LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

I wonder if they paid Arrow for the assets for their release as on the Arrow version they credit themselves for the new 4k scans. Quite possible they've gone so far as to just use Arrow's encode too (I believe that's happened once or twice where a US indie used Arrow's master and encode for a disc). If they did have some kind of agreement with Arrow I suppose it's possible Arrow might have stipulated Synapse hold off on a US announcement until a particular date?

There's now some sign at retail of Paramount also prepping From Dusk Til Dawn (another Miramax/Dimension title) for October 26th. 25th Anniversary so hopefully they load that up with special features (there's some great stuff dating all the way back to the laserdisc release, plus Full Til Boogie of course).

Crossing all fingers they also do a disc of The Crow in time for Halloween as well, but I'm not convinced they'll think it has a big enough fanbase. 

On 6/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Norwegian retail listings have appeared for UHD steelbook releases of the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man from Universal.

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/dracula-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/frankenstein-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-invisible-man-1933-den-usynlige-mann-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-wolf-man-1941-ulvemannen-limited-steelbook-edition/

I can't seem to see any indication of a specific release date. I'd be SO happy if these are happening though.

In addition to the Norwegian listings that surfaced, there are now French retail listings for UHDs of the classic Universal Dracula, Frankenstein, Invisible Man and Wolf Man films, so it looks like these are definitely happening. It appears there will be a box set including all four as well. The European date is October 6th.

It's strange that they are omitting The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon as those are typically the big seven they've pushed together in the past (and I'm fairly sure their 4k restorations were done between 2012 and 2015). 

Pixar's 'Luca' gets a UHD disc in the US on August 3rd w/Atmos. Cruella looks to be coming on September 21st (also with Atmos).

Warner seem to have The Shawshank Redemption set for Sept 14th and A Clockwork Orange for Sept 21st in the US. Meanwhile some European retail listings have Warner's release of Gravity down for late October.

Shout/Scream Factory will seemingly be releasing UHDs of Halloween II, Season of the Witch and Halloween 4 on September 28th in the US. More surprising is that they also seem to be doing their own UHD of the original 1978 film, which I think would mark the first time Lionsgate has allowed an indie to release (or in this instance re-release) one of their titles on UHD. It'll be interesting to see if it includes the original mono audio mix.

That's now left me wondering if 'HUHD' in October on Arrow's teaser of forthcoming releases could in fact be their own disc of Halloween 78 for the UK since Shout/Scream don't distribute on this side of the Atlantic. 

Aaaand the hits just keep on coming. Domestic US confirmation of the first four Star Trek films on September 7th:

PARAMOUNT-SDS 804729
UPC: 191329205198
Release Date: 9/7/2021

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/35146866/star-trek-original-4-movie-collection-4k-hud-digital-pg

Incidentally, a streaming platform in the UK now has First Contact available in 4k. Paramount are clearly working through them all but for whatever reason will be staggering the releases. Hopefully they will be individually housed in the Sept box set as it's still kind of weird to me to only bundle the first 4 together like that. We know the Motion Picture in this set will be the theatrical cut, which is fine, I want to see that preserved and released, and if they are still working on doing a 4k version of the Director's Cut as rumoured then they can sell that in the future.

It'd be nice if they put both cuts of Undiscovered Country on an eventual disc of that one, but suspect that will be the director's cut only. Have Paramount ever done a UHD containing two versions of a film before? 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Shout/Scream Factory will seemingly be releasing UHDs of Halloween II, Season of the Witch and Halloween 4 on September 28th in the US. More surprising is that they also seem to be doing their own UHD of the original 1978 film, which I think would mark the first time Lionsgate has allowed an indie to release (or in this instance re-release) one of their titles on UHD. It'll be interesting to see if it includes the original mono audio mix.

That's now left me wondering if 'HUHD' in October on Arrow's teaser of forthcoming releases could in fact be their own disc of Halloween 78 for the UK since Shout/Scream don't distribute on this side of the Atlantic. 

Halloween 2 and 3 are definite day one purchases.  If Halloween 78 has the original mono mix and the PQ is at least on par with the Lionsgate release, it'll be an easy double dip for me. 

I'm in for Halloween 2 and 4. I've tried with 3 but no thanks. I'll gladly dip again for Halloween '78 as well.

I want the Director's Cut of the Motion Picture but I'm in for all four Star Trek films. Easy purchases there.

22 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I've tried with 3 but no thanks.

