LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

On 5/1/2021 at 7:20 PM, Angry the Clown said:

There's a German retail listing for the 1995 Mortal Kombat:

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_mortal-kombat-abenteuer-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-2734175.html

I'm taking this with caution as there's been no rumour of the original coming out on disc alongside the remake (which is definitely due). Wouldn't surprise me if this is the 2020 version but they've typed up the wrong data. I'd be happy to be wrong though. 

Sure enough this proved too good to be true. It was indeed the wrong data as the added artwork shows it to be the 2020 film.

Howard the Duck special features:

• A Look Back at Howard the Duck
  • Releasing the Duck
  • The Stunts of Howard the Duck
  • News Featurette
  • The Special Effects of Howard the Duck
  • The Music of Howard the Duck
  • Teaser Trailers

AV specs are HDR10 and DTS-X.

I still can't believe this is even happening. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Howard the Duck special features:

AV specs are HDR10 and DTS-X.

I still can't believe this is even happening. 

I'm ecstatic that it is.

I love that stupid ass movie.

17 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm ecstatic that it is.

I love that stupid ass movie.

Sir, I have a collector's edition Blu-ray of the Street Fighter movie on my shelf. I'm not above buying this myself either. :)  That said, it will probably be left until it's on sale (May and June are jam packed with great UHD releases). John Barry's score for the movie is, of course, wonderful. 

I have a thing for wanting childhood cinematic curios in my collection.

Scott Pilgrim artwork:

13104195-8114860901243590.jpg

6th of July in the US (5th for the UK).

No confirmed A/V specs as yet.

The Thing looks to be scheduled for September (some European retail listings have it down for Sept 20th, so I'd imagine US will be the same week). I'll be really curious to see how that holds up to Arrow's Blu-ray as Universal were not the source of the master for that release.

Almost Famous seems to be coming in July in both US and UK which will be interesting as in the US Paramount will handle it, while Sony will put it out in the UK so how both compare a/v and specs wise we'll have to see. It's not yet known whether any release will just the Untitled cut or both.

Space Jam on July 6th from Warner in the US (July 5th in the UK):

2Wxyzx7.jpg

13106235-1364861980061857.jpg

13106235-1474861980010383.jpg

Second and third images are of the (admittedly rather nice) UK steelbook ltd edition from Titans of Cult.

Out of interest, I see a lot of fondness for this online but is anyone here a fan? I feel like I must be several years too old for it to have ranked as one of those favourites of my youth that in adulthood I can still possess nostalgia for despite it really not being very good. I bought it on iTunes a couple of years ago to again see if I was missing something but was still left unconvinced that I am (I guess my iTunes copy will update to 4k eventually though so I'll give it yet another chance).

I just noticed in the UHD menus for Speed that the audio commentaries are on there. Is that the first Disney disc to ever bother porting audio commentaries over to the UHD? It's not something Fox could be bothered to do with their discs even prior to being bought out by the Mouse.

Progress! Whatever next? 100GB discs? :) ...though Fox did do two (Alien and the UK disc of Braveheart) prior to Disney ownership.

That should hopefully mean that the commentary for Heat is included on the UHD itself when that's released. 

I'm completely wrong of course about Speed being the first Fox disc to port over the audio commentaries to the 4k disc. Predator had both audio and text commentaries ported over, while Alien had the two commentaries and two isolated scores. There are probably others I'm not aware of too. So while Disney/Lucasfilm/Pixar/Marvel discs continue to lack any extras, it's interesting that Speed would have the commentaries as it might suggest there's still some degree of independence in handling Fox titles under Disney. Whats weird then is why Home Alone didn't have the commentary on the UHD. 

That's curious that the US gets the non-steelbook Last Action Hero at a later date. We got both yesterday (I went for the regular, which has awful artwork, but 🤷‍♂️...). I'm really looking forward to watching the disc.

Is Raya and the Last Dragon good? I was tempted to grab that this week too but may wait until it's on sale as I've spent enough this month (plus Django and Indana Jones UHDs are weeks away). I'm keen to see it though. 

HDR10+ on the UK disc of Looper. Audio is DTS HD MA.

13125537-9714864511757102.jpg

It will definitely be interesting to see how this compares against a possible US disc (I'd expect a Sony disc to guarantee Atmos not present here). I'll sit out pre-ordering this one until a US disc is confirmed and people are able to compare the two.

3 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Last Action Hero disc is great. That movie just seems to get more fun every time I see it. I'm glad it clearly has its fans all these years later.

My steelbook arrived from Amazon this morning. I'll be spinning it later tonight for sure.

"Da bad guys are in dere!"