LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

The two Thor discs are getting a UK release in September, a little later than the US. As well as individual releases, however, we are also getting a box set to match the Cap and Iron Man trilogy sets. 

Wow. Ang Lee's Hulk looks just as good as I had hoped:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13286&d2=13285&c=5206

Still no UK date for this. Will import if need be as I'm one of the five people who is fond of the film. 

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and World's End now has a UK box set confirmed by the British Association of Screen Entertainment for the 9th of September. US date is Apparently the 10th. 

247543_large.jpg?t=1562790216

Just looking at the first page it seems no UHD's are on sale that are actually less expensive than they have been in past sales/deals.  What a crock.

edit:  You have to add to the cart then you get 20% off at checkout.  Weird.  

Still not a lot to choose from, at least of things I want vs what I already have.

This Disney/Amazon thing is strange. Amazon has the Iron man/Thor movies up for preorder in 4k, but not Endgame. Maybe they changed their policy for catalog titles. 

Universal's forthcoming Secret Life of Pets 2 disc is looking like their first with HDR 10+ (Dolby Vision also included).

TSHqleb.jpg

Meanwhile, while not stipulated on the back of the box, Universal's press details for the Cornetto Trilogy also note that they will have both HDR 10 + and Dolby Vision. We'll have to wait until release to see which is accurate as if you observe the strip of individual disc specs on the back only HDR 10+ is noted, whereas on Pets the same specs strip has HDR 10/Dolby Vision/HDR10+ written in.

TheWorldsEndHotFuzzShaunOfTheDeadTrilogy

TheWorldsEndHotFuzzShaunOfTheDeadTrilogy

Pleased to see all of the commentaries included on the UHD discs.

Dark Phoenix is the first Disneyfication of Fox packaging that we've seen. I wonder if the disc specs will synch up to Disney's standards too (if Fox Home Entertainment still has any autonomy it should be an HDR10+ disc).

4iuqPcj.jpg

Warner have announced Godzilla: King of the Monsters for August 27th:

“Godzilla: King of the Monsters” 4K UHD Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD Special Edition contain the following special features:

Commentary by Director
Godzilla: Nature’s Fearsome Guardian
Mothra: Queen of the Monsters
King Ghidorah: The Living Extinction Machine
Rodan: Airborne God of Fire
Godzilla 2.0
Making Morthra
Creating Ghidorah
Reimagining Rodan
The Yunnan Temple
Castle Bravo
The Antarctic Base
The Isla de Mara Volcano
The Undersea Lair
Millie Bobby Brown: Force of Nature
Monster Tech: Monarch Joins the Fight
Monsters Are Real
Welcome to the Monsterverse
Deleted Scenes

Unless I've missed something this will be their first HDR 10+ disc (also features Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos).

883929646548_liveaction-godzilla-king-of

No sign of the 2014 film to accompany it strangely.

Strange how this is getting both DV and HDR10+ but Detective Pikachu, out a couple of weeks earlier and surely just as much an HDR feast is just vanilla HDR10. It'll be interesting to see how random Warner are with discs that follow Godzilla.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Dark Phoenix is the first Disneyfication of Fox packaging that we've seen. I wonder if the disc specs will synch up to Disney's standards too (if Fox Home Entertainment still has any autonomy it should be an HDR10+ disc).

4iuqPcj.jpg

Dark Phoenix now has a Sept 17th release date for the US.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and Digital HD Special Features:
Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker*: 
Edwards Air Force Base
Charles Returns Home
Mission Prep
Beast MIA
Charles Says Goodbye
Rise of the Phoenix: The Making of Dark Phoenix (5-Part Documentary)
Scene Breakdown: The 5th Avenue Sequence**
How to Fly Your Jet to Space with Beast
Audio Commentary by Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker
     *Commentary available on Blu-ray, iTunes Extras and Movies Anywhere only 
     **Available on Digital only 

I still can't find any HDR specs. If it's got HDR 10+ then, again, it would be an indication that Fox still have some control. If it's just HDR 10 (and if the Atmos track is Disneyfied) then we'll know things have changed. Likewise if it doesn't get a 4k iTunes release, then... 😬

Lionsgate have two Stallone releases coming in September. The 2009 Rambo has now been dated for September 3rd feat Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (both cuts of the movie appear to be included), and then 1989's Lock Up gets a UHD on September 10th (with Dolby vision).

