LCVG

The Last Guardian - E3 Trailer - December 6th release date!

Sitting and thinking of the story; my personal opinion on why it's called The Last Guardian, and who that is exactly.

YOU...the boy...are the last guardian. Everyone thinks it's the beasts/Trico but, that's obviously not true since you find out after the credits that Trico is not alone. He's with that other beast that he glanced at when flying out of The Nest at the very end. You can also see that other beasts eyes in the background, during the epilogue ending, and you can hear a baby Trico.

So...the kids that they dump down that birds mouth...I think they're being turned into those stone guardians. I don't think they're the food, or at least, maybe that's just a byproduct of turning them into the stone guardians. You were supposed to be one of those but, Trico got hit by lightning, and you never ended up being transformed into a guardian. Maybe that's why they were chasing you throughout the game, to make you into the guardian that you were supposed to become, as indicated by the strange markings on your body.

Since it never happened to you....you are the last guardian.

I'm very relieved that Trico survived, and actually has a partner and baby. Guess the other beast must've pulled the spears out, and probably helped find food for Trico. Still...it's very bitter sweet for me since Trico never got to see his human friend again, and vice versa.

As for the music, I can't even listen to the epilogue track without getting teary eyed. Just phenomenal...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to finally download this on PSN last night and I'm in love already.  Controls are fine IMO.  I wouldn't expect this to have the "you can't fail" feel of the platforming in Uncharted for exampl

Member the Emperor?

Sitting and thinking of the story; my personal opinion on why it's called The Last Guardian, and who that is exactly.

YOU...the boy...are the last guardian. Everyone thinks it's the beasts/Trico but, that's obviously not true since you find out after the credits that Trico is not alone. He's with that other beast that he glanced at when flying out of The Nest at the very end. You can also see that other beasts eyes in the background, during the epilogue ending, and you can hear a baby Trico.

So...the kids that they dump down that birds mouth...I think they're being turned into those stone guardians. I don't think they're the food, or at least, maybe that's just a byproduct of turning them into the stone guardians. You were supposed to be one of those but, Trico got hit by lightning, and you never ended up being transformed into a guardian. Maybe that's why they were chasing you throughout the game, to make you into the guardian that you were supposed to become, as indicated by the strange markings on your body.

Since it never happened to you....you are the last guardian.

I'm very relieved that Trico survived, and actually has a partner and baby. Guess the other beast must've pulled the spears out, and probably helped find food for Trico. Still...it's very bitter sweet for me since Trico never got to see his human friend again, and vice versa.

As for the music, I can't even listen to the epilogue track without getting teary eyed. Just phenomenal...

Not bad.  I've thought of it as a possibility, but it does opens up a rather large can of worms.

It begs the question of who/what you're guarding and from what?  I've thought of that from different angles, and I personally feel there's no internal logical consistency to it.  I can see a scenario where the Master of the Valley is the one being guarded, but the lack of threats (real or implied) kind of ruins the whole guardianship idea.  The greatest threat to the whole place is that none of the buildings and structures are up to code...

Not bad.  I've thought of it as a possibility, but it does opens up a rather large can of worms.

It begs the question of who/what you're guarding and from what?  I've thought of that from different angles, and I personally feel there's no internal logical consistency to it.  I can see a scenario where the Master of the Valley is the one being guarded, but the lack of threats (real or implied) kind of ruins the whole guardianship idea.  The greatest threat to the whole place is that none of the buildings and structures are up to code...

LOL...definitely not up to code!

That's about the only thing I can think of that the guardians would be protecting, too. Not sure why they would but, I can't think of anything else.

I'm guessing that since Ico was first, and Colossus was obviously set previous to Ico due to the horned baby at the end, that this game is even further into the past? Doesn't really mean anything. Just guessing it's further back. I read an article a few years back. where the subject was Shadow of the Colossus, and the writer was saying that it's based on the Tower of Babel, from the bible. Can't remember all of the references given but, the smoking gun at the end of the article was that Dormin, the protagonist from Colossus, spelled backwards is Nimrod... Just surprised at how much people can dig into game lore.

Agreed that, at this point, I can't see any connection to the other games, lore wise. The Nest reminds of one of the battle areas from Colossus. I think I remember some round, large, plateau, out in the desert area not far from the flying creature. The first time you see The Nest, as you're flying in, it immediately reminded me of that area in Colossus. A possible link???

Welp, that was something.

I too found the controls frustrating at time, more-so than I ever did with Ico or Shadow of the Colossus. Gone seems to be many of the scripted camera angles, and I wonder if they were intentionally left out or they just never got to them, deciding that it added a differentiator from overly-scripted experience of the same nature in titles like Uncharted as you mentioned above.

In retrospect, I'm glad those frustrations were there. I recall with strange fondness the frustrations of trying to climb the moving and shaking beasts in Shadow of the Colossus, or the first time I tried to get up that goddamn windmill in Ico. It's that same sense of struggle that I believe is part of this series, love it or hate it. And for that, I will take The Last Guardian as it is, and I love it, warts and all.

