LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

So if the set images are anything to go by, the 'Ultimate' Middle Earth Collection will indeed be missing all of the previously released special features for both trilogies:

4007624-2741700.jpg

0SX6Xwq.jpg

zNSrm2V.jpg

Release date is October 26th.

There's a single bonus disc there in the top left corner, which I can only assume will include an assortment of new special features that were touted last year, as they're not going to fit that, all of the standard def LOTR extras, and all of the HD Hobbit extras onto a single Blu-ray.

I'm glad I held on to the Blu-ray set of LOTR as I will wait for last year's UHD set to get cheaper and just merge the discs from both sets, although that might be a challenge as I'd still need to keep the 1080p discs in the set since Warner couldn't even be bothered to port over the commentaries to the UHDs. I'm on the fence about doing the same for The Hobbit. What I've seen of the LOTR discs looks disappointing, but the Hobbit discs somehow look even worse so I honestly think the Blu-rays of those may suffice, and the special features are of great value even if the value of the films themselves remains up for debate (frustratingly I will have to re-purchase them as I sold the individual special edition releases years ago having foolishly expected eventual UHDs to be a genuine visual upgrade and include all the extras).

44 minutes ago, iainl said:

There’s two discs of special features per film there, no? Isn’t that enough to fit them all on, if you’re using Blu-rays?

In that forthcoming set? No.

31 discs boils down to:

LOTR Theatrical: UHD x3, Blu-ray x3

LOTR Extended UHD x6, Blu-ray x6

Hobbit Theatrical: UHD x3, Blu-ray x3

Hobbit Extended: UHD x3, Blu-ray x3

1x Blu-ray of new bonus features.

LOTR's extras were 3 DVDs (2x appendices + 1x bonus feature length documentary disc) per film in the Blu-ray set, and each Hobbit had 2x 50GB Blu-rays of HD appendices content. Plus audio commentaries on all of the film discs of course (multiple on each LOTR instalment, and just the one for each Hobbit film).

And here's the paper attachment from the back of the box revealing a whopping two new features on that bonus disc:

E-ELWyrVEAUXunU?format=jpg&name=large

Those cast-reunions were pandemic Zoom get togethers last year I think, no? 

Jackson lamented Warner rejecting his desire to produce new special features several years ago, but it's quite amazing how even for the 20th Anniversary they're not willing to do anything more than a hasty cash grab (two years in a row no less). 

On 8/11/2021 at 6:45 PM, Angry the Clown said:

It's a shame their recent announcement of Uncut Gems will not be a UHD as you can stream that in 4K/DV I believe (in the US anyway).

Hmm. It seems Criterion must have thought similarly as their November release of Uncut Gems will now also be getting a UHD:

https://www.criterion.com/films/31917-uncut-gems?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new-releases-available&utm_content=aug-2021

23rd November with Atmos and Dolby Vision.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised they haven't announced a non-ltd edition of Donnie Darko yet. I can't imagine it will be long until they do. Perhaps the disc error issue delayed things. All I want is the discs so I am happy to hold out for a regular release.

I'm being a bit of a cheapskate lately and leaving more and more discs until they show up in sales. There aren't many UHDs I'm dead set on picking up on release this year now I don't think. The Star Trek discs look very pleasing from the screencaps I've seen, but I'd still like to know what the plan is for the remaining films as I think I'd sooner have them all individually on the shelf, or as part of an expanded box set. I'm definitely getting the BFI's disc of The Seventh Seal next month, and if Criterion aren't going to bring some of their UHDs to the UK then I'll be pressed to import those sooner rather than later (hopefully they will bring Kane and Menace II Society to the UK in December to save me the added expense on those two at least). 

