LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

And speaking od Second Sight, they revealed the finished design for their forthcoming release of The Babadook:

Special Features 

• Audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
  • This is my House: a new interview with Actor Essie Davis
  • The Sister: a new interview with Actor Hayley McElhinney
  • Don't Let It In: a new interview with Producer Kristina Ceyton
  • Conjuring Nightmares: a new interview Producer Kristian Moliere
  • Shaping Darkness: a new interview with Editor Simon Njoo
  • If It's in a Name or in a Look: a new interview with Production Designer Alex Holmes
  • The Bookmaker: a new interview with the book designer Alexander Juhasz
  • Ba-Ba-Ba...Dook!: a new interview with Composer Jed Kurzel
  • Monster: Jennifer Kent's original short film
  • They Call Him Mister Babadook: The Making Of
  • There's No Place Like Home: Creating The House
  • Special Effects: Stabbing Scene
  • The Stunts
  • Illustrating Evil: Creating the Book
  • English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired

Limited Edition Contents

• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Peter Diamond
  • 150 page hardback book with new essays by Anna Bogutskaya, Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger, Rich Johnson, Jon Towlson and Laura Venning, archive Jennifer Kent interview, stills, behind-the-scenes photos and original illustration concepts for the book
  • 6 collectors' art cards 

They really are doing excellent work. I wonder how many more titles we can expect from them this year (we know they're doing the UK disc of Drive).

Signal One only operate in the UK, so short of another label doing their own release I'm afraid not. I don't know if the special features are in fact on both discs with this one though as they're not doing a separate Blu release like they did for Dawn of the Dead. So if it's a UHD/BD combo release then there's a possibility that they're on the UHD disc.

9 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

1619472312_1.jpg

The longstanding rumor is finally panning out (at least in France and Australia)!  And listings are also starting to go up for Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.  Both are listed with a release date of July 7th.

Studio Canal have RAN in the UK too, so it will definitely be released here by them as well (I can see it being one of their oversized collector's editions initially). Again, all we can do is pray that Fidelity in Motion got the job to master it.

I don't know if SC have the rights to Ghost Dog in the UK or not. It hasn't had a Blu-ray release here in the past. I like that one a lot.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:44 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Speed had been formally announced by Fox/Disney for May 4th in the US. It apparently includes a Dolby Atmos mix which is an unexpected addition (I wonder if, whenever it's officially announced, Heat will get one too?).

I'm not sure how to read the mention of the special features from the press release:

That's all of the old DVD extras they're including there, all of which were absent from the previous Blu save for the two commentaries, but the *bonus features vary by product and retailer notice makes me think they will probably be digital only and that the blu-ray bundled with the UHD will be the old disc since Disney don't put special features on UHDs (and I can't imagine they'll have gone to the effort of making a new 1080p disc). The press release does cover both disc and digital platforms so it makes sense. It would be nice to be wrong though.

Happy to have been wrong about this as the Blu-ray included with the US release of Speed is indeed a new disc, remastered, featuring all the old DVD extras.

Jury's out on whether the UK rear artwork is accurate in showing the included Blu to be the old disc, or whether its a misprint and we are in fact getting the new one too (the UK release is ten days after the US one so there's a slightly longer wait to find out). I'm guessing we'll be losing out on this one. 

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is coming on July 6th according to early indication (in the US) which is also the apparent date for Howard the Duck. Both of those will be from Universal, and it's also looking like Warner have Space Jam scheduled for release on the same day. 

Since the last time I watched The Final Countdown, I married someone whose father served on the Nimitz (though he left just before filming started), so maybe we'll all be able to watch it together at some point.

I definitely have this preordered.

First look at Arrow's True Romance UHD.

E0NyLsGWEAY_5uL?format=jpg&name=medium

New 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Directors Cut from the original camera negatives by Arrow Films. 

