LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

They are. Massive improvement over the Blu-rays on many levels. There's a number of interesting and subtle visual fx tweaks too.

The complete overhaul to Crystal Skull's colour grade is perhaps the biggest surprise. Since Spielberg oversaw all of the new 4k restorations I have to assume he and Kaminski had second thoughts about the look of the movie when they sat to do the new scan. The palette is somewhat closer to the older films now with the tedious modern teal and orange look dialled way back.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15966&d2=15967&c=6064

Apparently Kino have four more MGM licensed 4k titles to come, with two of them due in October. 

Interesting. I hope one of the titles is Raging Bull. Might they do the other two Dollars movies following the success of The Good the Bad and The Ugly? 

They also have two more 4k releases licensed from Universal in the works (in addition to the ones we're still waiting for: Touch of Evil, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Hard Target and Out of Sight).

Just a heads up that there seems to be some delay on shipments of the Indiana Jones set in North America, unless you're going for the steelbook edition, so anyone looking to get it today or this week might not be able to do so. Supplies are plentiful of both in the UK since yesterday, but in the US Paramount have clearly been hit by a manufacturing backlog of some sorts. I actually ordered the regular US set as it was cheaper than the UK one and I don't need the 1080p discs included with the UK set, so I'll be left waiting until Deepdiscount get stock. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Just a heads up that there seems to be some delay on shipments of the Indiana Jones set in North America, unless you're going for the steelbook edition, so any one looking to get it today or this week might not be able to do so. Supplies are plentiful of both in the UK since yesterday, but in the US Paramount have clearly been hit by a manufacturing backlog of some sorts. I actually ordered the regular US set as it was cheaper than the UK one and I don't need the 1080p discs included with the UK set, so I'll be left waiting until Deepdiscount get stock. 

Exactly what’s happened to me. I switched to the steelbooks a bit ago and am picking them at Best Buy later.

Reminded by this thread (LCVG has saved me time and money many times), I stopped by my local BB this morning.  Henry Jones Jr had an easier time getting the Ark than I did finally getting my long awaited 4K copy of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull from that store.  It came with three other hack works in the boxset, but into each life a little rain must fall.

Anyways, the boxes were not on shelves. Or an end cap.  Or anywhere.  So I went over to Store Pickup.  The young man was relatively confused by my request (do you have any 4K Indiana Jones’?) - he did not know what I was talking about.  Like literally what it was.  The computer, a picture of the steelbook set from BB’s own website, and another coworker finally assessed they had 5 copies somewhere.  So they sold me one on faith, and sent another stock checker to hunt it down.

Fortune favored me, as one was finally delivered into my hands.  Tonight I will watch Mutt swing on vines in 4K, as Iehova intended.

A listing for a Star Trek movie set comprising of The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage Home has surfaced on Amazon France with a September 8th release date:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B096TN7QM9?tag=bluraycom05-21

That's very odd that it would only include four films if the listing is accurate however. I wondered if that could mean that they might be splitting the original series cast films into two volumes, but surely that wouldn't be the plan as it'd be really weird to do four in one set and then just two movies in another when a three and three split would have made more sense (and then a third volume for the four next-gen movies). 

Norwegian retail listings have appeared for UHD steelbook releases of the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man from Universal.

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/dracula-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/frankenstein-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-invisible-man-1933-den-usynlige-mann-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-wolf-man-1941-ulvemannen-limited-steelbook-edition/

I can't seem to see any indication of a specific release date. I'd be SO happy if these are happening though.

This is a surprise. Sony are double dipping on Labyrinth.

fvFcgYN.jpg

4K BLU-RAY 

• PREVIOUSLY RESTORED IN 4K
  • DOLBY VISION PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO + 5.1 audio + original theatrical 2-Channel Surround audio
  • NEW: Deleted & Alternate Scene Oubliette
  • NEW Over 25 minutes of never-before-seen lost and alternate scenes, with all-new commentary from Brian Henson!
  • NEW: Sarah's Screen Tests
  • A collection of rare, original screen tests for the role of Sarah! Featuring Molly Ringwald, Trini Alvarado, Tracey Gold, Claudia Wells, Jill Schoelen, Maddie Corman and Danielle von Zerneck

BLU-RAY 

• Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • Dolby Atmos audio
  • "The Henson Legacy" Featurette 
  • Labyrinth Anniversary Q&A
  • "Remembering The Goblin King" Featurette
  • The Storytellers (Picture-in-Picture)
  • Commentary by Conceptual Designer Brian Froud
  • Original Making-of Documentary "Inside The Labyrinth"
  • "Journey Through the Labyrinth: Kingdom of Characters" Documentary
  • "Journey Through the Labyrinth: The Quest for Goblin City" Documentary
  • Theatrical Trailers

They've got me on those new special features and theatrical audio (the Dolby Vision is also new).

Release date is August 17th.

