LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Mondo Macabro indicated that they have plans for Ultra HD Blu-ray.

We don't know what they are, but we know what they aren't: Brigade of Death, which Mondo Macabro is collaborating on with Le chat qui fume.  Their European partner is giving it a UHD release overseas, but it won't be English-friendly.  Mondo Macabro didn't think it was the right title to experiment with on these shores, since they have a different business model.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hyuck, I mah gone have git me some help pickin’ me up one them thar Annihilation four kay casettes and sendin’ it across the waters!     ....better?

I picked up the Groundhog Day UHD at Best Buy. It’s a wonderful disc. Outside of the opening scene which is a bit grain heavy, the HDR pass really brings the transfer alive. Daylight scenes in particu

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL DREAMWORKS LET US HAVE A CURSE OF THE BLOODY WERERABBIT BLU SOME TIME???   Sorry. I am just a little frustrated about that one.

Posted Images

Sony really seem to have it got it together when it comes to audio options on their discs lately. The press details for Snatch note that it will include two Atmos tracks, one being the US mix and the other being the UK mix. Both mixes will also be available in their original 5.1 presentations as well.

Artwork for The Sting:

81KuFKDwFjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

UK rear cover:

91A3epmEJwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I forgot Universal's titles will be handled by Warner in the UK going forward (you can see Warner credited in the very small print as distributor there).

Ltd Edition from Zavvi UK (not sure if this is getting a US release):

12945433-9334848513430692.jpg

Really hope this is one is up there with Universal's better restorations. 

An unexpected Blu-ray upgrade coming from Arrow in June. Argento's 'The Bird with the Crystal Plumage':

I never did get around to getting their Blu-ray. 

In other Arrow news, they announced earlier this week that Arrow Academy is to cease in May and future releases will come under the Arrow Video umbrella. I'm rather sad about that. I liked there being two distinct lines with one for genre releases, and another for more foreign and classic films. It doesn't seem that the charge will be too harmful for Academy staff and future titles though.

UK back cover for Speed confirms my suspicion that the DVD extras mentioned in the press release are streaming only (unless the UK is being lumbered with the old Blu-ray while the US gets a shiny new pressing in the case alongside the UHD):

91RRc3mI4YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Atmos logo is also printed in error there. I suppose there's a slim chance we get a new Blu-ray despite what the back cover indicates, but I'd be surprised (that said, it wouldn't be the first time Disney UK have made such errors). I'll be curious to see the US back cover.

UK release is 17th May.

Universal are releasing Smokey and the Bandit on June 1st in the US.

I must admit that's a very random and unexpected catalogue title for them to want to roll out. I may have to take back my expectation that the Scott Pilgrim disc would end up with DTS-X over its new Atmos mix as I hadn't noticed that Universal have been putting Atmos on more discs recently. I mention it here because Smokey and the Bandit is seemingly getting it, and their recent disc of News of the World has one too. In Smokey's case it will be interesting to see what they do as the existing multi-channel mix is notoriously hated with added and incorrect sound effects (it's even mentioned on the film's wiki page) and Universal don't appear to be including the original mix.

Arrow are doing an alternate edition of their Bird with the Crystal Plumage release that features some gorgeous Italian artwork:

I much prefer that to the art they've done with the English cover. This will be an edition of 1000 copies according to the specs.

Worth noting both editions appear to feature the cover below as the reverse sleeve, so there is at least an alternate option with the English slipcase edition (which may carry over to an eventual non ltd edition):

b461651b-e56a-471d-b496-5a97c1c37941.jpg