LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Surprised but nevertheless pleased to see Studio Canal are bringing The Servant to UHD in the UK on Sept 21st:

qMt1Ye7.jpg

Special Features:
Feature in both 1:66 and 1:77 aspect ratios

• NEW: Locations featurette with Adam Scovell
  • NEW: Video essay with Film Historian Matthew Sweet and Film Critic Phuong Le
  • Trailer
  • Stills Gallery
  • Interview with Wendy Craig
  • Interview with Sarah Miles
  • Interview with Stephen Woolley
  • Harry Burton on Harold Pinter
  • John Coldstream on Dirk Bogarde
  • Audio Interview with Douglas Slocombe conducted by Matthew Sweet
  • Joseph Losey & Adolphus Mekas at the New York Film Festival in 1963
  • Harold Pinter Tempo Interview
  • Joseph Losey Talks About The Servant
  • James Fox Interviewed by Richard Ayoade
  • 64 page booklet with essays by Peter Bradshaw and Anna Smith
  • Artcards

I'll likely wait for a standard edition as with most Studio Canal releases.

From KL Studio Classics:

1626894798_1.jpg

Coming October 19th on 4KUHD!

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) (30th Anniversary)
4KUHD DISC 1:
• HDR Dolby Vision
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
• Optional English Subtitles
• UHD 100 Triple Layer Disc

BLU-RAY DISC 2:
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Inside the Labyrinth: Documentary (66:28)
• Page to Screen: Documentary (41:17)
• Understanding the Madness: Featurette (19:35)
• Scoring the Silence: Featurette (16:00)
• Original 1991 Making-of Featurette (8:07)
• Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster Interviews (52:30)
• Deleted Scenes
• Outtakes
• Anthony Hopkins Phone Message (:30)
• TV Spots
• Theatrical Teaser
• Hannibal Trailer
• Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Stereo
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 118 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Screen legends Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins deliver sensational, Oscar-winning performances in this spellbinding thriller based on the bestselling novel by Thomas Harris (Red Dragon, Hannibal). A psychopath nicknamed Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine, Heat) is murdering women across the Midwest. Believing it takes one to know one, the FBI sends trainee Clarice Starling (Foster, The Accused) to interview a demented prisoner who may provide clues to the killer’s actions. That prisoner is psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins, Nixon), a brilliant, diabolical cannibal who agrees to help Starling only if she’ll feed his morbid curiosity with details of her own complicated life. As their relationship develops, Starling is forced to confront not only her own hidden demons, but also an evil so powerful that she may not have the courage—or strength—to stop it! This terrifying masterpiece co-stars Scott Glenn (The Challenge) and garnered five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director for Jonathan Demme (Philadelphia) and Best Adapted Screenplay for Ted Tally (Before and After), only the third film in history to sweep the these five categories.

I still had not got round to upgrading my Criterion DVD of that to their Blu-ray, so it's great to see Kino doing a UHD (I have to keep the Criterion DVD though as that commentary is an all time favourite). It would be a huge shame if Amazon's buyout of MGM puts and end to MGM licensing out titles to indie labels, especially with their relationship with Kino being particularly on fire right now. Kino's latest contract with MGM was struck as recently as this month, so there's at least still an open window of opportunity until the ink is written and dry on the Amazon deal should things change.

It's also very telling that Criterion had zero interest/foresight to acquire UHD rights to certain titles they've already acquired like Silence of the Lambs when they would have had the opportunity.

So what's the tally of announced Kino UHDs up to now?

1. Eastern Promises*
  2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind*
  3. A Fistful of Dollars (SDR)
  4. For a Few Dollars More (SDR)
  5. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers [1978 version]
  6. Misery
  7. Out of Sight*
  8. The Silence of the Lambs
  9. Touch of Evil*

* Status/release date unknown.

Am I forgetting any? It's curious that it happens to be the four Universal titles above that we're still waiting on final details for.

It also seems like the twelve forthcoming UHDs they promised are all MGM related so that figure would not include those Universal titles they've announced). In which case we now know five of those MGM movies. They apparently have "some" 1950s titles from MGM to come. 12 Angry Men could possibly be one of those (which would be typical as I bought the Criterion Blu on sale a couple of months ago). I've yet to grab Criterion's disc of Some Like it Hot however, so a UHD of that from Kino would be delightful.

I REALLY want them to do Raging Bull. Fargo would be nice too as MGM already have a 4k master of that one (though it's SDR). I wonder if they have acquired Carrie? I've still not picked up the Arrow Blu-ray of that one. West Side Story would be welcome too since MGM already have it in 4k/DV on iTunes and Spielberg's version is coming soon.

17 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Am I forgetting any?

Hard Target.

I'm guessing the biggest reason some of the newly-announced MGM titles are so far ahead of the previously-announced Universal titles are tied to remastering, since MGM seems to have been more proactive in that department than Universal, making it easier to hit the ground running.

That's a good point. Aside from Kino doing the colour timing on the Man with No Name trilogy themselves I think MGM already had masters ready to roll for everything else. That's one reason why I could see Kino doing a UHD of West Side Story. I wonder if they'd do Robocop (assuming Arrow passed on the UHD rights themselves when they acquired rights for a Blu-ray), although, like Fargo, Robocop only seems to have a 4k SDR finish. 

On 6/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Norwegian retail listings have appeared for UHD steelbook releases of the original Dracula, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man and The Wolf Man from Universal.

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/dracula-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/frankenstein-1931-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-invisible-man-1933-den-usynlige-mann-limited-steelbook-edition/

https://www.platekompaniet.no/blu-ray/the-wolf-man-1941-ulvemannen-limited-steelbook-edition/

I can't seem to see any indication of a specific release date. I'd be SO happy if these are happening though.

1931 Dracula is now 4k/HDR on iTunes which adds further fuel to the fire that Classic Monsters are not far off from receiving a UHD disc release as international retail listings have hinted. I wonder if we'd get the Spanish Dracula in 4k on disc too. I'd be so happy if we did (Universal could probably put both on a 100GB disc).