LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

By the way, Speed was a great disc. I really enjoyed revisiting it as I hadn't watched it in years. I still think they jumped the train tracks a bit with the finale though. I felt like the movie peaked at the bus explosion and could've done with a more muted capture/killing of Hopper's character but otherwise, its a treat and Bullock is still cute as all hell in it.

50 minutes ago, Romier S said:

My steelbook arrived from Amazon this morning. I'll be spinning it later tonight for sure.

"Da bad guys are in dere!"

"I'm de famous comedian Arnold Brownsweiger!"

The only real trick I think the movie misses is bringing in a load of movie villains and monsters at the end as Benedict threatens to do. I noticed tonight in the background that Night of the Living Dead is playing at one of the theatres and I thought that would have been great to have black and white zombies just thrown into the mix. McKellen as Death from The Seventh Seal is still a treat nevertheless.

46 minutes ago, Romier S said:

By the way, Speed was a great disc. I really enjoyed revisiting it as I hadn't watched it in years. I still think they jumped the train tracks a bit with the finale though. I felt like the movie peaked at the bus explosion and could've done with a more muted capture/killing of Hopper's character.

I don't disagree really, but we wouldn't get the "yeah? Well I'm TALLER" line which I think more than justifies it. :) 

Cameron Crowe has seemingly confirmed the upcoming UHD of Almost Famous will contain both cuts of the film. My preference will always be the untitled cut, but it's great that they're preserving the theatrical too. I'm going to be really interested to see how the US Paramount versions that compares to a UK Sony release. There's still no formal announcement or date, but the vinyl box set is due in July so that's likely when we can expect the 4k release too.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/almost-famous-soundtrack-box-set-1170716/

The US disc of Almost Famous from Paramount will release on July 13th. It includes both cuts with Dolby Vision on separate discs (no 1080p Blus are included). It will initially only be released as a ltd edition Steelbook. Audio is DTS HD MA 5.1.

JLtAgVj.jpg

8aAgiK3.jpg

Meticulously remastered from a new 4K film transfer under the supervision of Crowe, ALMOST FAMOUS is presented in stunning 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision® and HDR-10 for ultra-vivid picture quality.** The limited-edition 4K Ultra HD Steelbook includes both the original theatrical cut (plus access to a digital copy) and the beloved Bootleg cut (aka “Untitled”), along with new bonus content offering a backstage pass into the creative process through a new interview with Crowe, extended scenes, rock-school sessions, a look at the casting and costumes, and more. Previously released bonus content is also included as detailed below:

• Filmmaker Focus—Cameron Crowe on Almost Famous—NEW!
  • Casting & Costumes—NEW!
  • Rock School—NEW!
  • Extended Scenes—NEW!
  • Odds & Sods—NEW!
  • Audio Commentary with Cameron Crowe and Friends (Bootleg cut)
  • Intro by Cameron Crowe
  • The Making of Almost Famous
  • Interview with Lester Bangs (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • Cameron Crowe’s Top Albums of 1973
  • “Fever Dog” music video
  • “Loves Comes and Goes” (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • Rolling Stone Articles (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • B-Sides (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • Cleveland Concert (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • “Small Time Blues”
  • Stairway (optional audio intro by Cameron Crowe)
  • Script
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Hidden Talent (Unhidden Easter Eggs)

About the Limited-Edition Blu-ray

ALMOST FAMOUS will also be available in a limited-edition Blu-ray Disc™ and is—fittingly—Volume #21 in the Paramount Presents line. With collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of the film’s theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments, the release includes the remastered versions of the theatrical cut for the first time on Blu-ray (plus access to a digital copy) and the Bootleg cut, along with the bonus content listed above.

Again, I'm going to be VERY curious to see how a UK Sony release compares (quite possibly it gets Atmos but drops Dolby Vision. We'll have to see. Hopefully they end up being identical so people don't have to worry about which is better).

Really enjoyed the disc of The Sting. There's a smidge too much noise reduction in places for my taste, largely around the optical effects transitions, but it's not horrendous and generally the presentation is very pleasing with gorgeous colour (those reds!). Such a perfect movie.