As for the story elements, I think these are all possible interpretations, but I choose to think that they're all separate stories in a related universe. Looking for connections is fun, and there are definitely tons of easter eggs, but I almost think trying too hard to come up with those connections reduces each one to just another chapter, and I like to think of them as much more than that.

Here's another thought:

One could interpret the term "The Last Guardian" as the final armored knights that you take down in a seeming ritual in the final parts of the game. You know the part I'm talking about, where, when presented with the beam of the shield, they seem to just kneel down and take their sacrificial status with honor or simple surrender. At least, that's a more fun interpretation that I'm toying with right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, I can finally say I finished The Last Guardian.

Lots to digest story-wise and gameplay-wise. Overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think it reached the heights of Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but it was a damn fine game marred only by a frustrating camera and choppy framerates for a PS4 title.

I can't seem to put this one down... it's so amazing from sequence to sequence and some of the visuals are just breathtaking. Also, the audio in this game is SO great; the different sounds Trico makes based on the situation or where I'm directing him or what he's fighting is just unreal - it seems so much like a real creature.

Finished this one last night and I loved it. I thought it played well but, there were definitely some technical issues still - framerate drops, movement controls and I even had it crash once. As far as movement controls, controlling the damn kid was way more of a hassle for me than anything with Trico itself. The kid would jump at weird angles half the time or drop from ledges nowhere near where he was standing; things like that. On the camera, it would go wonky in places but, nothing too bad for me. I found it mildly frustrating at times but, not terrible and - as Josh said it kinda reminded me of Shadow and Ico so was kinda "nostalgic" at the same time (for lack of a better expression). Having said that, Trico was just about the best in-game creature I've ever seen in a game. Everything about Trico seemed natural and animalistic to me - like a living thing to the point that it was somewhat surreal at times while playing. The creature design, sound, movement - it all absolutely comes together nearly perfectly.

Story-wise I'm happy with the ending...

but I really wanted them to reunite. Regardless, it felt appropriate for the story so I like it.

And it has to be said - the music and sound design in this game are second to none. Simply amazing

The full 24 track score album is so, so good.

Story-wise I'm happy with the ending...

but I really wanted them to reunite. Regardless, it felt appropriate for the story so I like it.

Did the ending not leave you with the impression they would or at the very least could?

It could be argued the game makes quite a scathing commentary about a certain facet of older generations who are so fixed in their ways and beliefs that they could never integrate with Trico and his kind. By the end, that generation has passed on, and the boy, now an elder himself, watches over a new generation. Upon recovering the shield, the signal it sends out could be an invitation to let Trico know it is safe to come back, and since we see a second pair of eyes and hear baby chirps he could bring the whole family. :) That was my interpretation of the ending anyway.

You can make his horns glow in that final scene, incidentally, so the bond between the boy and Trico remains. :)

• 2 months later...

The full 24 track score album is so, so good.

Did the ending not leave you with the impression they would or at the very least could?

It could be argued the game makes quite a scathing commentary about a certain facet of older generations who are so fixed in their ways and beliefs that they could never integrate with Trico and his kind. By the end, that generation has passed on, and the boy, now an elder himself, watches over a new generation. Upon recovering the shield, the signal it sends out could be an invitation to let Trico know it is safe to come back, and since we see a second pair of eyes and hear baby chirps he could bring the whole family. :) That was my interpretation of the ending anyway.

You can make his horns glow in that final scene, incidentally, so the bond between the boy and Trico remains. :)

I only have about half that number of tracks. It was what was on the soundtrack for the collectors edition of the game. Where do you get the full 24 tracks at?

I only have about half that number of tracks. It was what was on the soundtrack for the collectors edition of the game. Where do you get the full 24 tracks at?

There was a full album release. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-last-guardian-soundtrack-composers-choice-edition/id1211111996

I have a Japanese import with bonus tracks.

PSA: The full 24 track album is now available on iTunes as well. https://itun.es/us/fcemib

• 9 months later...

Decided to finally download this on PSN last night and I'm in love already.  Controls are fine IMO.  I wouldn't expect this to have the "you can't fail" feel of the platforming in Uncharted for example.  I love the tension of struggling to climb.  The puzzles have been pretty straight forward so far.  The camera tracking tracking could be better though.  ;)  Anywho...TRICO!  What an amazing character.  Immediately I wanted to hug him and pet him and call him George.  His mannerisms really do remind me of my dog (Lab and retriever mix) at times.  Constantly following my around and then sitting and begging for treats..or barrels as it were.  :)  I don't record many videos from games I play but this moment I thought was just beautiful.   When the music,  scenery, sounds and Trico all hit you in the feels at once.

I can only imagine how  much more I'll become attached to Trico as the game progresses.  I've avoided all the spoilers so I wont be pouring through this thread just yet but figured I'd post something for those who may have passed on this one.  Do yourself a favor and pick it up.  Its only $20 right now on PSN.

• 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I wonder if they will patch in unlocked frame rate so digital version can take advantage of this and everyone will be able to take advantage of the other benefits in the patched versions. 

I wish they would. Having to stop the patch from installing or keeping the PS5 offline is a bitch. There's also some game breaking bugs that will kill progress in the 1.00 version that folks have run into to boot. It's not ideal.