LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

David Fincher in early talks to direct World War Z 2

So this may be happening...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/david-fincher-world-war-z-sequel-brad-pitt-1201819540/

After losing director J.A. Bayona to the “Jurassic World” universe, Brad Pitt is zeroing in on an old friend for the “World War Z” sequel.

Sources have told Variety that Pitt, along with Paramount and Skydance, is in talks with David Fincher to direct the follow-up to the 2013 smash hit.

Pitt, who’s returning to star in and produce the next “World War Z” installment, recently met with a handful of other directors, but is said to be zeroing in on Fincher for the pic, which is expected to start filming in early 2017.

Skydance and Paramount had no comment on the development.

According to sources, Fincher and Pitt met two weeks ago to discuss the possibility of Fincher boarding the zombie tentpole. The talks were initially lukewarm, but sources now tell Variety that negotiations are much further down the road and that other director currently has an offer.

A Fincher-Pitt reunion on “World War Z” would mark their fourth film together, having previously collaborated on “Se7en,” “Fight Club” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Alien 3 is precisely the point; I didn't think he'd put himself in that position again.

It's quite a bit different if this ends up coming to pass. He's not a first time director unable to deal with enormous studio pressure and intervention anymore. I'm pretty damn sure David Fincher would get to make whatever version of WWZ2 he cares to make without much studio interference. Especially with Pitt producing and vying for him to take the job.

Alien 3 is precisely the point; I didn't think he'd put himself in that position again.

But David Fincher circa Alien 3 is massively different than David Fincer now.  He may not have blockbuster plastered all over his resume, but he does above average work which is saying a lot.

I'm still sad we never got to see Fincher do his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea remake a few years ago, which was the last time he was close to taking on a huge studio tent-pole project only for the stress and hassle of studio interference to drive him off it. 

• Like 1