LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Specs for Shout's Halloween. 

DISC ONE (4K UHD):
NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW Dolby Atmos Track

• Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actress Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Editor Tommy Lee Wallace, And Actor Nick Castle

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW Dolby Atmos Track

• Audio Commentary With John Carpenter And Jamie Lee Curtis
  • Audio Commentary With Dean Cundey, Tommy Lee Wallace, And Nick Castle
  • “The Night She Came Home”
  • TV Version Footage
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots

DISC THREE (BLU-RAY):

• Original Color Timing Presentation
  • Vintage Interview With Producer Moustapha Akkad
  • “Halloween: A Cut Above The Rest”
  • “Halloween Unmasked 2000”
  • Halloween – The Extended Cut In HD (TV Inserts Are In Standard Definition)
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Radio Spots

DISC 1 – 4K ULTRA HD: 2160p 4K Dolby Vision (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, 5.1, Original Mono
DISC 2 – BLU-RAY: 1080p High-Definition (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, 5.1, Original Mono
DISC 3 – BLU-RAY: 1080p High-Definition (2.35:1)/DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Specifically going so far as to highlight that the HD film presentation on second Blu-ray features the original colour timing I guess indicates that Cundey is changing things up yet again for the new 2021 4k presentation. That'll be interesting. Good to see that the mono mix will indeed be there.

Halloween II:

DISC ONE (4K UHD):
NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW 2021 Dolby Atmos Track

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey

• “The Nightmare Isn’t Over – The Making Of Halloween II” Featuring Rick Rosenthal, Dick Warlock, Composer Alan Howarth, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Actors Lance Guest And Leo Rossi, And More
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Revisiting The Original Shooting Locations

DISC 1 – 4K ULTRA HD: 2160p Dolby Vision (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Stereo
DISC 2 – BLU-RAY: 1080p High-Definition (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Stereo

Season of the Witch:

DISC ONE (4K UHD):
NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey

• “Stand Alone: The Making Of Halloween III: Season Of The Witch” Featuring Tommy Lee Wallace, Actors Tom Atkins And Stacey Nelkin, Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, And More
  • Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: Revisiting The Original Shooting Locations With Host Sean Clark And Tommy Lee Wallace

DISC 1 – 4K ULTRA HD: 2160p Dolby Vision (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono
DISC 2 – BLU RAY: 1080p High-Definition (2.35:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono

Halloween 4:

DISC ONE (4K UHD):

NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative

NEW 2021 Dolby Atmos Track

• Audio Commentary With Actors Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
  • Audio Commentary With Director Dwight H. Little And Author Justin Beahm

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative

NEW 2021 Dolby Atmos Track

• Audio Commentary With Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
  • Audio Commentary With Dwight H. Little And Justin Beahm
  • “The Making Of Halloween 4: Final Cut”
  • “The Making Of Halloween 4”
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Still Gallery

DISC 1 – 4K ULTRA HD: 2160p Dolby Vision (1.85:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

DISC 2 – BLU-RAY: 1080p High-Definition (1.85:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

Halloween 5:

DISC ONE (4K UHD):
NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative

• Audio Commentary With Actor Don Shanks
  • Audio Commentary With Director Dominique Othenin-Girard And Actors Danielle Harris And Jeffrey Landman

DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):
NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative

• Audio Commentary With Don Shanks
  • Audio Commentary With Dominique Othenin-Girard, Danielle Harris, And Jeffrey Landman
  • “Inside Halloween 5”
  • “The Making Of Halloween 5”
  • “On The Set: Behind-The-Scenes Footage”
  • Halloween 5 Promo
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots

DISC 1 – 4K ULTRA HD: 2160p Dolby Vision (1.85:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

DISC 2 – BLU-RAY: 1080p High-Definition (1.85:1)/Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282145

Will wait for reviews of how the first one looks. 

A Mad Max Anthology box set has surfaced on Amazon France.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B098RW6WVP?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=blu-ray+4k&qid=1625599634&s=dvd&sr=1-3&tag=bluraycom05-21

I suspect this will only be an international release as Warner do not have the rights to the first film in the US (and besides Kino did their disc already). The US is apparently due individual discs of 2 and Beyond Thunderdome from Warner though so nobody is going to miss out. What will be interesting with this set though is to see how Warner's disc of the first film compares to Kino's.

In the Heights has a UK date for 27th September. I'd imagine the US release will be around the same time.

c63420b8-37ef-470f-a193-1d5a97839e26.jpg

I'm so happy it's getting a disc. Warner sometimes get cold feet about doing UHDs when something underperforms at the box office so it's a relief to see that's not the case here. I really loved the movie.

The 4k restoration for the director's cut of Star Trek The Moton Picture has been given the go ahead by Paramount:

The restoration will be undertaken by producer David C. Fein, restoration supervisor Mike Matessino, and visual effects supervisor Daren R. Dochterman, all of whom worked previously with director Robert Wise.

