LCVG

I can?t believe that my Xbox needs another repair

howiedo1n

I just got my XBox back on 11/24/03 from a two-three week hiatus. It was being ?fixed? by the Microsoft service center. I have been enjoying many new and old games on it without a hitch. Or so I thought?

They said that the Dvd drive and power supply where the parts that were replaced.

One of the new games I got was ESPN NBA Basketball. About a week after playing a season on NBA2k4 the game just stopped loading up at all. So I returned it and tried a new disk that one would not load up as well. I got on the phone with the Tech and they told me to wipe the disk... Delete all the NBA files on the HD and try and reboot the game. Nothing got it working again. So I decided to go to EB and ask them to try the new NBA in one of there systems and it worked.

The only thing left for me to do is to send the xbox back for another ?repair?.

That makes it TWO repairs in just one month! THAT JUST SUCKS!!

It does not say much about their repair service.

Why can?t they just get it right the first time? They are throwing in mech assault for my hassle. Which is a nice gesture but I told the girl she could keep the game, just make sure that the system is fixed right this time or have them replace it altogether. She said the game will be here with in 5-7 days. I was like there is no rush on the game since my console won?t be here.

Unbelievable. :?

Has this ever happened to anyone? Where the game does not load at all out of the blue, but all other games work. The one that does not work on your console works on others?..?

I had a weird problem with my launch Xbox, that was very strange.

My lauch Xbox started getting DD errors, and then locking up in some games. Eventually, we purchased a new one. The new system started doing the exact same thing about a year later.

Luckily I had a replacement warranty at EBGames, and they replaced it for free. Bringing the new system home, I unpacked it, set it up, and same issue started happening.

For the record, all three systems were the original systems, the ones not bundled with anything. I don't remember what drives they had in them.

Well, I was pretty pissed, so I exchanged the "new" one at EBGames (there was a long story about why they wouldn't honor my warranty, but I won't go into that here), and I decided to replace the Monster Cable for Xbox I'd been using all the time with one of the official Microsoft packs.

My new Xbox (One of the JSRF/Sega GT packs) has been working flawlessly since I bought it and started using the Microsoft av pack.

Was it the Monster Cable? I don't know. But it sure as hell seems like the culprit.

I bought my console the day the SegaGT/JSRF bundle came out...and I am now starting to have problems with DDE. My Top Spin is locking up some, Midway Arcade Treasures is locking up...and if I leave a game on pause for more than a minute, it can't start back up. I'll be talking to an Xbox rep about this soon...

I'm on my third DVD drive. The first 2, which were both manufactured by Thomson, had intolerable DDE's/loading problems after about 11 months each. This time the repair center put in a Samsung drive. I'm hoping that the Samsung lasts more than 11 months!

BTW, when I talked to the 800 number this time, I said I was having frequent DDE's & they did not ask me a single question. They just said that the shipping box is on it's way to send it in. I got the feeling they are VERY familiar with the problem with these drives & I'm sure they're replacing _lots_ of them. I would definitely argue with them until they fix it for free...even if it's out of warranty. You shouldn't have to pay for what is obviously a product with a known defect. (I guess this is directed more towards the person in that other recent DDE thread here)

Buck all games work. Just having the lock up with ESPN NBA (2 new copys that both wound up working on the EB display system). I have ESPN Football and Hockey and they both work also. Very odd... After taking a closer look at the new drive that they replaced for me, it looks like its is the Phillips drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just got it back and this time I am not so lucky. The Hard Drive was formatted. :evil:

That SUCKS!!!

It looks to me like they also replaced the new Phillips drive with a Samsung drive. Lets hope I have better luck with this one. It also seems a little bit louder like they added a new and improved fan or just broke the old one.

On the one hand I am happy that all my games will now work and that the service was done so fast, but if I knew before hand that the cost would be all the time and effort I put into this machine would be lost. I would have waited till NBA2k5 came out and prayed that that would have worked.

Now I need to unlock all the cars and play some serious rounds of golf before I join in on any of the fun... DOH!!

Originally posted by howiedo1n@Jan 9 2004, 11:55 AM

The Hard Drive was formatted. :evil:

:shock:

I'd call them and ask for what reason they formatted the HDD. There is absolutely no reason to format the drive unless of course they put in a new one, but then, they should have copied the contents.

I'm glad you seem to have gotten things straightened out, Howie, but I'm sorry you had to lose all your save games.

Originally posted by Buck+Jan 9 2004, 12:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buck @ Jan 9 2004, 12:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-howiedo1n@Jan 9 2004, 11:55 AM

The Hard Drive was formatted. :evil:

:shock:

I'd call them and ask for what reason they formatted the HDD. There is absolutely no reason to format the drive unless of course they put in a new one, but then, they should have copied the contents.

I'm glad you seem to have gotten things straightened out, Howie, but I'm sorry you had to lose all your save games. [/b]

I spoke to one of the guys and he read off all the notes taken by the Techs.

[notes]

Replaced the System Board, HDD and DVD Drive due to process.

Upgraded FXLNK PSU-REV C3FR [/notes] (whatever that means)

I get the obvious stuff but what is all that letter stuff?

Did they reflash the chip with the most up to date firmware or something?

I think last time I lucked out and my HDD info was retained maybe or maybe not due to my little letter. (please do not format HDD since I have yet to back up info)

Either they are just sick of me complaining about the same system and want to deter me from sending it in again or it is too much work for them to back up my games and soundtracks. Either way it really SUX!!!

They may have felt some of the files were problematic and did not want to transfer the problem over to the new drive.

Who knows? Your guess is as good as mine. Can anyone make anything out of that gibberish?

In the end after all the trouble I have had I wound up extending the warranty for one more year. For 25 bucks it?s worth not having to worry about my box crapping out on me again.

Originally posted by howiedo1n@Jan 9 2004, 02:20 PM

Upgraded FXLNK PSU-REV C3FR (whatever that means)

I get the obvious stuff but what is all that letter stuff?

Power Supply Unit? Maybe they fried your components during the fix and had to replace it all?

That's awful that you lost all your stuff!

-j