes in particu

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL DREAMWORKS LET US HAVE A CURSE OF THE BLOODY WERERABBIT BLU SOME TIME???   Sorry. I am just a little frustrated about that one.

Posted Images

I received replacement discs for both the 4k and Blu-ray discs of Psycho today from the Hitchcock box. I can't remember if any of us highlighted the fault last year but the mono track on both discs was not actually the original mono as advertised, but a down mix of the 5.1 remix (with lots of new sound effects and missing effects from some scenes). This applies to both the Hitchcock box set and the standalone release of the film.

Universal were good enough to correct the mistake if you contact them and provide proof of purchase. I assume future pressings of Psycho and the Hitch box set will be corrected, but there's no word on when and how they might be identifiable from their boxes (on the discs themselves there is a new code). 

US replacement details:

Provide your shipping address, daytime telephone number and a copy of your sales receipt (or a photo of the disc and the packaging) and email the details to: USHEConsumerRelations@visionmediamgmt.com

UK replacement details:

Provide your full postal address and name, a copy of your sales receipt (or a photo of the disc and the packaging) and email the details to: Psycho.replacementdiscs@sonydadc.com 

Really looking forward to finally watching this one. The rest of the Hitch set was fantastic. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I assume future pressings of Psycho and the Hitch box set will be corrected, but there's no word on when and how they might be identifiable from their boxes (on the discs themselves there is a new code)

While swapping out the old with the new in the box set I actually noticed the code printed on my replacement copies was identical and suddenly feared the worst (that they'd simply sent out the same discs), but I checked quickly and the mono is definitely corrected. 

It took three attempts, but I did eventually get the corrected Psycho discs.  😛

First, Universal just sent me the faulty Blu-ray disc (loose in an envelope!).  Then they sent me the corrected Blu-ray disc.  Third time being the charm and all that, they sent me the corrected UHD BD and the BD.  The especially annoying thing on these shores is that Universal added a signature requirement.  I didn't actually have to sign, but I had to be physically present to receive it or FedEx would leave a note saying they'd try again later -- which happened at least twice.  FedEx left a PS5 on my doorstep, but a replacement disc in a generic case...

The Ten Commandments formally announced for March 30th:

oqTkT9C.jpg

CELEBRATING ITS 65TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR, CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC ARRIVES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray™ Combo with Digital Debuts March 30, 2021 in Time for Easter

Renowned director Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic THE TEN COMMANDMENTS arrives in spectacular 4K Ultra HD for the first time on March 30, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Bringing to life the inspiring story of Moses in all its stunning glory, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has withstood the test of time. To commemorate the film’s 65th anniversary in 2021, DeMille’s groundbreaking cinematic triumph will be available to watch at home in time for Easter in sparkling 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range.

As part of the restoration done in 2010, the film was scanned in 6K and those files were the basis for this brand-new Dolby Vision version, which shows off the full beauty of the original VistaVision negative. The VistaVision format used special cameras to feed 35mm film into the camera horizontally in order to capture a wider image spread over two 35mm film frames, giving VistaVision twice the resolution of regular 35mm film. In addition, Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan. The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible.

The 4K film presentation contains an introduction by DeMille, an intermission, an overture/exit music card, and an entr’acte card, along with a DTS-HD 5.1 lossless soundtrack.

The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:

4K Ultra HD Disc

• 1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

Blu-ray Disc™ #1

• 1956 feature film in high definition (Part 1)
  • Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

Blu-ray Disc™ #2

• 1956 feature film in high definition (Part 2)
  • Newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere
  • Theatrical trailers, including at 10-minute “making of” trailer

Good news on Kino's Spaceballs disc:

"Pitch corrected, Van Halen song and scream included. RIP Eddie Van Halen"

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=18556493&postcount=51166

Previous releases, inc online streams, have had the above errors/omissions so it will be good to have everything restored (especially the accurate pitch which even the 4k iTunes version apparently suffers from). I'm still going to wait to see if Arrow have it for UK release this year, but if not it'll be good to know I can safely fall back on importing it.

Donnie Darko will be Arrow's April UHD.

1447cc64-6fb4-4c0d-9e1a-6fc21f0627c2.jpg

Formal announcement due later today. Should be both UK and US.

Is this still one they have to licence from Fox (was it ever even 4yrs ago when they did their Blu-ray)? My UK BD copy doesn't have reference to Fox anywhere on the box and the film only opens with Newmarket/Pandora logos. It's really interesting to continue seeing them unafraid to double dip on their Blu-rays.