Universal are definitely in a good place with their restorations these days. I'd really love it if they'd revisit Bourne Identity next year and do a new UHD for its 20th. 

Zavvi goofed this morning and leaked confirmation of Arrow's Dune UHD ahead of tomorrow's formal announcement. The listing has since been removed, but here's everything:

dune_4k_le-contents-jpg.1518835

• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
  • 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Andrew Nette, Christian McCrea and Charlie Brigden, an American Cinematographer interview with sound designer Alan Splet from 1984, excerpts from an interview with the director from Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch and a Dune Terminology glossary from the original release
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Dániel Taylor

DISC ONE - FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY):

• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Brand new audio commentary by film historian Paul M. Sammon
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike White of The Projection Booth podcast
  • Impressions of Dune, a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with star Kyle MacLachlan, producer Raffaella de Laurentiis, cinematographer Freddie Francis, editor Antony Gibbs and many others
  • Designing Dune, a 2005 featurette looking back at the work of production designer Anthony Masters
  • Dune FX, a 2005 featurette exploring the special effects in the film
  • Dune Models & Miniatures, a 2005 featurette focusing on the model effects in the film
  • Dune Costumes, a 2005 featurette looking at the elaborate costume designs seen in the film
  • Thirteen deleted scenes from the film, with a 2005 introduction by Raffaella de Laurentiis
  • Destination Dune, a 1983 featurette originally produced to promote the film at conventions and publicity events
  • Theatrical trailers and TV spots
  • Extensive image galleries, including hundreds of still photos

DISC TWO – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY):

• The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune, a brand new feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the making of the film, featuring dozens of new and archive interviews with cast and crew
  • Beyond Imagination: Merchandising Dune, a brand new featurette exploring the merchandise created to promote the film, featuring toy collector/producer Brian Sillman (The Toys That Made Us)
  • Prophecy Fulfilled: Scoring Dune, a brand new featurette on the film’s music score, featuring interviews with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather, Toto keyboardist Steve Porcaro, and film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Brand new interview with make-up effects artist Giannetto de Rossi, filmed in 2020
  • Archive interview with production coordinator Golda Offenheim, filmed in 2003
  • Archive interview with star Paul Smith, filmed in 2008
  • Archive interview with make-up effects artist Christopher Tucker

* EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE *

It should be a dual UK and US/Canada release as it'll be an international licence from Universal. UK Release date is 30th August (so I'd expect 31st for North America). I can't decide whether I'll get the ltd edition or wait six months (less?) for a standard disc only release. I like the slipcase a lot, and the booklet is of interest.

Norwegian artwork for Sony's version of Almost Famous appears to show that while audio specs and special features are going to be shared with the Paramount release, it will only featured the Bootleg cut in 4k while the theatrical cut will reside on an included 1080p Blu-ray. There also doesn't appear to be sign of Dolby Vision on the Sony release.

I think I'll go ahead and pre-order the US steelbook. 

I've heard that Lynch gets approval for all special features on any release for one of his films so I wasn't particularly shocked to see that it's not going to be there. That it's been completely withdrawn from distribution is really interesting to hear though. 

US/Canada gets a standard edition UHD of Django from Arrow in August:

Hoping my ltd ed import order will ship any day now.

Dune also confirmed for both US and UK as expected. Alternate steelbook edition pictured below (steelbook is 3 discs as it adds an HD Blu-ray of the film to the package):

Vinegar Syndrome made their Scanner Cop / Scanner Cop 2 double feature official this morning.  I've been in a "I will support all UHD boutique releases!" mindset for a few years now,  but I think I'm at a point where I no longer want to spend $40-$60 on movies I've never seen and am not terribly excited about.  😛  So I think I'm sitting out this and Six-String Samurai.

This special limited edition slipbox + dual slipcover set (designed by Ralf Krause & Earl Kess) is limited to 6,000 units and is only available here at VinegarSyndrome.com!

The two final entries in the Scanners saga, SCANNER COP and SCANNER COP 2 up the ante of gruesome effects and left field storytelling, and are offered here, newly restored in 4K, and on UHD and Blu-ray for the first time!

