LCVG

Insomiac and Sony bring you Spider-Man exclusively to PS4 - September 7th, 2018 release date

17 minutes ago, JFo said:

I never expected Sony to offer free next gen upgrades to its first-party titles. This news does not surprise me.

They're literally doing just that with Miles, Sackboy and Horizon Forbidden West when they release though.  This is an annoyance and a shitty move for existing customers who already own Spider-Man but hardly a blanket policy given what we know already about how they're handling releases.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spider-Dan, Spider-Dan, does whatever to platinum, man...   Replays shit, beats up thugs, probably drinks marmite from his mugs...   Etc

Well, fellas, it looks like I’m officially in the Spider-Man Platinum Club!   (This is my third Platinum trophy—the other two being Sly Cooper and the Theivius Raccoonus and Jak & Daxter

I think you can skip the dlc and start start a new "+" game to get the tokens necessary to unlock all suits. IIRC, that's what I did for the trophy.

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Romier S said:

They're literally doing just that with Miles, Sackboy and Horizon Forbidden West when they release though.  This is an annoyance and a shitty move for existing customers who already own Spider-Man but hardly a blanket policy given what we know already about how they're handling releases.

Right, but those are being released as cross-gen games from the get-go. I'm talking more about older titles like Uncharted 4Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War — games that came out several years ago exclusively on PS4. Will we get free upgrades to those titles? Based on what's happening with Spider-Man, I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, JFo said:

Right, but those are being released as cross-gen games from the get-go. I'm talking more about older titles like Uncharted 4Horizon Zero Dawn, and God of War — games that came out several years ago exclusively on PS4. Will we get free upgrades to those titles? Based on what's happening with Spider-Man, I doubt it.

We'll see. I don't think the assumption is entirely off but I also think its very studio dependent and what kind of a lift is behind the upgrade. We're going to see much more in the way of "case by case" situations happening.

Insomniac is posting on Era and very much pushing that this isn't a slight upgrade but a complete redo of assets and more. They also state that buyers of the Miles standard edition will have an upgrade path as well. I still think its an ugly slight to owners of the previous game but (as usual with this new generation), the messaging and thought process sucks. How about showing the upgraded version of the game to make that sales pitch? How's about giving existing owners an upgrade path for a discounted price? (i.e. if you own the existing version on PS4, you get the new game for $20). The message right now if "Fuck you, pay me" and well, that's a pretty shitty message no matter how you slice it. we'll see if the final product has as much effort put into it as they are claiming....

• Like 1

The PS+ Collection of games I find quite intriguing when you look over the list. A lot of the games on there are ones that could benefit from a system boost to help them lock the framerate to 60. The absence of something like Horizon Zero Dawn in the PS+ Collection makes me think that could be in for the Spider-man treatment in the sense it could get a remaster bringing it up to the visual fidelity of the sequel (not necessarily that it would be bound exclusively to a Forbidden West Deluxe Ed).

Lack of paid upgrade option for existing owners of Spidey seems shortsighted though. A lot of time and expense has clearly gone into the remaster. It's absolutely going to be available in the PS Store at some point, but for now I guess they want to push as many people as possible into buying the deluxe edition of Miles (and perhaps when it does go standalone on the PS Store it will be priced higher than the $20 premium the higher priced edition of Miles commands).