Meanwhile Sony have dated the 2000 version of Charlies Angels for October 22nd. There's no release announcement for Full Throttle.

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Dark Phoenix iTunes preorder shows not as 4k

It got Disney’d?

Oh no. Now I'm going to start fearing them taking 4k off titles that already have it, and I guess my Fight Club is never getting a free upgrade (as if there is a world where I wouldn't buy that disc.)

27 minutes ago, iainl said:

Oh no. Now I'm going to start fearing them taking 4k off titles that already have it, and I guess my Fight Club is never getting a free upgrade (as if there is a world where I wouldn't buy that disc.)

I doubt we’ll ever see the disc under Disney either. While there were foreign listings for a 20th Anniversary UHD they’ve since vanished so I assume the disc is dead.

We really need to see how this plays out. Some reports suggest Dark Phoenix has HDR10+ but, as I wrote some weeks ago, discs get thrown together so early that this had potential to be the first 100% Disney assembled disc or one of, if not the, last Fox titles mastered to their own standards ahead of the Disney take over. Packaging changes, and no 4k iTunes would be easier to implement more quickly under Mouse rules. I also haven’t seen who is listed as distributor of the disc (Fox or Disney). 

I’m not sure what the next likely Fox disc would be after X Men. Anyone know? Doesn’t look like they have any new release that could potentially get a UHD disc now until Ad Astra, which would probably come out in Dec/Jan. Their slate for any catalogue 1080 Blus looks dead too.

It’ll be interesting to see if those Craig 007 discs still happen and what the specs are, and indeed if that anniversary Abyss happens (if Disney are now in charge of Fox’s home video scheduling then they may still do The Abyss to keep Cameron sweet if he requests it).

It’s been revealed at Comic Con that Paramount are interested in doing a 4k restoration of the Star Trek TMP Director’s Cut.

This is good news but unfortunate that it is being considered so late in its anniversary year, making a 2019 disc release unlikely. 

Encouraging nevertheless they Paramount were in fact looking to do a theatrical cut re-release this year until the producers of the Director’s Cut DVD approached then to propose a 4k assembly of that instead.

The article is worth reading. The producer of the Director’s Cut made the announcement at SDCC, and the vfx supervisor also provided information about where talks are at. So far Paramount has not given the green light to proceed but it sounds like this could happen.

That mighty chunk of Pixar catalogue titles (Brave, Cars, Cars 2, Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, The Good Dinosaur, Inside Out and Ratatouille) looks to be dropping on the 10th of September in the US.

• Like 2

Damn!  Might have to make some extra cash.  Can i rent out Keith’s spot on the forum?

• Haha 1

As if that glut of Pixar discs wasn't enough for the 10th of September, Disney have have formally announced both 1992 and 2019 versions of Aladdin for the same date.

6360040_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1

BONUS FEATURES:

Two Ways To Watch Including Sing-Along Edition
Genie Outtakes
Aladdin On Aladdin
Digital Exclusive – Drawing Genie
Let’s Not Be Too Hasty: The Voices Of Aladdin
Classic Bonus

242276_front.jpg

BONUS FEATURES:

A Friend Like Genie
Aladdin’s Video Journal: A New Fantastic Point Of View
Deleted Song - “Desert Moon”
Digital Exclusive – “Speechless”: Creating A New Song For Jasmine
Guy Ritchie: A Cinematic Genie
Deleted Scenes
Bloopers
And More!

