LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hyuck, I mah gone have git me some help pickin’ me up one them thar Annihilation four kay casettes and sendin’ it across the waters!     ....better?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL DREAMWORKS LET US HAVE A CURSE OF THE BLOODY WERERABBIT BLU SOME TIME???   Sorry. I am just a little frustrated about that one.

I picked up the Groundhog Day UHD at Best Buy. It’s a wonderful disc. Outside of the opening scene which is a bit grain heavy, the HDR pass really brings the transfer alive. Daylight scenes in particu

Posted Images

Dirty Dancing seems to be UHD bound in April in the US, at least is this steenbok listing at Best Buy is any indication. 

6452853_sa.jpg

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dirty-dancing-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-1987/6452853.p?skuId=6452853&irclickid=yrjzBiyy7xyLR8m0EOSREQreUkETmkyhm0jn1Y0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=Blu-ray.com&acampID=0&mpid=1808408&intl=nosplash

Seems so rare to get any catalogue releases from Lionsgate these days. I do have this in 4k/DV on iTunes (yeah yeah. Deal with it), but have yet to take a look at the video quality. Wish they'd bring their 4k release of The Limey to disc.

Big Fish has been formally announced by Sony for May 4th in the US (hopefully it will arrive around the same time in the UK). Includes a new Atmos mix, and a new re-mastered Blu-ray with all the DVD bonus features that were left off the original BD release (aside from the commentary track).

BIG FISH

AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON 4K ULTRA HD™ MAY 4TH

WITH HOURS OF BEHIND-THE-SCENES BONUS MATERIALS

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIAL

4K ULTRA HD DISC
Newly Remastered in 4K resolution from the original camera negative, with HDR10
All-new Dolby Atmos audio + original theatrical 5.1 audio

BLU-RAY DISC™
Feature presented in HD, sourced from the new 4K master
Tim Burton Audio Commentary, Moderated by Mark Salisbury
The Character’s Journey
Edward Bloom at Large
Amos at the Circus
Fathers and Sons
The Filmmaker’s Path
Tim Burton: Storyteller
A Fairytale World
Creature Features
The Author’s Journey
Original Cast Interviews & Behind the Scenes
Easter Eggs
Theatrical Trailer

CAST AND CREW
Directed By: Tim Burton
Screenplay By: John August
Based on a Novel by: Daniel Wallace
Producers: Richard D. Zanuck, Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks
Executive Producer: Arne L. Schmidt
Cast: Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, Alison Lohman, Robert Guillaume, Marion Cotillard with Steve Buscemi and Danny DeVito

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 125 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for a fight scene, some images of nudity and a suggestive reference
Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 1.85:1
Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English, French 5.1 DTS-HD MA | Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

I'm immensely fond of this one so I'm looking forward to it. It's still two years out from its 20th anniversary so it's a nice surprise when a studio puts this kind of effort into a random catalogue release. 

I may be wrong on a UK release for Drive if Second Sight's tweet is any indication:

I completely forgot Babadook is a title they would have licensed from Icon for their forthcoming UK UHD. A Second Sight UK disc for Drive with a fidelity in Motion encode vs a US Sony disc would be an interesting comparison indeed.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:17 PM, Angry the Clown said:

For those who might not have imported their box set of Dawn of the Dead, there is now a regular edition available for order which just contains the 3 UHDs and the region B blu-ray of special features minus the books and the soundtrack CDs. It ships lat March. The box set was easily the best UHD purchase I made last year. 

I initially didn’t pull the trigger on this as i didn’t have/want to buy a region-free player for the extras on the bluray but the longer Lionsgate went without announcing a US release, the more i regretted not making the purchase.  I probably will now, even if i still can’t view the bluray features but at least it’ll almost guarantee an announcement by Lionsgate soon thereafter.  😕

19 minutes ago, Angel P said:

I can’t believe i missed this.  What would say is the best option for me to import?

Maybe see what Amazon UK's options are shipping to the US right now. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-New-York-UHD-Blu-ray/dp/B08GVJLKNW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=king+of+New+York+uhd&qid=1614188192&sr=8-1

Otherwise I've seen DVD Diabolik mentioned a lot by those in the US for reliably sourcing imports:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/king-of-new-york-4k-uhd-arrow-uk-4k-uhd-all-region/

They're out of stock but it's not a ltd edition or anything so I'd imagine they'll have it again soon enough. It's a really good disc.

2 hours ago, Angel P said:

I can’t believe i missed this.  What would say is the best option for me to import?

I've had terrific luck ordering from Arrow directly (and I have Oldboy and the Demons set in today's mail from them, coincidentally!), although because shipping ain't cheap, it might be worth waiting for a sale and/or until you can stack it with some other titles you're interested in.

Finally picked it up in a sale but can definitely say that the UK Studio Canal disc of Fifth Element is a step up over the US Sony release. All that distracting sharpening is gone and I prefer the Dolby Vision HDR pass on this release too. It's one of Studio Canal's discs mastered by Fidelity in Motion so it's A+ on the compression front too.

Also grabbed Studio Canal's disc of Don't Look Now, which is a disc I've heard nothing but good things about, so I'm looking forward to spinning that soon.