The film will be prepared for presentation in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision™ high dynamic range (HDR) and a new Dolby Atmos® soundtrack. The restoration is expected to take 6-8 months and will launch with an exclusive window on Paramount+.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/directors-edition-of-star-trek-the-motion-picture-set-to-be-fully-restored

I'm not sure where that fits in with the forthcoming four film box set. The timeline for completion would not add up with the targeted release date, and if it's to debut first on Paramount+ then I'd have to assume it will get its own separate UHD while the theatrical cut ends up in the box (I'd really like to see both made available so I don't mind that scenario, though I still think that four film set is an odd approach to rolling out the films in 4k. Perhaps they'll delay it into 2022).

More info on the boxed set:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28863

FCA6B369-371D-4A93-BAE7-DEAA8F67C440.png

On the four film approach, I don’t think it’s entirely odd. Star Trek II, III and IV are almost one continual narrative arc with a fairly good stopping point. Adding the original film on top of them makes sense, really as it slots in fine as the characters “relaunch/reintroduction” into the theatrical films. If I remember correctly, Paramount has sold II, III and IV together in their own boxed set in the past on DVD.

I’m seriously impressed by the Howard the Duck disc. There are some soft optical effects of course but man there’s some great contrast on display here with the HDR pass and the cleaner/deeper black levels. There’s a wonderful thin layer of grain and just tons of detail I haven’t ever seen before. It’s been years since I revisited the film but I have such a soft spot for it. Jeffrey Jones is having so much fun and I just gush with glee at the stop motion Dark Overlord in the finale.

….and Lea Thompson.

shocked oh my GIF

I'll be grabbing it when it goes into a sale but am oddly looking forward to seeing it again. Universal have become really reliable with catalogue stuff these days. The Back to the Future discs are really the only recent discs of theirs where I had some issues, but even there things weren't so bad as to be a major distraction. I love the volume of catalogue content we're getting from Universal too. I hope they've got a great scan and master for The Thing (ideally they'll use the one Arrow did for their Blu-ray).

Of the major studios they seem to be on par with Sony in terms of how many older titles they're getting out there per year (perhaps even besting Sony in that respect. I'd need to do the numbers to be sure). I wish Warner would ramp up the annual quantity of their catalogue releases.

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

https://www.startrek.com/news/celebrate-the-55th-anniversary-with-these-new-star-trek-releases-and-more

Confirms both theatrical and directors cuts of Star Trek II. Theatrical for the Motion Picture only as expected. More details on what’s included at the link. Also confirms a steel book release of the original series on Blu-Ray.

That's great, but I still think it's a weird box set. I get your thinking on the story arc across those first four, but ''The original 4 movie collection'..... implies that V and VI are what exactly, and how then do Paramount release V and VI when you'd think individual sets for the original cast and TNG cast movies would make the most sense? Still, including both cuts of Khan should bode well for the eventual release of Undiscovered Country having both as well. Nice that the included Blus are all remastered too.

It'll be interesting to see how they brand future sets, or perhaps we'll only see V through to Nemesis as individual releases (around a time when we might see the first four get individual discs too and that director's cut of TMP perhaps?) . I'm trying to work out Paramount's release strategy here. You'd think the best way to sell people V would be to have it in a boxed set.

It's going to be hard to resist this set, and yet I can't help but think we will some day get a complete collection as well. I love the box artwork.

I wonder how much the The Original Series Steelbook Blu-ray collection revealed at that link will cost. I never got round to buying the original releases and weirdly they seem to be quite hard to find these days in the UK. 

US date for The Thing has been formally announced for September 7th:

13309_tn.jpg

Special Features 
Features High Dynamic Range (HDR10) for Brighter, Deeper, More Lifelike Color
John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape
Outtakes
Theatrical Trailer
Feature Commentary with Director John Carpenter and Kurt Russell

Technical Information 
Run Time: Theatrical : 1 Hour(s) 49 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Language & Audio: English DTS:X Master Audio / French European DTS Digital Surround 5.1 / Latin Spanish DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: English SDH / French Canadian / Latin Spanish
Picture: Widescreen / Color
Release Date: September 7, 2021
Number of Discs: 2

If there's one area Universal do still upset me it's regarding how rarely they include original audio mixes. It's a shame Universal wouldn't just let Arrow have the 4k rights for this one. I'm not sure how I can stick the Universal UHD in with the Arrow steelbook that I have since Arrow's release was only a single disc.

Are the Trek UHDs in fact getting individual discs in September? The Blu-rays are and I have to commend the use of original posters for the artwork.