I've been the opposite lately. Most my time/money has been on gaming this year but the last few weeks have been pretty heavy on UHD purchases. As I mentioned in the chat last night, I picked up (or it arrived via Amazon) just yesterday:

Star Trek Collection 

The Thing 

Saw Steelbook 

Snyder's Justice League 

and more recently:

Possessor Uncut

Hocus Pocus 

Godzilla vs Kong

Transformers The Movie 

I have on order:

Dune 3 Disc Limited Edition from Arrow

Children of the Corn Limited Edition from Arrow

Silence of the Lambs

Halloween from Shout

Halloween II from Shout

Halloween III from Shout (for my wife cause she loves this dumb ass movie)

Halloween IV from Shout

Shawshank Redemption

Krampus The Naughty Cut

The Addams Family

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Mulholland Drive from Criterion

So yeah, pretty busy on the movie front lately for me. I want to pick Black Widow as well and will likely do so via a Steelbook release at Best Buy next week.

Since the documentary was dropped I've opted to wait for the regular disc only release of Dune. Roger Rabbit I am definitely getting on release. I'd get Unbreakable next month but I watched it not too long ago. Since it's quite fresh in my memory it can wait until it's on sale. Shawshank I know so well I am happy to wait a few months (apparently it looks superb though). If Shout don't screw up Halloween and Halloween II in any way I will be importing those but probably not in time for the end of next month, in which case I might as well defer buying them for a year or so until next Halloween. I really want the Universal Monsters set but it's quite expensive to pre-order at the moment. Addams Family I will definitely import as it's owned by Disney/Fox here so will never get a UK release, and Carlito's Way I will pick up on release too as I love that film and haven't seen it in ages.

I've got the Columbia Classics vol2 set on order, so that was a big investment. I got the Labyrinth re-issue the other week. I've got Second Sight's release of The Babadook on backorder as Amazon priced it very cheap recently (£20!). Hopefully there is stock of the ltd edition remaining to actually get hold of though. Beyond those, regular Blus are stealing my interests more at the moment (some great UK editions of The Sabata trilogy and The Great Silence are coming up, and I might break down and get Arrow's Shaw Bros box set in December. I'd also like to finally pick up Criterion's Agnes Varda set which I would have to import, so I want to see if Amazon do a Criterion sale to compete with Barnes and Noble in November as B&N are no longer as friendly shipping to the UK as they used to be).

I finally arrived at a point where I only want to buy movies I’m excited about.  

Blood for Dracula?  Terminal Island? That Scanner Cop double feature? If they were coming out this time last year, I’m sure I would’ve grabbed them without thinking twice, but I just don’t feel motivated now.

Even something like Wolf of Wall St., Inglourious Basterds, or I Spit on Your Grave — all movies I’ve watched and enjoyed, although “enjoy” isn’t exactly the right word for ISoYG — I just don’t feel an itch to upgrade.  The Shawshank Redemption might be there too…not sure right now.  Universal Classic Monsters will depend on reviews.

Labyrinth and Almost Famous, sure.  Deep Red, without question.  Criterion’s opening UHD salvo.  Even Scream Factory’s onslaught of Halloween sequels, yeah, those are movies that mean a lot to me.  Okay, not 5, but I can’t break myself of completionism that quickly!

I knew my “I’ll buy anything a boutique label puts out in UHD to show my support!” had a shelf life, and I guess it’s in the rear view mirror now.

And part of it is that, after nearly four years in our current place, I finally have permanent, proper movie storage.  The idea is that this big bank of shelves is all I’m allotted for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray, and when it’s full, I can’t get anything new without getting rid of something else.  And it was overflowing immediately, so I’ve had to cull hundreds and hundreds of movies.  (I think the capacity is around 2,700 BDs.) I was already at a point where my interest in buying things out of a sense of obligation or just blindly buying anything that looked compellingly weird was diminishing, but it’s really gone now.

Of titles that’ve been announced, I think Black Widow, Misery, Silence of the Lambs, From Dusk Till Dawn, Scream, The Suicide Squad, the four Criterions, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are my essential UHD pickups.  (Although I’m sure there’ll be more, since the windows between announcement and release are almost non-existent anymore.)

