LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Joss Whedon’s touch is everywhere in JL though. Keep in mind that he was tasked with finishing the movie after Snyder bowed out due to family issues. The refocus on Wonder Woman and the lighter more effective tone is definitely Whedon. Again, there are no doubt script issues and some of the heroes in question are forgettable but it comes together a lot better than you’d think.

I had every expectation that it would be garbage after BvS. It’s not Winter Soldier or Civil War but it’s not Green Lantern either.;)

16 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I had every expectation that it would be garbage after BvS.

Same here.  I even watched all the trailers, fully expecting the worst.  And I haven’t watched a trailer for a movie I’ve wanted to see since Doctor Strange.

To keep this from derailing any further, I recently watched Blade Runner and 2049 in 4K.

Didn’t care for the original (blasphemy, I know) but it sure looked great for a 35 year old movie.  But 2049 looked glorious in 4K HDR.  Damn good movie too.  And the surround and bass?  *drool*

I’d recommend it. It’s a dense film who’s underlying themes tend to get lost in the razzle dazzle of its extraordinary visuals for first time viewers. There’s plenty of layers to peel back and sift through. It’s unfortunate that the Deckard/Rachel relationship doesn’t really work. In fact, the sequel does more for it in one scene than the entirety of the first movie.:)

So I tried both the digital version (iTunes via Apple TV 4K) and the UHD (via Oppo UDP-203) and with the Dolby Vision, I prefer the digital copy.

The UHD is great, mind you, but I'm surprised by my preference for digital this time around! It's likely the Dolby Vision alone, but it really helps those dark scenes, of which there are many in this movie. Mind you, too, this was on a 2017 LG OLED.

If I could take the sound from the UHD and the video from the Digital, I'd be a happy man. For 3 hours at least.

Interestingly, while both ended up being HDR10 presentations in the end, a handful with both versions have said the international Sony disc nevertheless exhibits more shadow detail than the Warner disc.

The Warner and Sony editions definitely seem to be different masters and encodes as others have said the Sony version also retains more of the camera sensor noise and doesn’t exhibit minor banding as the Warner encode supposedly does, while the Warner disc instead crushes blacks to give the look a bit of a contrast boost (which actually conflicts with Deakins’ preference as in interviews he has spoke of not wanting inky blacks).

The Warner disc has a 10,000nit container vs 4000 on the Sony, however the film apparently only hits peaks of around 181nits on the Warner disc (which sounds about right for Deakins and his self confessed conservative approach to HDR. Sicario’s UHD is similar, and 181 is only a smidge more than theatrical HDR can display effectively making both faithful to the theatrical grade), so not even OLEDs have to tone map the HDR with this one and can display it natively (so really any benefit of DV on this would likely have been presentation of a 12bit downconversion).

The Dolby Vision master would be a seperate grade to the HDR10 master which might explain why you’re seeing more shadow detail in the stream as it sounds like the black levels are more like those on the Sony disc and Warner opted to adjust the black levels on their UHD for some reason.

Gladiator is beginning to show up in listings from several UK and European retailers again, this time for March-May timeframe (varies by retailer). The international release would be from Universal, and the domestic US release via Paramount, though both have a distribution relationship so I would imagine they'd share all the master elements between them and the discs might end up being identical. Not a MASSIVE fan of the movie but the properly remastered blu-ray was beautiful, so this release should look pretty special.

Also showing up via some European retailers is uh... this...

9X0Bb1sL.jpg

If memory serves, that would actually be the first catalogue title Sony will have put out that wasn't cashing in on an anniversary or a sequel so that's at least a good sign that they may finally be breaking away from needing an excuse to release certain catalogue content (though why they'd go for this so soon is anyone's guess).

There were initial listings in Europe for a release last year but it got pulled. I wonder if Scott's busy schedule had anything to do with a delay as you'd imagine he'd want to oversee an HDR pass on the movie (ideally with John Mathieson), and I guess the disc would get an Atmos/DTS-X upgrade that he might want to approve too. 

The properly remastered Blu-ray of Gladiator came from a 4k master and originated from a 6k scan so, again, it really should be a terrific looking disc whenever it does come out.

I really hope we get a 20th Anniversary Saving Private Ryan this year (I only mention it as, like Gladiator, it would involve Paramount again, and it too was scanned at 6k and finished in 4k ahead of its Blu-ray release). I've already sold my Blu-ray copy in the blind hope this will happen. :) 

Fox will release animated movie Ferdinand on 13th March in the US (w/Dolby Atmos).

All three Pitch Perfect movies have been announced for US release on 20th March from Universal (w/DTS-X). 

Remember European listings had the first two Pitch Perfect catalogue releases down last year along with Mamma Mia, Ridley Scott's Robin Hood and Big Lebowski, so those preliminary listings are looking stronger and stronger (you'd have to imagine Robin Hood would be timed for whenever Gladiator hits the shelves for a Scott/Crowe cash in).

We surely can't be far off from some Jurassic Park announcements.

On 09/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, Romier S said:

Going back to this, I've ordered a cheapie remote which should arrive over the weekend. I thought it best to get one ahead of the UK release of Blade Runner 2049 which I suspect might be a dimming nightmare. 

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Going back to this, I've ordered a cheapie remote which should arrive over the weekend. I thought it best to get one ahead of the UK release of Blade Runner 2049 which I suspect might be a dimming nightmare. 

Good to hear. I’ve watched a ton of content since I made the change with no issues thus far. *knock on wood*

Ive seen no dimming whatsoever since then.

On 26/01/2018 at 3:17 AM, Romier S said:

Good to hear. I’ve watched a ton of content since I made the change with no issues thus far. *knock on wood*

Ive seen no dimming whatsoever since then.

Got the remote. Have set it up to access both the EZ-Adjust and the In-Start service menus. The latter I want to dig into sub-brightness adjustment as a lot of self-calibrators have found it very useful for improving the near black/above black performance on the 6 series. Not sure when I will get around to doing that, as I will want to calibrate with my meter from scratch (turning off the dimming will really help with the test pattern readings).

A usually reliable European retailer known for its early listings of titles has 2001 A Space Odyssey curently penciled in for April. :)

http://cdon.se/film/2001%3a_a_space_odyssey_(4k_ultra_hd_%2b_blu-ray)-42850301

Amazon France is showing a release date for Grease on 24th of April too. 

OPEN THE CATALOGUE FLOODGATES, DAMN IT!

I picked up the Groundhog Day UHD at Best Buy. It’s a wonderful disc. Outside of the opening scene which is a bit grain heavy, the HDR pass really brings the transfer alive. Daylight scenes in particular really pop and the expanded color gamut really gives what is an intentionally drab looking film an impressive showing. Black levels are spot on and the detail here is a noticeable jump from the previous BD. There’s a wonderful thin film of grain throughout that gives the transfer a beautiful appearance.

Sony continue to kill it with their catalog releases. I just don’t get why this is a B.B. exclusive is all.

I picked up the Groundhog Day UHD at Best Buy. It’s a wonderful disc. Outside of the opening scene which is a bit grain heavy, the HDR pass really brings the transfer alive. Daylight scenes in particular really pop and the expanded color gamut really gives what is an intentionally drab looking film an impressive showing. Black levels are spot on and the detail here is a noticeable jump from the previous BD. There’s a wonderful thin film of grain throughout that gives the transfer a beautiful appearance.

Sony continue to kill it with their catalog releases. I just don’t get why this is a B.B. exclusive is all.