LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Best Buy has Buy 1 get 1 50% off on all UHD this week. Grabbing Pacific Rim for sure. Not sure on my 2nd. May go with Ghostbusters or X-men 1st Class.

-Dean-

You guys have a good deal available via Fox Connect until tonight too. Using the code UHD2 will get you two movies for $23 each, UHD3 will get you three for $20 each and UHD4 gets you four for $17.99 each.

https://www.foxconnect.com/#new_releases

No such deals here in the UK of course (because fuck the UK). 

Underworld and Resident Evil Afterlife have been announced for Dec and January respectively. Keep those classics coming, Sony.

In better Sony news, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon apparently has the original theatrical subtitles which is a first in the fifteen years the film has existed on home video. 

I jumped on a mispriced copy of Creed the other day for a mere £6.99 and received shipping notification yesterday so I'm quite impressed that appears to have been honoured since Warner seem to think asking £24.99 for both new and catalogue releases is fair here. That'd make my 2nd UHD purchase. 

I'm amazed that despite having an utterly pitiful selection of Blu releases (half a shelf unit, with seven times as much for DVD) our local Tesco had both Warcraft and The Revenant on uHD for £20 each.

Mad Max Fury Road arrives tomorrow for me. Eager to get a viewing in on that at 4K HDR. I'm heading over to Best Buy later this afternoon to do some UHD shopping. Any recommendations for quality discs (that aren't shit movies)?

I currently own:

Warcraft

Pacific Rim

Mad Max

Ghostbusters 2016

I'd like to get the original Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 ASAP.

By the way, Ghostbusters 2016 is a fantastic 4K HDR disc. Blown away by the clarity, color reproduction and detail on the disc with the only complaint being some minor aliasing here and there. A noticeable step up from the 1080p BD.

I recently watched X-Men Apocalypse and thought it was decent. I've heard the UHD disc is amazing.

Deadpool, The Martian: Extended Cut, Ghostbuster, Ghostbusters 2, Star Trek Into Darkness, Kingsmen have made me happy to have purchased them. :)

-Dean-

Universal will be digging deep into their vast catalogue and apparently release Battleship in January.....

I say again..... Battleship.

Universal, you sank my enthusiasm!  

• Like 1

What HDMI cables is everyone using from UHD Blu Ray to 4K TV? Anyone having issues with non certified 18Gbps cables?

When I upgraded to 4K - I picked up a couple of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL9PWRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they seem to be working out just fine. Granted, the only true UHD source I have right now is the Samsung UHD player (8500) - but no issues with the other cables. Decided just to do swap all of my cables (4) since that way as I upgrade to a PS4 Pro / Scorpio / come-what-may - I should be set. Turns out one of the cables I picked up appeared to be bad out of the box - but emailed them and without question sent a replacement via 2 day. Overall happy

What HDMI cables is everyone using from UHD Blu Ray to 4K TV? Anyone having issues with non certified 18Gbps cables?

http://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/certified-premium-hdmi-cables

If you're doing 4K/HDR you want to make sure you're using HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps) for best possible performance (previous high speed cables at 1.4 will work for $k @24fps. No 4K 50/60) . Premium certified if possible as well (yes its worth it as my company just had to go through certification for our HDMI products).

Those will cost you 4-5 bucks for a 6ft and a little more for longer. I have my entire HT run with those wires at the moment. No issues whatsoever.

http://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/certified-premium-hdmi-cables

If you're doing 4K/HDR you want to make sure you're using 18Gbps for best performance. Premium certified if possible. 

Those will cost you 4-5 bucks for a 6ft and a little more for longer. I have my entire HT run with those wires at the moment. No issues whatsoever.

Oddly enough that's exactly what I purchased, i needed an extra HDMI cable and figured I'd give it a shot for the price.

Some (the last four) of the Harry Potter films have cropped up as early listings at a German retailer. They're penciled in for March, so that might mean Warner are timing them to coincide with the UHD of Fantastic Beasts. That's encouraging if they're looking to get those out sooner rather than later. 

That's going to be true of more than half UHD discs ever released though. Accept it. :) (Fantastic Beasts will be an upscale too). The Potters would benefit from better compression I'd wager. Especially the early ones that shared HD DVD releases.

They're only doing one of them (Order of the Phoenix) that had an HD-DVD, mind you; skipping the movies that most need a new transfer. Goblet of Fire in particular shows a lot of trouble fitting into its HD-DVD space (Azkabhan is a lot shorter, and the Chris Colombus ones are primarily hampered with terrible colour timing choices that bleach out a lot of fine detail anyway).