16 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

This is a surprise. Sony are double dipping on Labyrinth.

fvFcgYN.jpg

4K BLU-RAY 

• PREVIOUSLY RESTORED IN 4K
  • DOLBY VISION PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO + 5.1 audio + original theatrical 2-Channel Surround audio
  • NEW: Deleted & Alternate Scene Oubliette
  • NEW Over 25 minutes of never-before-seen lost and alternate scenes, with all-new commentary from Brian Henson!
  • NEW: Sarah's Screen Tests
  • A collection of rare, original screen tests for the role of Sarah! Featuring Molly Ringwald, Trini Alvarado, Tracey Gold, Claudia Wells, Jill Schoelen, Maddie Corman and Danielle von Zerneck

BLU-RAY 

• Dolby Atmos audio
  • "The Henson Legacy" Featurette 
  • Labyrinth Anniversary Q&A
  • "Remembering The Goblin King" Featurette
  • The Storytellers (Picture-in-Picture)
  • Commentary by Conceptual Designer Brian Froud
  • Original Making-of Documentary "Inside The Labyrinth"
  • "Journey Through the Labyrinth: Kingdom of Characters" Documentary
  • "Journey Through the Labyrinth: The Quest for Goblin City" Documentary
  • Theatrical Trailers

They've got me on those new special features and theatrical audio (the Dolby Vision is also new).

Release date is August 17th.

Hope the iTunes release gets updated with that DV and Atmos. 

7 minutes ago, kelley said:

Hope the iTunes release gets updated with that DV and Atmos. 

The original disc was Atmos. Isn't the iTunes? Even the 1080p Blu-ray had Atmos. The addition of the original 2.0 mix is the only audio change on the physical version of this re-issue.

It's got me thinking that Sony may well do the same for Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 at some point when they're ready to cash in on Afterlife as when they did re-issues a year or so ago on Blu-ray they added new extras and the theatrical mixes, but the UHDs themselves remained the same so there's an opportunity to put the original audio on the UHD discs, add the DV metadata as well, and put those new bonus features from the Blu-rays onto the UHDs.

Many months on, RAN finally has a formal UK release date of July 19th:

13156853-1794870285291131.jpg

Basic Instinct turned out to be another Studio Canal botch job (the double whammy of piss poor compression and DNR), so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this. It's now been quite a while since they had Fidelity in Motion do any of their releases and I'm worried SC might have stopped using them entirely. 

Sony have announces vol2 of their Classics Collection for September 14th:

It will contain:

• The Social Network
  • Taxi Driver
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Anatomy of a Murder
  • Oliver!
  • Stripes

COLUMBIA_CLASSICS_v2_Packshot.jpg?resize

The bonus disc with vol2 sounds great too (a 1080p compilation of old shorts from the studio's library):

In addition to the six restored films, the set will include an exclusive Blu-ray bonus disc that will feature 20 short films from the Columbia Pictures library all presented in high definition. Curated from over 80 years of the studio’s history, this selection of shorts will showcase a wide scope of creative output across both live-action and animation mediums.

The library of short films will include “Umpa,” “The Three Stooges: Disorder In The Court,” “Charley Chase: Man Bites Lovebug,” “Color Rhapsodies: The Little Match Girl,” “Charley Chase: The Sap Takes A Wrap,” “Color Rhapsodies: Dog, Cat and Canary,” “The Ragtime Bear,” “The Wonder Gloves” “Georgie and the Dragon,” “Madeline,” “Pete Hothead,” “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “When Magoo Flew,” “The Man on the Flying Trapeze,” “Christopher Crumpet’s Playmate,” “Stage Door Magoo,” “April in Portugal,” “The Chubbchubbs!,” “The Early Hatchling Gets The Worm” and “Puppy!: A Hotel Transylvania Short.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/the-social-network-taxi-driver-4k-columbia-classics-1234995988/

Pleasing selection of titles there. Stripes is really the only odd one out for me. 

Finally some Fincher on UHD disc!

Full content breakdown for the Columbia set:

Here are the individual disc specs:

ANATOMY OF A MURDER

4K Ultra HD technical specifications:

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, restored from the original camera negative
  • Dolby Atmos English audio
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Mono DTS-HD Master Audio

Blu-ray technical specifications:

Special Features:

• NEW: Commentary with Film Historian Foster Hirsch
  • Gary Giddins Interview
  • Pat Kirkham Interview
  • Foster Hirsch Interview
  • Excerpt from Firing Line Featuring Otto Preminger
  • Theatrical Trailer

OLIVER!