Speaking of double dipping on their Blus, another Arrow UHD for April is Battle Royale:

fb4d525b-db74-43cb-9533-cbb12b6ed3a7.jpg

I was expecting that one. Fair chance it is UK only. We'll see later today.

Battle Royale is indeed UK only. I guess that's our compensation for Django being a US only release.

16e1295f-1c0a-47e8-9980-f43e834a6d39.jpg

4K ULTRA HD LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 4K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version and Special Edition Director’s Cut of Battle Royale from the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by Kenta Fukasaku
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation of both versions of Battle Royale in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Battle Royale II: Requiem theatrical cut and the Battle Royale II: Revenge Extended Cut
  • Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Original soundtrack CD for Battle Royale [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Kinji Fukasaku: Man of Rage, an exclusive 120-page monograph on the director by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes  [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new essays by Matt Alt and Anne Billson and archival articles
  • Exclusive Battle Royale collectors’ Trump Card set [Limited Edition Exclusive]
  • Reversible poster with new artwork [Limited Edition Exclusive]

DISC ONE – BATTLE ROYALE: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION (4K UHD BLU-RAY)

• Brand new audio commentary by critics Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp 
  • Battle Royale at 20: Back to School, an exclusive new 42-minute documentary about the legacy of Battle Royale
  • Bloody Education: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale, a brand new exclusive interview with the film’s producer and screenwriter
  • The Making of Battle Royale: The Experience of 42 High School Students, documentary featuring footage from the shooting of the film and cast and crew discussions
  • The Slaughter of 42 High School Students, a look behind the scenes of the shoot
  • Behind the scenes footage with comments from the cast and crew
  • Filming on Set, a look at the shooting of key scenes from the film
  • Conducting Battle Royale with the Warsaw National Philharmonic, archive footage of Masamichi Amano conducting the soundtrack rehearsal

DISC TWO – BATTLE ROYALE: SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR’S CUT (4K UHD BLU-RAY)

• Shooting the Special Edition, on-location featurette with footage of the cast and crew reuniting for the shoot of the Special Edition
  • Royale Rehearsals, featurette on Kinji Fukasaku directing the film’s young cast 
  • Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale, archive featurette
  • Takeshi Kitano Interview, filmed on location with the Japanese star
  • The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale, instructional video explaining the rules of the game
  • The Correct Way to Make 'Battle Royale': Birthday Version, a new version of the original instructional video made to celebrate Kinji Fukasaku’s birthday
  • Premiere Press Conference, preceding the film’s first public screening
  • Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation, with footage from the gala screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival
  • Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre, archive footage of the Japanese opening 
  • Special Effects Comparison showing how the film’s violent killings were created
  • Original Trailers and TV spots
  • Kinji Fukasaku trailer reel, a collection of original trailers for Fukasaku’s classic yakuza films from the 70s
  • Image Gallery

DISC THREE – BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM (BLU-RAY)

• Bloody Graduation: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale II, an exclusive brand new interview with the director and screenwriter of Battle Royale II
  • Behind the Scenes of Battle Royale II, on-location featurette during the film’s shoot
  • Rehearsals footage of the auditions and pre-production rehearsals 
  • War and Struggle, featurette of the cast discussing their thoughts on war
  • Alternate Piano Scene
  • The Recording of the Music Score, archive footage of Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra
  • Opening Gala with The Orchestra, featuring a public introduction by the director and main cast
  • Battle Royale II Premiere, a featurette on the film’s first screening at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
  • Trailers and TV spots
  • Image gallery

DISC FOUR – BATTLE ROYALE II: REVENGE (BLU-RAY)

• A Tribute to Kinji Fukasaku, featuring scenes of Kinji Fukasaku on the location of Battle Royale II
  • Kinji Fukasaku's 73rd Birthday: A Speech by Kenta Fukasaku, paying public tribute to his father

DISC FIVE – BATTLE ROYALE (SOUNDTRACK CD)

• CD featuring the complete score to Battle Royale by Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

It's a very reasonable £59.99. I'm wondering if a future non limited edition would just be discs one and two, however, which I'd be perfectly happy with.

ca368b5e-a1c9-4408-b5e0-09dc33d54b17.jpg

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• New 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives by Arrow Films, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of both cuts in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • 100-page hardcover book featuring writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, an introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece
  • Six double-sided collector’s postcards
  • Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece

DISC 1 – THE THEATRICAL CUT [4K UHD BLU-RAY]

• Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal
  • Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval
  • Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, cinematographer Steven Poster, editor Sam Bauer, composer Michael Edwards, costume designer April Ferry, production designer Alec Hammond and actor James Duval
  • The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
  • 20 deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
  • Trailer

DISC 2 – THE DIRECTOR’S CUT [4K UHD BLU-RAY]

• Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith
  • The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production, with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
  • Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
  • Storyboard comparisons
  • B-roll footage
  • Cunning Visions infomercials
  • Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
  • Galleries
  • Director’s Cut trailer
  • TV spots

I'm also wondering if an eventual non ltd ed of Donnie will include disc 2, or just be the theatrical cut disc (on Blu-ray when the LE went out of print 4yrs ago the standard was just the theatrical). There's certainly no indication above that either disc 2 from Battle Royale or Donnie Darko are exclusive to the limited edition packages like the bonus disc from Tremors. 

I'm probably going to throw my money at having to import Django first.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Angry the Clown said:

We're going to need a cypher to work out what's coming from Arrow in 2021:

One of the DUHD's is surely Dune. BRUHD might be Battle Royale. I've long expected Arrow to revisit that.

WWS on line 5 (May) is not Wolf of Wall Street according to the replies. I'm not sure if the list is just Arrow Video 2021 titles or both Arrow Video and Arrow Academy releases for next year. 

So to revisit this again. It looks as though Donnie might have been pencilled in for March but slipped as I can only assume that's what DUHD on line 3 was hinting at. If nothing changes then May will be without a UHD release, then there should be at least one in June beginning with 'T' (True Romance for the UK perhaps).

On 1/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Speaking of Django. Will that end up on Amazon US for pre-order do you know, Adam? my best bet for importing a copy. 

I’m sure it will.  Despite having been announced a good while back, Django doesn’t seem to be up for preorder at some of the usual suspects either, so I’m guessing it’ll pop up when the other April titles do.

Some French and German retail listings have appeared for Shrek, Animal House, The Sting (all Universal) and Big Fish (Sony). 

Amazon UK also have Snatch (from Sony) up for pre-order for June 1st. A UK listing on Amazon for Almost Famous (from Sony in international territories) sadly disappeared last year almost as quickly as it went up. I hope it resurfaces soon.

Soul (Disney/Pixar) will release on disc on 23rd March in the US and the 29th in the UK. I'm really happy about that.

Soul-4K-MED.jpg

Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” Bonus Features*

Deleted Scenes

• Introduction – Writer Mike Jones and story supervisor Kristen Lester introduce the “Soul” deleted scenes.
  • Mentor Orientation – Joe sneaks into the You Seminar Mentor Program orientation, trying to figure out how on earth he can get back to ... Earth.
  • Clubhouse Forgery – Joe follows 22 into her “secret lair” as she reluctantly agrees to help him find his way back to Earth.
  • Home Lessons – Stuck inside Joe’s body, 22 clumsily attempts to help the downstairs neighbor.
  • Living the Dream – Joe has a heart-to-heart with 22 about her fear of living on Earth, then tries to make his way back home via a dream portal.
  • Press Shot – Joe, stuck in a cat’s body, and 22, stuck in Joe’s body, take the subway to the jazz club for a publicity photography session.

Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by director Pete Docter, co-director/writer Kemp Powers and producer Dana Murray.
Not Your Average Joe – See the thought and care that went into crafting Joe and his story in Pixar’s first film to feature a Black leading character.
Astral Taffy – Get an in-depth look at the artistry and technical innovation that went into creating the sets and characters in the world of “Soul.”
Pretty Deep for a Cartoon – The filmmakers tackle big questions, such as where does a newborn’s personality come from, what’s the meaning of life, and more!
Into the Zone: The Music and Sound of Soul – Explore the movie’s different sonic worlds and discover how music drives and adds specificity to Joe’s journey.
“Soul,” Improvised – See how the Pixar Systems team and “Soul”’s crew managed to finish the film on schedule during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Jazz Greats – Giants of the jazz world who consulted on “Soul” share their passion and hard-won wisdom about what music is and does for us all.

Audio is Dolby Atmos.

In even BIGGER news? There are German retail listings from Fox/Disney for Speed and Heat on May 27th!

0000010423587.jpg

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/-/art/speed/hnum/10423606/?iampartner=138&subid=nb1

0000010423606.jpg

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/-/art/heat/hnum/10423587/?iampartner=138&subid=nb1

Hell may have frozen over and left them open to picking at the live action catalogue after all. 

