LCVG

Death Stranding (PS4) - *UPDATE* Director's Cut Announced for PS5 Coming September 24th, 2021

Romier S

7 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Ok, so I wasn't off-base:

Hes basically saying, “I don’t like the name Directors Cut….. so please look forward to Death Stranding: Ultimate Edition in a few years so I can correct this egregious error”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This and Final Fantasy VII Remake are really the remaining PS4 biggies that I have left to purchase and catch up on. I'm honestly not sure why my interest in this waned so fast. I've every intention of playing it, but I did ultimately come to react to media about it with something of a shrug, I think perhaps because it clearly commands a certain level of commitment as far as being in the right headspace is concerned. I need to feel in the right place to embrace its weirdness and apparent monotony, but I can't deny the attraction of its unique singular vision, flawed or not. Hopefully the game itself will really surprise me. I'll see how the price of the Director's Cut looks closer to Christmas (though my intention is to make FFVIII my big game of the holidays).

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

I never got around to playing this on the PS4 despite owning it since launch. I glad I didn’t since this is looking like the definitive way to do so. This trailer is pretty fantastic!

I really loved this game so much. I look forward to hearing your take on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally started the game after sitting on it for over a year. The Director’s Cut seemed the perfect opportunity to do so given all of the improvements.

This game has no business being as addictive as it is. I mean, the core gameplay loop on paper is an amalgamation of all of the things that would normally annoy the hell out of most of us in a vast majority of other games (high ratio of time spent in menus, inventory and encumberance management, literal walking simulator, etc.) but somehow it works! Once you let it get its hooks into you it’s pretty damned hard to put down and the sense of progression is just satisfying as hell.

I started on Friday and am nearly done with Act 3 at this point. The story cadence is fairly typical Kojima. A great deal of pretentious exposition that tries to over-explain things a little too often. Thankfully, there is a sense of restraint on the cutscene side of things. It’s a bit heavy early on but once you are in the game proper, it strikes a much better balance. The good news is that everything that’s going on is just batshit crazy enough to keep your attention. This is a strange world with an series of extremely interesting mysteries playing out around Sam. What is the Death Stranding? How do the beaches tie the real world to the other side? Why is Higgs connection to the world of the dead so strong? What caused the BT’s and the voidouts? Who does BB keep seeing in its memories and why is Sam so connected to it? When you first start, all of this will sound like gibberish but there’s plenty of stuff to read, listen, and watch that help to build this world and you can’t help but be fascinated by it all.

I popped this in expecting to check out the first few hours and take in the updated visuals (and the stellar art direction) while leaving a full playthrough for later. I ended up completely hooked and am full steam ahead until I see the credits roll. Not bad for a glorified FedEx simulator.:) Seriously though, there is just nothing else in the AAA space like this game and that’s /fantastic/. Metroid Dread may have to wait it’s turn.

Oh and I can’t say enough about how amazing the online experience is here. Connecting a new area to the Chiral Network and seeing all of the tools and structures built by other players is so damned good. You want to add your own stuff just to help the overall community and you get rewarded for doing so. I love it.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

I finally started the game after sitting on it for over a year. The Director’s Cut seemed the perfect opportunity to do so given all of the improvements.

This game has no business being as addictive as it is. I mean, the core gameplay loop on paper is an amalgamation of all of the things that would normally annoy the hell out of most of us in a vast majority of other games (high ratio of time spent in menus, inventory and encumberance management, literal walking simulator, etc.) but somehow it works! Once you let it get its hooks into you it’s pretty damned hard to put down and the sense of progression is just satisfying as hell.

I started on Friday and am nearly done with Act 3 at this point. The story cadence is fairly typical Kojima. A great deal of pretentious exposition that tries to over-explain things a little too often. Thankfully, there is a sense of restraint on the cutscene side of things. It’s a bit heavy early on but once you are in the game proper, it strikes a much better balance. The good news is that everything that’s going on is just batshit crazy enough to keep your attention. This is a strange world with an series of extremely interesting mysteries playing out around Sam. What is the Death Stranding? How do the beaches tie the real world to the other side? Why is Higgs connection to the world of the dead so strong? What caused the BT’s and the voidouts? Who does BB keep seeing in its memories and why is Sam so connected to it? When you first start, all of this will sound like gibberish but there’s plenty of stuff to read, listen, and watch that help to build this world you can’t help but be fascinated by it all.

