LCVG

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Expecting the disc from the US any day now. It's supposed to be spectacular (wish I could experience the Atmos mix). Paramount are not using stacker cases for this, Braveheart or Gladiator either. They have an internal hinged tray. I hate those stacked cases Disney have been using for their three-disc releases in the US (all UK releases by design come in slightly thicker cases regardless of studio, so we always have internal trays for multi-disc releases here. As far as I know these Paramount discs are still the thinner US style cases, despite the addition of the tray. Tempting to find a dealer selling those so I can replace the cases for Last Jedi, Coco...etc.). 

Screenshot comparisons:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11781&d2=11780&c=4643

Some more here too:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113281

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113285

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113278

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/113280

Once upon a time I was delighted with the grain retention of the Blu, but it's a clumpy mess compared to what we're getting now! Astonishing. Closest to owning a film print that we could ever hope to own.

I can't tell if they have gone back to the scanned elements done years ago ahead of the Blu-ray (which was a 6k scan and a 4k finish), or whether they've done the whole thing over. Either way you can see they've done a fresh, and very good, dirt/scratch removal pass on the image for the UHD. The UHD is also 1.78:1 vs 1.85:1 of the Blu, hence the tiny addition of vertical information in the frames.

Early word on Braveheart is also very exciting. This month's winning releases will surely belong to Paramount (makes the troubled Grease restoration all the more frustrating). I'm going to be really intrigued to see if they've bettered Universal's international disc of Gladiator in any way.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, Eldorado said:

I got tired of waiting for IT to go on any type of sale, AT ALL.  Bought a copy for $20 shipped off Ebay minus the digital code.  Looking forward to that one.

So my timing is fucking impeccable. Any one want to guess what went on sale at Best Buy for $20 this week?

Bueller?  Bueller?

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

So my timing is fucking impeccable. Any one want to guess what went on sale at Best Buy for $20 this week?

Bueller?  Bueller?

Don't forget they are double dipping on IT at some point (director's cut). The director hinted it would be coming this year but I am beginning to wonder if they might in fact hold it back until closer to the sequel. I've been resisting picking up the existing release though. 

Apparently's Warner's press website now has 2001 down for 2nd of October.

Here's the back cover:

1000648025_BRDBKO_cd1d729b.jpg

So, unless it changes, extras are the same as the existing Blu. From the specs the Blu now has DTS-HD MA which would at least suggest it will have been re-authored as the existing version has PCM (hopefully it will come from the new master as well though. If they're bothering to make an all new Blu-ray for the Matrix included with the UHD then it'd be puzzling if they didn't bother for this too). No Dolby Vision logo, but it may still get it. 

I was listening to an interview with Kubrick's right hand man, Leon Vitali, the other day and he spoke of his involvement colour timing the 70mm Nolan release, and also spoke about the UHD which he seemed to imply is being treated a little differently with more modern digital colour timing tools to be even more accurate which is pleasing to hear. I'm happy with Nolan pushing a purist thing for these new 70mm prints, but it really deserves a more detailed and modern restoration for 4k cinema and home release and posterity, so it's good to hear it is apparently getting that treatment. 

I'll be checking the Seattle Cinerama website for when it plays here, as there a lot of hardcore Sci-Fi fans locally and these shows always sell out fast.  

Any reviews here on Saving Private Ryan yet?  On the fence about buying it, because I really don't watch it that often, but it's still tempting.  Probably be happy with Die Hard for now.

19 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Artwork for Quick and the Dead.

91e393FvggL._SL1500_.jpg

Such a random title from Sony, but nevertheless a good sign that they are breaking away from needing an anniversary or sequel as an excuse to dip into their catalogue.

This now has a formal announcement and will be released on 17th of July. It will have a trailer and seven deleted scenes as extras on the UHD disc. 

Seen some screenshots from Die Hard and it looks very pleasing indeed, most notably on the colour front. There's just too much to buy this month, however, so I'm planning to get it later in the year. It should not take long to show up in regular 2 for £30 UHD deals here. Just wish Fox had bothered to do 2 and With a Vengeance. All three had their 4k masters done five years ago, damn it. 

Next weekend should be crazy as I'd hope to have Braveheart and Gladiator from the US by then (they shipped out to me on Wednesday), and Jurassic Park and Lost World should definitely be with me for then too as Zoom will typically deliver ahead of release. 

Really hope we get Godfather, Godfather II and Titanic from Paramount before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

The Incredibles will have a new Atmos mix since Disney's own web store mentions immersive audio.

Dolby was using a scene from The Incredibles to demonstrate Atmos back in 2012.  I wonder if they tackled the mix for the entire movie back then, or if just that single scene was Atmos-ified and the remainder of the movie was updated more recently.

Good question. It will be interesting to see if The Avengers gets Atmos having not had it theatrically (Ultron did). Could be that Disney are looking to do immersive mixes on everything like Sony. That's good, the downside being they keep doing this dynamic range compression, and historically they've rarely favoured including original audio mixes where appropriate which would bug me if/when they dig really deep into their catalogue. Meanwhile Fox's Die Hard appears to have the original stereo mix as an option on the UHD (I SO hope Universal's eventual disc of Jaws retains the mono as an option).

I'll be curious to see if Paramount remix the first four Mission Impossible films for Atmos. Ghost Protocol had a few scenes mixed by Dolby for an Atmos demo years ago. Rogue Nation had Atmos theatrically and on Blu, so that will definitely carry over. 

Incredibles date actually seems to be 12th of June. No the 5th. Will amend my earlier post.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:25 AM, Jordan_E said:

Any reviews here on Saving Private Ryan yet?  On the fence about buying it, because I really don't watch it that often, but it's still tempting.  Probably be happy with Die Hard for now.

It's the best presentation of the movie so far. It had been years here as well.

The gritty grain is retained wonderfully without blotchy compression artifacts. The atmost mix in all the battle scenes is very well done - very enveloping middle of the action mix. 

It's $20 on Amazon -  very worth it for the price.