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, restored from the original camera negative
  • 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio

Feature Blu-ray Includes:

• 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD Master Audio

Special Features:

• NEW: Commentary with Film Historian Steven C. Smith
  • NEW: Jack Wild Screen Test
  • Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
  • Meeting Oliver!
  • Meeting Fagin!
  • The Locations of Oliver!
  • Sing-Alongs
  • Dance-Alongs
  • Theatrical Trailers

TAXI DRIVER

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, restored from the original camera negative

UHD Special Features:

• NEW: 20th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer
  • Making Taxi Driver Documentary
  • Storyboard to Film Comparisons with Martin Scorsese Introduction
  • Animated Photo Galleries

Blu-ray Includes:

Special Features:

• 40-Minute Taxi Driver Q&A featuring Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster and Many More Recorded Live at the Beacon Theatre in New York City at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival
  • Commentary with Director Martin Scorsese and Writer Paul Schrader Recorded by the Criterion Collection
  • Commentaries by Writer Paul Schrader and by Professor Robert Kolker
  • Martin Scorsese on Taxi Driver
  • Influence and Appreciation: A Martin Scorsese Tribute
  • Producing Taxi Driver
  • God’s Lonely Man
  • Taxi Driver Stories
  • Travis’ New York
  • Travis’ New York Locations
  • Theatrical Trailer

STRIPES

• Both Theatrical & Extended versions presented in 4K resolution with HDR10, restored from the original camera negative
  • Dolby Atmos English audio (for both versions)
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (for both versions)
  • Mono DTS-HD Master Audio (Theatrical version only)

Special Features:

• NEW: 40 Years of Stripes With Bill & Ivan – a two-part on-camera reunion between star Bill Murray and director Ivan Reitman, discussing their careers, memories from set, a tribute to the cast, as well as a special guest appearance from cinematographer Bill Butler
  • NEW: Theatrical Trailer

• Both Theatrical & Extended versions presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K masters
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (for both versions)
  • Mono DTS-HD Master Audio (Theatrical version only)

Special Features:

• Commentary with Ivan Reitman and Dan Goldberg (Extended version only)
  • NEW: 11 Additional Deleted & Extended Scenes
  • NEW: 1983 TV Version of the film (in standard definition)
  • Deleted & Extended Scenes from the Extended version of the film
  • Stars and Stripes Documentary

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY

• 5.0 DTS-HD Master Audio

• 5.0 DTS-HD Master Audio

Special Features:

• NEW: 25th Anniversary Reunion: Back to Barton Cottage – an expansive on-camera reunion featuring Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Greg Wise, Imelda Staunton, Imogen Stubbs, Myriam Francois, producer Lindsay Doran, and director Ang Lee
  • Emma Thompson & Producer Lindsay Doran’s Audio Commentary
  • Director Ang Lee & Co-Producer James Schamus’s Audio Commentary
  • Adapting Austen Featurette
  • A Sense of Character Featurette
  • A Very Quiet Man Featurette
  • Locating the World of Sense and Sensibility Featurette
  • Elegance & Simplicity: The Wardrobe of Sense and Sensibility Featurette
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Theatrical & International Trailers

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

• Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • Unrated Dolby Atmos English audio
  • Unrated 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Theatrical 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Special Feature:

• NEW: Theatrical Trailers

• Feature presented in high definition
  • Theatrical 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary with David Fincher
  • Audio Commentary with Aaron Sorkin & Cast

Special Feature Blu-ray Includes:

• How Did They Ever Make a Movie of Facebook?
  • David Fincher and Jeff Cronenweth on the Visuals
  • Angus Wall, Kirk Baxter and Ren Klyce on Post
  • Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and David Fincher on the Score
  • Ruby Skye VIP Room: Multi-Angle Scene Breakdown
  • In the Hall of the Mountain King: Reznor’s First Draft
  • Swarmatron

EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC INCLUDES:
20 short films from the Columbia Pictures library, presented in high definition:

• Umpa
  • The Three Stooges: Disorder In The Court
  • Charley Chase: Man Bites Lovebug
  • Color Rhapsodies: The Little Match Girl (Academy Award® nominee, 1937, Best Short Subject, Cartoons)
  • Charley Chase: The Sap Takes A Wrap
  • Color Rhapsodies: Dog, Cat and Canary (Academy Award® nominee, 1944, Best Short Subject, Cartoons)
  • The Ragtime Bear
  • The Wonder Gloves
  • Georgie and the Dragon
  • Madeline (Academy Award® nominee, 1952, Best Short Subject, Cartoons)
  • Pete Hothead
  • The Tell-Tale Heart (Academy Award® nominee, 1953, Best Short Subject, Cartoons)
  • When Magoo Flew (Academy Award® winner, 1954, Best Short Subject, Cartoons)
  • The Man on the Flying Trapeze
  • Christopher Crumpet's Playmate
  • Stage Door Magoo
  • April in Portugal
  • The Chubbchubbs! (Academy Award® winner, 2002, Best Short Film, Animated)
  • The Early Hatchling Gets The Worm
  • Puppy!: A Hotel Transylvania Short

So, 'unrated' audio for Social Network is interesting. The press release containing all of the above data doesn't mention there being a new cut of the film, so I have to assume Fincher's simply made some changes opting for alternate audio takes that now push it beyond its original PG-13 rating.

Most of the extras from the Criterion Anatomy of a Murder are included with the UHD here, plus there's a commentary not on the Criterion disc. I'm so glad I hadn't yet picked that up (I even had it on my shortlist when making my selections in a recent Criterion sale).