I popped this in expecting to check out the first few hours and take in the updated visuals (and the stellar art direction) while leaving a full playthrough for later. I ended up completely hooked and am full steam ahead until I see the credits roll. Not bad for a glorified FedEx simulator.:) Seriously though, there is just nothing else in the AAA space like this game and that’s /fantastic/. Metroid Dread may have to wait it’s turn.

Oh and I can’t say enough about how amazing the online experience is here. Connecting a new area to the Chiral Network and seeing all of the tools and structures built by other players is so damned good. You want to add your own stuff just to help the overall community and you get rewarded for doing so. I love it.

I am having the same experience as you are.  I don't know why I'm enjoying myself.... but I'm *pretty sure* that I am :)
I think I'm about the same distance into the game as you are...  All I want to do is complete the highways!!! 

2 minutes ago, Kyle-K said:

I am having the same experience as you are.  I don't know why I'm enjoying myself.... but I'm *pretty sure* that I am :)
I think I'm about the same distance into the game as you are...  All I want to do is complete the highways!!! 

It's baffling isn't it? I should hate every minute of this. It's like a laundry list of what not to do to make a game "fun" and yet....dare I say that I'm having a damned blast with it? I can't stop playing. 

By the way, the haptics in the game are fantastic. Anything that Sam does, you feel it on the controller and it ranges from super subtle to distinct feedback when you are carrying a bigger load of deliveries.

I'm utterly addicted to scrounging for resources to build up roads!

Finally giving this one a spin. Kojima is a mad man and I love it.

The story seems surprisingly “easy” to follow for a Kojima joint, which is nice. I’m still early on so this feels a bit more like a tutorial so far but I can see that I might get super into this one. 

I'm still in Chapter 3 and can't move on until all those damned roads are built.:)

I'm having a good time with the automated bots and tracking their progress and I've unlocked the Trike with the add on storage which makes travel quite fun. I also stole a truck from the Mules that made hauling huge amounts of materials for road building a treat. It's amazing the sense of satisfaction you get in this game when you finally start to open up the little things that make traversal easier/more accessible.

I do need to move on eventually and probably will later tonight but we'll see. I love the tie-in stuff with Half Life so far and I just got my first mission to pick up a data chip with "V" engraved on it which I'm guessing is the first item to tie-in into Cyberpunk. I regularly run around with the

Gordon Freeman glasses on.

:)

Not to mention I unlocked all of the holograms for the Craftsman ...

Herman Hulst which gives you a bunch of holograms for Aloy, the Tallnecks, etc.

11 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm still in Chapter 3 and can't move on until all those damned roads are built.:)

Pretty sure I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 after running through 1 and 2 last night.

Spoiler

I'm at the moment when I've agreed to help rebuild the network and head west for Amelie, so I'm guessing I've somewhat opened up the main / free-roam portion?

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

It's amazing the sense of satisfaction you get in this game when you finally start to open up the little things that make traversal easier/more accessible.

This to me was the crux of the game. You start off with this challenging terrain to cover, carrying a single package, and you slowly conquer it with your new skills, strategy, and new tools the game consistently give you.

Wait until you get to build 

Spoiler

Zip lines.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Pretty sure I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 after running through 1 and 2 last night.

Hide contents

I'm at the moment when I've agreed to help rebuild the network and head west for Amelie, so I'm guessing I've somewhat opened up the main / free-roam portion?

Chapter 3 starts after leaving Port Knot City. You’ll experience your first boss battle and be introduced to Higgs.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Question for those that beat it: Does the game allow you to keep doing your thing after beating it or does it end entirely?

Going off of memory, yes. I don't think there are any restrictions after beating it and coming back. My game is still going even now as I just went back to transfer my save. 

33 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Going off of memory, yes. I don't think there are any restrictions after beating it and coming back. My game is still going even now as I just went back to transfer my save. 

Excellent. I may go ahead and do a big push to move the story along this weekend and come back to 5-Star what I haven’t already.