294790_large.jpg?t=1625755835

294796_large.jpg?t=1625756093

294798_large.jpg?t=1625756162

294797_large.jpg?t=1625756176

Blu-ray.com is listing individual UHDs in their database for September but I am not sure if that's an error (they don't connect to any retail listings like the Blu-rays do). I think we'd know if we were getting single UHDs as well right out of the gate.

Unbreakable is officially releasing September 21st. Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook coming as well:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/071321-0600

unbreakable4k_large.jpg 

unbreakable_bestbuy_steelbook.jpg 

Billed as an Ultimate Collector’s Edition, the 4K Ultra HD release of Unbreakable will include HDR10 high dynamic range and audio in English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, and Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital. Subtitles will be available in English SDH, Spanish, and French.

Best Buy will carry an exclusive Steelbook edition of the title, which will be available for pre-order on August 10th.

Extras on the 4K release will include the following...
  • Deleted Scenes
    • Elijah Taken Away
    • Audrey in Waiting Room
    • David in Shower
    • Elijah at Fair
    • David with Priest
    • Audrey Calls David
    • Weightlifting in Locker Room
  • Behind the Scenes – Explore the making of Unbreakable from concept to completion.
  • Comic Books and Superheroes – Take an in-depth look at comic book artistry and profiles of leading comic book artists.
  • Night’s First Fight Sequence – M. Night Shyamalan introduces this fight scene from a film he made as a child.
  • The Train Station Sequence: Storyboards & Final Scene – Compare animated storyboards to the final scene.

Hopefully Roger Rabbit (and Heat) get their formal announcements soon too. 

There's no retail hints but it'd be really nice if Disney release Home Alone 2 (which is now 4k on Disney+ in some countries) and the new 4k restoration of the extended version of Muppet Christmas Carol that they're sitting on (it's not yet on Disney+) before the year is out. There's a vast list of Fox catalogue titles I'd love to see, but those two are possibly in with the most realistic chance of a release if we're to get any more catalogue UHDs from Fox/Disney at all in 2021. 

Forgot to post this the other day but a (seemingly verified) post from an individual on the Criterion fan forum has stated that they will finally be releasing a UHD in the near future, claiming it to be an "American film made within the past 30 years." They kept it vague so as not to upset their source or Criterion, but sent proof to one of the forum moderators who say it checked out.

https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=735703#p735703

Hopefully it's something unique to their acquisition library and not a title already released in 4k internationally. From Criterion's perspective it might help if it's something they haven't yet already released as a Blu-ray either.

I picked up Scott Pilgrim earlier this week and gave it a spin a few nights back. Man, its fantastic! The Dolby Vision presentation is a marked improvement over the Blu-Ray release. Primarily in that the film does not look so damned bright and oversaturated anymore. This allows the grain structure in the film to really become much more apparent right from the get-go. Skins tones look natural and contrast has seen a nice boost with nice deep blacks and great color and detail. I'm ecstatic with the disc and I had forgotten how much I love this movie. It's been a long time since I watched it and so much of it still works so well today. I had also forgotten how many "big" names are in the movie, too. The gag with Scott's hair and the hat still makes me laugh.:D

Highly recommended.

Kino's getting BUSY with confirmation that they will indeed be doing UHDs of A Fistful of Dollars and For a Dew Dollars More (both SDR like Good the Bad and The Ugly). They've also announced a UHD of Misery, another MGM license, for October 12th (with Dolby Vision) which I'm also very happy about.

Specs for Misery:

aVV0nhV.jpg

4KUHD DISC 1:
• HDR Dolby Vision
• Audio Commentary by Director Rob Reiner
• Audio Commentary by Screenwriter William Goldman
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
• Optional English Subtitles
• UHD 100 Triple Layer Disc

BLU-RAY DISC 2:
• Audio Commentary by Director Rob Reiner
• Audio Commentary by Screenwriter William Goldman
• Misery Loves Company: Featurette (29:52)
• Marc Shaiman’s Musical Misery Tour: Featurette (14:28)
• Diagnosing Annie Wilkes: Featurette (8:47)
• Advice for the Stalked: Featurette (4:58)
• Profile of a Stalker: Featurette (6:17)
• Celebrity Stalkers: Featurette (5:08)
• Anti-Stalking Laws: Featurette (2:23)
• Season’s Greetings Trailer (2:25)
• Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Misery is indeed great. It's been on my list of Shout discs to import funnily enough as the UK Blu-ray that MGM did is barebones. I'd always hoped Arrow would pick it up in the UK but unless they already have it under previous arrangement with MGM they're unlikely to be able to get it in future with the Amazon buyout in motion, so it'll be another Kino title I'll import.

Kino revealed that they have twelve UHDs in the works, ten of which are Dolby Vision (the other two being the SDR Man with No Name releases mentioned above). I'm assuming the ten includes Misery, and we can probably add Touch of Evil and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to that list too, though we're still without much in the way of updates on those despite their initial announcements.