4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of both cuts Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing 

• Audio commentary by director Tony Scott 
  • Audio commentary by writer Quentin Tarantino Audio commentary by stars Christian Slater & Patricia Arquette 
  • Audio commentary by critic Tim Lucas Select scene commentaries by stars Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt and Michael Rapaport 
  • Brand new select scene commentary by star Saul Rubinek 

• New interview with costume designer Susan Becker 
  • New interview with co-editor Michael Tronick
  • New interview with co-composers Mark Mancina and John Van Tongeren 
  • New interview with Larry Taylor, author of Tony Scott: A Filmmaker on Fire New interview with Daniel Storm, co-founder of the annual True Romance Fest and owner of the original Cadillac
  • Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Tony Scott
  • Alternate ending with optional commentaries by Tony Scott and Quentin Tarantino 
  • Electronic press kit featurettes, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Tony Scott, Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper and Gary Oldman 
  • Trailers and TV spots 
  • Image galleries
  • *** EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***

If Warner still retain the rights in the US, which I believe they do(?), then this will be UK only as it's one of the Morgan Creek titles Arrow acquired on this side of the Atlantic (the others were Last of the Mohicans, Ace Ventura and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves). 

This is a leak ahead of this afternoon's July reveals so country availability will be confirmed in a few hours. The rest of the leaked information suggests Argento's The Cat O' Nine Tails is also getting a UHD (probably both UK/US) while July will apparently also see UK individual releases for the Demons UHDs for those who missed out on importing the box set.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory artwork:

GUEST_99dbb675-c825-49c5-82d9-fc11abc66f

GUEST_cc32100e-2769-4e2a-9436-32318851d4

Scheduled for June 29th in the US (hopefully around the same time for the UK). I'm really looking forward to this one, but it's a pity that it's yet another Warner catalogue title lacking the option of the original theatrical audio mix. 

Notice the SDS logo in the bottom left corner. That's the joint venture between Warner and Universal whereby Universal are now handling distribution of Warner's physical media in North America (while it's the opposite in the UK where Warner are now doing all of Universal's discs).

July Arrow releases confirmed.

Interestingly True Romance, which is a UK only release as expected, is getting a UHD/BD Combo Ltd Ed Deluxe Steelbook, a standard UHD/BD Combo steelbook, a UHD Ltd Ed and a BD Ltd Ed. I'll hold out a few months until they do a plain UHD release I think.

The individual editions of Demons and Demons 2 will also be combo UHD/BD releases.

And Argento's The Cat O'Nine Tails is indeed a UK/US/Canadian release, coming as a Ltd Ed with both English box art and a UK Arrow Store exclusive with an Italian variant:

Cat O'Nine Tails specs:

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• New 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
  • English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
  • Audio commentary by critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
  • Nine Lives, an interview with co-writer/director Dario Argento
  • The Writer O’ Many Tales, an interview with co-writer Dardano Sacchetti
  • Child Star, an interview with actress Cinzia De Carolis
  • Giallo in Turin, an interview with production manager Angelo Iacono
  • Script pages for the lost original ending, translated into English for the first time
  • Original Italian, international and US theatrical trailers

Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring an original essay on the film by Dario Argento, and writing by Barry Forshaw, Troy Howarth and Howard Hughes

Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative

Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards

Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring originally and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative

A retail listing in Denmark has A Clockwork Orange penciled in for September 20th:

https://cdon.dk/film/a-clockwork-orange-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-nordic-72874065

Looking forward to it, but Warner drip feeding one Kubrick title a year is certainly frustrating. I hope they at least continue on with them now that this will conclude their releases of his most popular titles. Eyes Wide Shut desperately needs a new 4k master, plus Barry Lyndon and Lolita would be just as welcome (though admittedly Criterion's Barry Lyndon disc is very nice).

I'll definitely pick up True Romance and Cat o' Nine Tails, although I might wait for a standard edition.  I've never seen the former (I know, I know), and the latter is my least favorite of Argento's golden period (and this'll be my fourth copy!).