SCANNER COP:
Rookie cop Sam Staziak (Daniel Quinn, Wild At Heart) has a unique gift: he is a Scanner, which gives him the power to read the thoughts of others, and also to inflict great bodily harm...and death. To repress his abilities, he takes a medication designed to keep Scanners sane and rational and from exacting harm on others. When a mad scientist named Karl Glock (Richard Lynch, Invasion USA) begins using mind control to murder police officers, Sam realizes that only he and his unique gift can put an end to the mayhem and uncover the identity and diabolical motives of this bloodthirsty madman...

The first true sequel to David Cronenberg's 1980 horror classic, producer Pierre David's (Videodrome) first foray into directing, SCANNER COP, is a tense and bloody mix of gruesome body horror and action packed police thriller. Never released on disc in the US, Vinegar Syndrome proudly brings this mid 90s direct-to-video hit to Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD, newly restored from its 35mm original camera negative and featuring a brand new extended making of documentary with it’s cast and crew.

Directed by: Pierre David
Starring: Daniel Quinn, Darlanne Fluegel, Richard Grove, Richard Lynch, Hilary Shepard, Mark Rolston
1993 / 94 min / 1.85:1 / English Stereo

Additional info:
• Region Free 4k Ultra HD / Blu-ray combo
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm original negative
• 4k UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
• “Outside the Law: The Scanner Cop Revolution - Part One” - extended making-of documentary featuring interviews with: producer/director Pierre David, actress Hilary Shepard, actor Mark Rolston, actor Richard Grove, special effects artist Ted Haines, special effects artist James Rohland, stunt coordinator Jeff Pruitt, director (Scanner Cop II) Steve Barnett and screenwriter (You’re Next) Simon Barrett
• Original promotional video
• Commentary track by the We Hate Movies Podcast
• Reversible cover artwork
• Newly translated English SDH subtitles

---

SCANNER COP II:
Sam Staziak (Daniel Quinn, Wild At Heart), the Scanner Cop, had hoped that he could resume a normal life. When other Scanners in the Los Angeles area are being attacked, literally left drained of life, Sam is forced back into action in a desperate attempt to stop a mad Scanner named Volkin who is determined to become the most powerful - and ruthless - of his kind. But as Sam sets out to put an end to the ever increasing carnage gripping the city, he also finds himself in a personal crisis after his long estranged mother reappears, and becomes the focus of Volkin's growing rage.

Pervasively twisted and astonishingly gory, Steve Barnett's SCANNER COP II: THE SHOWDOWN does everything in its power to up the ante in terms of the Scanners' series violence and creative death sequences, with an array of extremely grisly and often 'explosive' demises courtesy of special effects wizard, John Carl Buechler (Mausoleum). Vinegar Syndrome is overjoyed to bring this unforgettable final chapter in the Scanners saga to Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD, newly restored from its 35mm original camera negative and featuring a brand new extended making of documentary with it’s cast and crew.

Directed by: Steve Barnett
Starring: Daniel Quinn, Patrick Kilpatrick, Khrystyne Haje, Robert Forster, Stephen Mendel
1994 / 95 min / 1.85:1 / English Stereo

Additional info:
• Region Free 4k Ultra HD / Blu-ray combo
• Newly scanned & restored in 4k from its 35mm original negative
• 4k UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
• Commentary track with director Steve Barnett
• “Outside the Law: The Scanner Cop Revolution - Part Two” - extended making-of documentary featuring interviews with: director Steve Barnett, producer Pierre David, actor Patrick Kilpatrick, actress Khrystyne Haje, actor Stephen Mendel, composer Richard Bowers, special effects artist Jeff Farley, makeup effects artist Tom Irvin, special effects artist James Rohland and screenwriter (You’re Next) Simon Barrett
• Original trailer
• Reversible cover artwork
• Newly translated English SDH subtitles

ScannerCop_back_720x.jpg

2 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

KL Studio Classics just confirmed that Out of Sight is in the works!

A must have! I'll be curious to see if Arrow do it for the UK as Universal own it in both territories (though doubt they'd do it this year if they have the UK rights). Soderbergh's been working on doing 4k masters of all of his films in recent years. I'd still love to see UHDs of his Ocean's trilogy as those are in dire need of an upgrade. I'm still frustrated that Lionsgate never bothered to do a 4k disc of The Limey.