On the Blu-ray side of things, I’m looking at The Naked Spur, The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch, Onibaba, Trick or Treats, High Sierra, the complete Superman: TAS, Josie and the Pussycats, Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, Phantom of the Mall, the huge Shawscope collection…it’s a more eclectic list than the relatively safe UHD list, but those are all titles I feel really good about wanting to have in my collection and stand a good chance of being watched more than once.

I’ve fallen off gaming to a point.  I think more than anything, I’m just not in a place where I want to commit 30-150 hours to any one thing right now.  I’ve been sitting on FF7 Intergrade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions for months but can’t feel motivated to get started.  I keep looking at P5R and AC: Valhalla on sale but the timesink just makes my stomach turn.  I’m sure that’ll change at some point (since I have months’ worth of interesting games coming out in March alone!), but 2021 will not go down as one of my favorite years for gaming.

12 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

And part of it is that, after nearly four years in our current place, I finally have permanent, proper movie storage.  The idea is that this big bank of shelves is all I’m allotted for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray, and when it’s full, I can’t get anything new without getting rid of something else.  And it was overflowing immediately, so I’ve had to cull hundreds and hundreds of movies.  (I think the capacity is around 2,700 BDs.) I was already at a point where my interest in buying things out of a sense of obligation or just blindly buying anything that looked compellingly weird was diminishing, but it’s really gone now.

I’ve fallen off gaming to a point. I think more than anything, I’m just not in a place where I want to commit 30-150 hours to any one thing right now.  I’ve been sitting on FF7 Intergrade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions for months but can’t feel motivated to get started.  I keep looking at P5R and AC: Valhalla on sale but the timesink just makes my stomach turn.  I’m sure that’ll change at some point (since I have months’ worth of interesting games coming out in March alone!), but 2021 will not go down as one of my favorite years for gaming.

Having been met with the same problem I've found only two solutions (beyond selling some discs to make space for films of more value as you're already doing).

1) Build a media server and rip everything to it. Sell discs and/or place them into storage out of sight.

• PRO: Space saving and quite fun to have your entire collection available at the touch of a button via something like Plex!
  • CON: Prohibitively time consuming and expensive to rip 1:1 copies to hard drives for those of us with large collections, and still a pain in the backside knowing what the correct files to rip from a disc are, what subtitle tracks you need to bind to the file, what audio tracks...etc, and how to get Dolby Vision support on the software playback end.

2) What I've actually done for a chunk of my collection this year... Remove the covers from boxes and place them into thin plastic or vinyl Blu-ray/DVD sleeves.

71jqLafYYlL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71vTGaWv5cL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

You can then drop the disc in behind the cover as shown in the photograph or, as I do to ensure the disc's protection, buy ultra slim jewel cases, put the discs in those and slip them into the plastic sleeve behind the folded cover art. I still find that there's room for most booklets too. You can then sell the original plastic cases on eBay, or just box them away into storage in the hope of someday owning a mansion or doing a Guillermo del Toro and owning a second house entirely dedicated to all the stuff you accumulate. :) 

• PRO: Space saving! Even with a slim jewel case inserted into a sleeve I now get around 3 to 4 films for every single Blu-ray case on the shelf (at least compared to the typical fatter UK/European cases). 
  • CON: Quite expensive to buy up a load of sleeves and jewel cases for those with larger collections. I was intending to do it for all but my 4k discs and boutique label titles, however for the time being I have opted to do it only when necessary to give myself back some shelf space for new purchases.

The sleeves pictured are ones I buy from Amazon UK but I know there will be something similar in the US. Worth noting that scanvo cases, e.g the one's Criterion use, have taller covers so would be better off in DVD sized plastic sleeves rather than Blu-ray ones.

The idea had been lingering in the back of my mind after watching this video of someone's collection that I first saw years ago.