1619887014_1.jpg

Later this month, Gunpowder & Sky is releasing (via Vinegar Syndrome) Prospect on UHD BD, starring Pedro Pascal, Sophie Thatcher, and Jay Duplass.  There's a limited edition exclusively on vinegarsyndrome.com, and they're listing a standard version as well.  Unclear if that standard edition will show up elsewhere later.

Region Free 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray Set

• 4k UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range in a brand new higher bitrate encode (exclusive to this release)
• 2021 Retrospective Interview with Filmmakers Christopher Caldwell and Zeek Earl
• Aurelac Prospecting - collectable booklet/manual (included with first 2,000 units)
• Commentary track with the filmmakers
• "Prospect" - short film version from 2014
• Behind the scenes featurette
• Deleted Scene: Channel Rat
• Deleted Scene: Leroy
• Inside Prospect: Helmets of Prospect
• Inside Prospect: The Drop Pod
• Scene Analysis with Costume Designer Aidan Vitti - Merc Camp
• Scene Analysis with Visual Effects Supervisor Ian Hubert - Dust VFX
• Scene Analysis with Visual Effects Supervisor Ian Hubert - Spaceship VFX
• Scene Analysis with Production Designer Matt Acosta - Cee Pod Interior
• Scene Analysis with Production Designer Matt Acosta - Ezra Arrival
• Theatrical trailer
• Filmmaker teaser trailer
• Multiple spots & bumpers
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH subtitles

There's a German retail listing for the 1995 Mortal Kombat:

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_mortal-kombat-abenteuer-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-2734175.html

I'm taking this with caution as there's been no rumour of the original coming out on disc alongside the remake (which is definitely due). Wouldn't surprise me if this is the 2020 version but they've typed up the wrong data. I'd be happy to be wrong though. 

4 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

I'll definitely pick up True Romance and Cat o' Nine Tails, although I might wait for a standard edition.  I've never seen the former (I know, I know)

I haven't seen True Romance in twenty odd years but found it tremendously entertaining at the time. I expect it to have held up well but I don't need the chunky box and paraphernalia so I will definitely wait it out for a few months until a standard edition surfaces. It's nice to have another Tony Scott film on UHD too (damn shame we didn't get a disc of Beverly Hills Cop 2 from Paramount and a sizeable chunk of titles from his career reside with Disney. New 4k masters of Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State would be such a treat. If only Disney would licence out to Arrow. 😩).

I really hope we see UHDs of Last of the Mohicans and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves from Arrow. Again, they have the UK rights now (while Fox/Disney still have Mohicans and Warner still have Robin Hood in the US) and to date have only ushered out barebones re-packaged copies of the old Warner discs just to keep them in print, which is precisely what they also did with True Romance until this announcement so surely those are indeed in the works.

Hopefully Mann and Costner/Reynolds would be cooperative. Arrow did the UK BD of Thief but although it came from a scan approved by Mann I think that was done outside of Arrow's involvement so they didn't have direct communication with Mann I don't think. I desperately want both theatrical and extended cuts of Mohicans, and Robin Hood too as in the latter's case I much prefer the theatrical cut. It's possible the only way they get to present both cuts is with a Ltd Ed as their Blu-ray of Thief originally had the theatrical cut alongside the Director's Cut if you got the initial pressings (which I missed out on, damn it), and the initial Arrow BD of Waterworld of course had the three cuts included. 

I've just been revisiting the cryptic list of forthcoming Arrow titles again following yesterday's reveals...

It doesn't look as though there will be a UHD amongst their August titles, but for the September line there's WTUHD and CUHD listed. October is perhaps hinting at Legend and Dune? Both have had postcards suggesting that they are on the way. Legend would be a US only release as Fox have the UK rights. If Legend isn't a 2021 release then LEUHD could in fact be The Last Emperor as they're supposed to be working on that (and I'd certainly like to see another classic, that would have previously been part of the Arrow Academy branding, get a UHD as we've only had Cinema Paradiso so far).

'Other UHD' is also now scribbled in on the line for October too in place of the now struck out Hx2UHD. Then November and December each seem to have a UHD title planned.