I remember going on opening night and hating it.  I gave it a chance when I rented it on VHS and still hated it.  But then I saw the subsequent Michael Myers sequels and hated those just as much.  So I revisited SotW just a few years ago when I picked up the SF Halloween box set and didn't think it was as bad as I remembered it.  Still not great but I enjoyed it enough.  I just wish it would've just been called Season of the Witch.  

3 minutes ago, Angel P said:

I remember going on opening night and hating it.  I gave it a chance when I rented it on VHS and still hated it.  But then I saw the subsequent Michael Myers sequels and hated those just as much.  So I revisited SotW just a few years ago when I picked up the SF Halloween box set and didn't think it was as bad as I remembered it.  Still not great but I enjoyed it enough.  I just wish it would've just been called Season of the Witch.  

I love Dean Cundey's cinematography. I love the soundtrack. I even like some of the cast but the movie bores the shit out of me. It has little to do with it having the Halloween name for me. I just don't like the movie much is all.

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

I love Dean Cundey's cinematography. I love the soundtrack. I even like some of the cast but the movie bores the shit out of me. It has little to do with it having the Halloween name for me. I just don't like the movie much is all.

That's fair.  For many years, I looked back at these movies (with the exception of ANoeS), with disdain.  Most 80s horror movies just don't age well but lately I've been looking back at some of them and finding myself enjoying them as if watching for the first time.  

To get this thread back on track, I'm really looking forward to these 80s horror movies (Demons 1 & 2 as well) releasing on UHD.  Not all though as I think The New York Ripper is a silly, boring movie.   

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Aside from II I can't even remember which of the other sequels I've seen anymore. I don't think I've seen them all.

All are lesser films than the direct 2018 sequel by a mile, IMHO. 
Though I would say that the original part II, IV and H2O are worthwhile.  II and IV just abandon any pretense and go straight 80’s style slasher movies. IV has a fantastic performance by Danielle Harris and a wonderfully creepy ending that the fifth movie does fuck all with.

H20 is a nice post-Scream era sequel that tries to do what 2018 did and mostly succeeds in vastly different ways but again, it doesn’t rise too much above the standard slasher fare that we got in theaters at the time. It’s the strongest of the original sequels for me these days. It used to be IV but H20 is just a better made film.

Otherwise, the remaining sequels range from absolute Friday the 13th tier garbage (or worse as both Rob Zombie movies can die in a fucking fire) to so bad it starts to become entertaining (Halloween 6 Producers Cut).

Of the big Slasher icon franchises, Nightmare and Halloween slug it out pretty good for me on the sequel franchise quality front. Nightmare 3, 4 and New Nightmare are legit quality movies. New Nightmare in particular is every bit the classic for me as the original Elm Street. That incarnation of Freddy still creeps me out.

That hadn't been posted, no. Good to know. It had put me off getting it so I'll have to keep an eye on when the corrected editions are available in stores. Honestly though, I am still quite happy with my old Blu-ray edition of that one I think. I haven't loved what I've seen of the noise reduction affecting some of the line work on the UHD.

33 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It looks like Carlito’s Way is rumored to be hitting October 26th?! That’s a big, easy buy for me.

Yeah I posted about that one last week as it was starting to show up with some European retailers for October. I'm eager to grab that too. 

57 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I hope to god that Shout continue their run of having the original poster art as reversible covers because these are bloody awful.

Good grief.

I'm still hoping 'HUHD' on Arrow's teaser schedule is indeed a UK edition of the first film as I trust them more than Shout, but I think it's a long shot as I've yet to see Lionsgate licence out to an indie label here, but there's a first time for everything I suppose (and if they're letting Shout re-issue it on UHD for North America then maybe....?). If Arrow don't do it for the UK, and Shout don't botch their disc in any way and include the mono mix, then I'd be tempted to double dip.

Weird to think we're now at a point where we're seeing films released on UHD multiple times. It leaves me desperately hoping Universal might right their wrong with the Bourne Identity for its 20th Anniversary next year.

6 hours ago, Romier S said:

I hope to god that Shout continue their run of having the original poster art as reversible covers because these are bloody awful.

3394FFC0-E2B6-40A2-B8E1-DDB3ACA53FC3.jpeg

3FD5CE8C-E0C9-40B3-B0A4-F24F6F9C39FC.jpeg

73D16A21-AFA6-4C70-9180-04556732491C.jpeg

3BF711FD-95E6-415A-A466-BCA0201C93F3.jpeg

CC82B2DE-C2F2-4010-8FAF-EB8BF9EB3AC9.jpeg

Same here because I'll be printing replacement covers if they don't.  Fuck those look awful!!!