Paramount will release Rocketman on the 27th August in the US (with Dolby Vision and Atmos). 

242969_large.jpg?t=1563862426

BONUS FEATURES:

• · Extended Musical Numbers:
    • Introduction by Dexter Fletcher
    • The Bitch Is Back
    • Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
    • Breaking Down the Walls of Heartache
    • Honky Cat
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes:
    • Introduction by Dexter Fletcher
    • I Love Rock And Roll
    • You've Got to Kill the Person You Were Born To Be
    • Arabella
    • Elton in the Gas Oven
    • Stylish Boots
    • You're Not the First Closet Queer with a Mummy Complex
    • The Blood Test
    • The Heart Attack
    • The Launderette
    • Do You Want Anything?
  • It's Going to Be a Wild Ride: Creative Vision
  • Becoming Elton John: Taron's Transformation
  • Larger Than Life: Production Design & Costuming
  • Full Tilt: Staging the Musical Numbers
  • Music Reimagined: The Studio Sessions - Behind the scenes in the recording studio with Taron & Elton
  • ROCKETMAN Lyric Companion: Sing-Along with Select Songs (English only):
    • The Bitch Is Back
    • I Want Love
    • Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
    • Your Song
    • Crocodile Rock
    • Tiny Dancer
    • Honky Cat
    • Rocket Man
    • Bennie and the Jets
    • Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
    • Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
    • Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    • I'm Still Standing
  • ROCKETMAN Jukebox: Jump Straight to the Music

Update on The Dark Phoenix digital on iTunes. The preorder now shows as 4k.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Update on The Dark Phoenix digital on iTunes. The preorder now shows as 4k.

That’s good. Not that I’m gonna buy it but I don’t want Disney not releasing 4K stuff on iTunes. 

7 hours ago, kelley said:

That’s good. Not that I’m gonna buy it but I don’t want Disney not releasing 4K stuff on iTunes. 

I'm assuming the only reason they still refuse is down to Apple's free upgrades for previous HD purchases? I see they are charging $25 for 4k titles on Google Play now. I was wondering if Apple might offer an opt out to Disney and allow them to list 4k titles on iTunes separately, but if you open that door to one studio then others are likely going to walk through it too. 

It's frustrating that X-men is probably one of the last Fox discs of the year as we're going to need some more to know whether Dark Phoenix is the product of Fox with packaging changes applied during the transition period, or whether Fox does still have autonomy to release what they want, how they want, in future. Unless they announce any catalogue titles like The Abyss then we might not see another Fox disc until Ad Astra which I wouldn't expect on UHD until January. Those 007 discs might still happen, but presumably MGM can still control the terms there (and besides, they're already 4k on iTunes, just needing HDR upgrades, where MGM distribute their catalogue themselves).

Their titles have been 4k for $25 on Vudu for a long time now. So it’s a two issue thing for Disney. iTunes is $20 for titles, and the free upgrade for people who own it.

John Wick 3: The Wikcening adds to a bloated September with a release on the 10th in the US (16th for UK).

This is a Lionsgate disc with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

10943_tn.jpg

Bonus Features:

• “Parabellum: Legacy of the High Table” Featurette
  • “Excommunicado” Featurette
  • “Check Your Sights” Featurette
  • “Saddle Up Wick” Featurette
  • “Bikes, Blades, Bridges, and Bits” Featurette
  • “Continental in the Desert” Featurette
  • “Dog Fu” Featurette
  • “House of Transparency” Featurette
  • “Shot by Shot” Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer #1
  • Theatrical Trailer #2
  • John Wick Hex Game Trailer
  • “Behind the Scenes of John Wick Hex” Featurette

Men in Black International from Sony is September (for the US) too, as is Malifcent from Disney. Did Disney buy stock in the disc replication house in preparation for September or something? In the US they have eleven titles slated for release that month. Crazy.