LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Elite Dangerous (PC/Mac/XB1. Coming to PS4 Q2 2017)

So... the ED: Beyond update looks pretty damn amazing: 

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383217-Frontier-Expo-2017-Recap

The planets look SO much nicer, better Enginnering, better missions, wing missions (particularly cool), carriers and player groups are all great additions. And I can't believe this is included with the Horizons Pass - no new purchase necessary?!? That's Awesome. I am buying that Chieftan as soon as she's up :D

Those are some great announcements. I'm hoping that the Krait will fit in somewhere between the Python and Anaconda; I've been using my Python for around half my total time in the game now, and I'm kind of bored of it but still can't afford to step up to the 'conda in a way that doesn't make it a trade-only nigh-shieldless deathtrap.

Mind you, that Chieftan looks pretty damn badass, too.

update: no, the Krait is teeny tiny:

5QxcdMS.png

What looks like a mere pair of mount points, fits on a small pad, but manages to squeeze in an SLF. Should make for some interesting loadouts!

Yes, I think Elite had the best showing of all the reveals at the Frontier expo. That Beyond will be free as well seems to mark an interesting change for the game's updates too, although it may be a one off just for 2018 given how much of Beyond is based on improving the fundamentals of the core gameplay. 

That ice planet is concept art by the way. They stressed that during the reveal.

Video of initial Planetary Tech improvements:

Galnet audio news:

The planet updates look great, but I see the point about all this being done for every copy of the game, so it's not something they can charge for. Which makes two years out of three that we've not had the pay-for expansion they originally planned; I'm glad I didn't shell out for the lifetime pass after all.

• Like 1

I think I posted it elsewhere but, the in game Thargoid event is pretty fun at the moment with stations being attacked and special rescue missions available to evacuate the stations :) they’ve also added the Type 10 Defender now too which is cool (but expensive).

So Beyond Ch1 is out Feb 27th and it s a pretty substantial update. The Type 10 Defender is already in-game and, there are several Thargoid events already happening but, as of Tuesday the 1st all new ship design (not an update from elite 1 or 2) will be out - the Chieftan, the tech broker will be added, there are squadrons now and the new megaships. The Chieftan is a pretty awesome looking new ship and the arcticulated engines give it a look that almost feels like it would be from “Firefly”. The tech broker will be an interesting new gameplay element too and I love the idea of player squadrons so should be pretty cool. Can’t believe these updates are still included with Horizons too... I haven’t dropped a penny on Elite since I bought it (except a few paint jobs to be fair) and they keep adding more and more to the game :) 

It's looking great but I've still so much to play and to watch I honestly don't know when I will be able to get back into the game. I continue to enjoy watching its progress, but it's been so long since I've been able to sit with it that I've forgotten all my controls.

Next year’s Odyssey update is a biggie. You’ll finally be able to get out and walk on planets, and engage in on foot combat.

May have to ensure I have the means to play it again when this launches. I wonder if they have next-gen plans or plan to just rely on backwards compatibility and patch enhancements.

• Like 1
  • Stunned 1

The expansion looks great :) hope it’s all VR compatible too. The addition of VR to No Mans Sky and walking around on the surface of planets was amazing and Elite will likely do this even better. 

• Like 1

At  some point I’m going to post my pics from my trip to the galactic center. There are bunches and the story to go with it is decent. 

I now have 6 ships that are decked out for specific tasks: exploration, combat x2, cargo hauling, passenger tourism, and mining. I have some engineering in the ships but lack of materials is an issue for me. Money is not an issue, $1.8 billion right now I think,  as we’ve found tourism to be highly profitable with very little risk.  

• Like 2

I’d love to see the pics, the story and some screens of the ships and load outs please. 

When they add it, I'll probably buy it. I can't say I'm in a rush to get out of my ship anyway.

• Haha 1

I’m less excited about walking around planets, but if we can walk around ships and space stations? That would be amazing. Whether that’s part of the Odyssey update I don’t know.

As far as I know there aren't even any places to go that are modeled on the space stations.  They'd have to build all that out.  Admittedly, there are only like 5 or 6 different types of stations though so it wouldn't be unachievable.  For my part, I don't really have any interest in walking about.  And I absolutely don't want the game to turn into some FPS.  I'm here to haul shit and people(great money, 70-80 million/hour) and explore on the macro level.  Let me go out and find the habitable worlds, 3-4 alone on my Sag A trip, and then let others come along and do the hard work.