Some retailer listings in Finland have appeared for several titles already listed in Germany and elsewhere in Europe like Big Fish, Snatch, The Sting, Last Action Hero, Animal House and Shrek, but new are listings for In the Line of Fire (Sony), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Warner) and from Universal Smokey and the Bandit and DragonHeart. Entries for individual releases of Vertigo and Rear Window have also surfaced.

Curiously there's also a listing for The Fast and the Furious: 20th Anniversary Edition, which I suspect will be the existing disc with a new cover, but if Universal are willing to capitalise on re-issuing an existing disc for its 20th anniversary it'd be great if that could lead to a Bourne Identity 20th Anniversary disc in 2022 with an actual new master that is so desperately needs.

Something really does seem to be changing with Disney/Fox. As posted previously, they've randomly felt compelled to start bringing over some missing animated titles to the UK (Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Moana), there's pretty reliable retail indication Speed and Heat are on the way, and now they are even doing a belated UK disc for Jo Jo Rabbit in March. 

I've seen a lot of press over the past few months reporting that catalogue sales on disc are really booming which is why we've seen Paramount churning out titles from their past like there's no tomorrow (admittedly they've focused primarily on 1080p Blu-ray and in 4k on digital, but still). Obviously all the studios monitor this kind of thing, and perhaps it's possible that in Disney's case seeing sales strategies of competitors have renewed their outlook. More than anything, Home Alone and Hocus Pocus may have also helped turn their heads if they sold better than expected too.

It's encouraging, no? I hope so anyway. I'm hoping the remaining missing Disney titles make their way to the UK (Brave, Good Dinosaur, the Incredibles films and a couple of others), and that we'll start to see more live action catalogue releases from them in future. Rumour has it they were going to do Roger Rabbit last year before deciding to put a halt on live action catalogue UHDs, but if things are changing then hopefully that surfaces as it's available on D+/iTunes...etc, and I can only imagine that even if they are warming to releasing more discs that they'd only be initially willing to roll out ones for which the 4k/HDR masters already exist. It'd be great if we could finally have discs for Die Hard 2 and With a Vengeance in which case, and hopefully chances have grown for Muppet Christmas Carol later this year once the new restoration of the uncut version is complete. They've been sitting on a new master for Unbreakable for an age and it has yet to even see the light of day on streaming/download for some reason.

Could well be.

I'd long hoped that while D+ might be the incentive for them to do new 4k scans and HDR masters in the first place, physical media might benefit from something of a trickle down effect for some of those titles to see a disc release too. Hopefully that's the case. We'll have to see how they approach the year ahead and hope they have a long term plan and are not just further testing the waters between now and the summer. There's certainly a number of live action titles I'd love from the Disney/Touchstone library, and of course many, many more from Fox. I don't mind if they want to start with action films like Heat and Speed. That makes sense, but I know Fox had finished an 8k scan of Patton some time ago which I'd love to see on disc someday (and Sound of Music, Butch Cassidy and others would be lovely). 

Disney's own restoration efforts seem to be fairly good too. I watched Hocus Pocus on D+ last year and was impressed how they left the grain alone. Home Alone, which I have both on iTunes and on disc, has a bit of grain management (more so on iTunes), but nothing aggressive and still looked very pleasing to my eye. I'm not sure I'd say the same for Pirates of the Caribbean which I checked on D+ and felt it looked a little sharpened. I've yet to watch it beginning to end though. What I do sometimes see with Disney is the more popular their titles, the more damage they actually do when restoring them. I'm not counting on it as I just don't think they're popular enough, but it really would be wonderful to have discs of those 4k versions of Sword in the Stone and Black Cauldron that are on D+.

I'd also love it if this might make them relax a little about licensing out titles they'd be less interested in handling the expense of releasing themselves and let Criterion, Arrow...etc continue to pick at titles in Fox's library and to now let them have some stuff in the Touchtone/Hollywood libraries (a decent Grosse Pointe Blank disc, even if just HD, would be so welcome if they'd let someone else have it).

SexWorld is officially (errr...I think?) the first porn flick on Ultra HD Blu-ray, from Vinegar Syndrome/Peekarama.  I bought the BD at a VinSyn popup this time last year (at the rep’s recommendation), and while I don’t see myself ever watching this one again at any resolution, I’m always glad to see labels get adventurous with the format.  

And for anyone who’s not familiar with the movie but is intrigued by the title, yes, it was inspired by Westworld (though without all that pesky carnage!).