LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Death Stranding - Kojima Production's first game (PS4) - Releasing November 8th , 2019

The moment the baby starts crying and they're trying to figure out if that affects their footage allotment for the preview 😂. Brad's like, "Let me just soothe the baby. Hang on".

Timestamped link:

The thing that makes me wonder if I'll like this is the repetitiveness of the missions. If this wasn't Kojima, I might just wait or skip it altogether, but I think I'm willing to give it a shot. I also like how much the gameplay looks like Metal Gear Solid V.

• Like 1

I've got it pre-loaded, so ready to go. Not sure when I will get a chance to put some real time into the over the next few days. 

• Like 1

I played through the first two hours. It’s absolutely stunning visually. The art direction, presentation and music are just *chef’s kiss*. The HDR implementation is also very strong. I made sure to  calibrate using the PS4’s new HDR calibration tool and enabled the HGIG setting on the C9 and it does bring out some additional detail from the standard HDR game mode.

Mechanically it’s an interesting game to say the least. There are systems to control balance, organize encumberance as well as your typical health and stamina meters. Holding both shoulder buttons will force Sam to hold on to the belts for his cargo which helps to balance him out when he’s carrying a heavy load but doing this will slow you down. It will also slow down the rate of stamina burn while in water for example. Don’t hold them and you’ll need to press either shoulder button if Sam loses his balance but otherwise, he moves faster. If you don’t pay attention then Sam will fall damaging the load thus affecting your rating upon delivery.  

Alternately, you can hold precious cargo in either hand as well....and I do mean hold. You pick up cargo by pressing and holding either shoulder button which represents your hands. Let go and the cargo drops. Press triangle and you move it to your back. Holding cargo in your hand protects it from damage. Even from a fall so there’s some strategy there. 

Rain or timefall as it’s called in the game is corrosive and basically ages most anything it touches. So if you’re in the rain long, your cargo will get damaged. Rain also brings about the BT’s which are the ghostly other world beings in the trailers. It appears there was some kind of explosion that caused the world if the living and the dead to collide and that’s the core of the world building and narrative early on.

Its an interesting if super weird game but I’ve liked what I have played so far. I was surprised by how quickly the game launches you into its gameplay. There are cutscenes interspersed but it didn’t feel Metal Gear Solid 4 tedious.

Obviousky early, early days here but I’m intrigued by the setup of the story and the visuals are just slack jaw gorgeous. I’m traveling next week so I won’t be able to dive in but completing Luigi’s Mansion 3 needs to come first anyways. I’ll post more thoughts when I do more of a deep dive in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

I’m liking it, so far. Very early as well. Basically on my very first mission, to the very first “knot”.  

I think the desolation of the gorgeous environment is going to keep me drawn in. It was one of the main things I loved about SotC. The loneliness and isolation, for some reason, draws me into games that have it. 

Probably will see this through to the end. 

...and it’s damn weird, so far. 

I've been enjoying this and pleasantly surprised how many elements of the gameplay feel similar to Metal Gear Solid V. From the movements of your character, to menu screens, to even the cadence of how voiceovers work.

I also heard that the terrain changes over time, like if other online players walk the same path, the ground becomes a dirt road.

Still playing. Still enjoying it. Been spending a lot of time building up the road system. VASTLY improves hauling cargo. 

Surprised that with all the attention to detail, that there isn’t a day/night cycle. Seems like it would be quite a bit more tense hunting BT’s, at night. 

• Like 1