At around 5mins 20s you'll see what his approach is with re-packaging some of his discs. I haven't got anything in drawers like that but if I moved it's something I'd consider as while I can actually bend the spines back on the shelf to know what the film is, I think being able to see the covers face on and scan through a collection as shown in the video is a nicer solution (it kind of resembles thumbing through someone's prized comic book collection in a way). 

That video is from 2013, but this is who he got his sleeves from: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/458/dvd-collection-protection-supplies

They look better for just slipping a disc into safely compared the ones I have (I went the ultra slim jewel case route as I didn't want any pressure to risk the back of a disc sticking to the back of the plastic sleeve which I know can happen if the quality of the sleeve itself is not the best. Cheaper printed covers may also stick to plastic sleeves over time too, and I believe in those cases the guy recommended cutting a rectangle of plastic from the actual DVD/Blu-ray case, and placing that in front of the cover art before sliding it into the sleeve).

I wonder what his disc collection looks like eight years later?

12 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

On the Blu-ray side of things, I’m looking at The Naked Spur, The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch, Onibaba, Trick or Treats, High Sierra, the complete Superman: TAS, Josie and the Pussycats, Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, Phantom of the Mall, the huge Shawscope collection…it’s a more eclectic list than the relatively safe UHD list, but those are all titles I feel really good about wanting to have in my collection and stand a good chance of being watched more than once.

My vice is that I buy a lot of films beyond those with personal value. I can't help it. Whether it's films I downright adore, films with historical value, childhood sentimentality (no matter how awful), films as reference material.... It's very hard for me to conceive of cutting my purchases down to the bare essentials like a normal human being would. :)  As ever, my movie buying habits and my other expensive obsession (collecting monographs) comes before budgeting for gaming, but thank goodness for Game Pass.

One thing I rarely break down and buy these days are collector's editions. I was never big on them anyway due to storage space concerns but it's rare that I will not just sit and wait for a re-packaged standard edition later down the line. Unless there is something of serious value exclusive to a collector's edition then I will wait for a cheaper repackaged standard release, which is why I've yet to buy Donnie Darko, Dune or True Romance. In instances where a collector's edition is cheap though, I will occasionally bite (I grabbed the Babadook on a whim as it was basically half price, though again I am not 100% certain I am guaranteed a copy as it's out of stock and quite possibly now out of print. If not and Amazon refund me then so be it and I will wait for a standard edition release). I was quite a big steelbook fan about six or seven years ago, notably for the ones Eureka used to do here but they stopped and I've rarely bought any since outside of Arrow's discs for Robocop and The Thing. Having bought the Labyrinth re-issue I am now left wondering what to do with the gorgeous UHD steelbook I have of the original release though. It makes no sense to keep both, but it's so nice, and it was my first UHD purchase. I expect common sense to prevail in time and I'll end up putting it on eBay however (the going rate for the steelbook will pay for double dipping on the recent re-issue, and probably with some extra money to spare). Of course, now I started re-packaging my discs anything in my collection that isn't in a standard amaray or scanvo case is kind of an annoyance. 

I've definitely warmed more to iTunes purchases though, but remain picky about precisely what titles I'm willing to "own" as a download/stream. 4k itunes is generally pretty good video quality and one would hope it can only improve further with time and technological advancements. HD can be hit or miss though and I hope they will someday shift to transcoding HD as h.265 or AV1 to help bump up the bitrates for ore challenging material. I don't even know if streaming is on par with DVD for audio quality. If it is, then that's nothing to scoff at. I'm not really a lossless snob when it comes to movies (but will always welcome the best quality available naturally). If I still had 5.1 I might be even more inclined to settle for streaming purchases, but without it I have no way of judging the sound quality for myself.

Itunes, or any digital purchasing platform for film/tv content for that matter, could be so much more sophisticated. There's a gap in the market at a consumer level that's otherwise only being catered for by Kaleidescape (which is limited to the wealthier people who can afford it). 

My physical movie collection is a mere shadow of what it once was. It's pretty much just my must own films on 4K Blu-Ray that if the Internet went down, I would need to have to watch.  I think Black Widow will be the first film I have bought on disc this year.  I do still have a bunch of my fav  TV shows on DVD, as well as a bunch  that are not available on Blu-Ray or streaming for some reason. 

How was the audio? Some people don't seem happy with the new mix claiming that it buries music and muffles sound effects at times (and the original isn't included because Universal).

There are screencaps here:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=16408&d2=11006&c=4380

So Universal didn't use Arrow's 4k scan but did their own as the framing is a little different with the Universal being cropped in some places, but interestingly the cropping is consistent with all prior DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD releases that Universal had done themselves. The most obvious framing difference is in this shot https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=16408&d2=11006&s1=176493&s2=107722&i=14&l=0 where the Arrow has more information in the frame, but the detail in the UHD is lovely and without a push toward magenta in the colour.

Criterion's release of The Red Shoes arrives on Dec 14th:

• In the 4K UHD edition: 4K digital transfer from the 2009 restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • In the Blu-ray and DVD editions: High-definition digital transfer from the 2009 restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Introductory restoration demonstration with filmmaker Martin Scorsese
  • Audio commentary from 1994 by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with actors Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale, and Scorsese
  • Profile of “The Red Shoes,” a 2000 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with members of the production team
  • Interview with director Michael Powell’s widow, editor Thelma Schoonmaker Powell, from the 2009 Cannes Film Festival
  • Audio recordings from 1994 of actor Jeremy Irons reading excerpts from Powell and screenwriter Emeric Pressburger’s novelization of The Red Shoes and the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale “The Red Shoes”
  • Collection of rare publicity stills and behind-the-scenes photos
  • Gallery of memorabilia from Scorsese’s collection
  • The “Red Shoes” Sketches, a 1948 animated film of Hein Heckroth’s painted storyboards, with the Red Shoes ballet as an alternate angle
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by critic David Ehrenstein and a description of the restoration by UCLA film archivist Robert Gitt

https://www.criterion.com/films/233-the-red-shoes

Cover Art and specs for the forthcoming releases of Road Warrior, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (featuring new Atmos mixes) and The Mad Max Anthology. All coming on Nov 2nd in the US:

81byLgoi3lL._SL1500_.jpg

81mLMnRXf8L._SL1500_.jpg

814HAiqHA-L._SL1500_.jpg

81Gq+NaZtUL._SL1500_.jpg

Anthology 4 film box set:

71zFr+st4UL._SL1500_.jpg

81H3qkOBr3L._SL1500_.jpg

A few things to note there. As mentioned before, in North America this will be the only way to get the Warner disc of Mad Max as outside of the set in the US Kino of course acquired the rights from MGM. Internationally, where Warner own all four movies, Mad Max will get an individual release from them (and I believe the box set is also getting an international release). The specs indicate that the mono audio is included with the first film, and hopefully that's the Australian mono and not the US mono. The Dolby Vision tag on the back probably only relates to the first movie too since the rear artwork for Road Warrior and Thunderdome do not have the DV logo, and it's hard to imagine they would have revisited Fury Road for the box set.

The box set, in the US at least, is also UHD only, so all the Fury Road extras will also be missing. It'll be interesting to see if a UK set includes BDs.

Honestly if you want the most special features then I'd say the best thing to do is to buy the Kino edition of the first film, and the individual Warner discs of the sequels. 

Worth noting that it's also the only home video master Deakins has approved (he hated the HD/Blu-ray editions), so there's double the reason lovers of the film should not hesitate to upgrade. It's also 1.85:1 as it should be now too, rather than 1.78:1. I'm glad to see that practice that plagued many DVD and blu-ray releases of 1.85:1 films die a death (Warner were one of the greatest offenders of opening up 1.85:1 to 16:9 in the past but seem to be making amends these days on some, though still not all, relevant titles).

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=16446&d2=16221&s1=177161&s2=173329&i=9&l=0&a=1