LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

Posted Images

Heh, Samsung CES conference just took a shot at LG....OLED degrades over time, not Quantum dot

HRD 1500-2000 nits.

That degrade comment is a nice shot but silly at this point. Life expectancy on OLED via normal expected use is worlds beyond from what it was years ago when the technology first hit the scene in the TV space. They're still preying on that old FUD. :)

Plus, will the back panel on my OLED separate over time like the KS8000? :Cruise:

You can't expect the two leaders in Korean TVs not to take shots at each other. :) Samsung have questionable OLED vs QLED demos on the show floor too, but that's pretty much standard whenever we get one company comparing their tech to another company's. They'll always have their panel calibrated but their competitors? Eh... 

As I wrote the other week, it's quite cheeky that Samsung are using the QLED branding so soon as traditionally it has been reserved for what will eventually be emissive LED tech similar to OLED, so sure Samsung piss on emissive tech now, yet it's actually what they are pouring all their R&D into achieving in a few years (the hold up, much like OLED in its infancy and still today in its yield rates, is with the blues). 

I'm pleased to see that this year's Samsung sets look to be a step up built quality wise. The no gap wall mount and "invisible" one connect cable is neat. I'm still very interested in these models, so I'm glad to know we'll start getting reviews next month.

Kaz on stage now.

Sony have their own new Crystal LED tech. Seems like a prototype though. It's a giant screen the size of a wall. 

X1 Extreme processor is this year's SoC.

Z93E Bravia with slim backlight drive+ announced. Very slim. Hard to tell where this sits in the lineup. The model number would suggest a marriage between the 93 and Z?

Bravia OLED A1E announced with acoustic surface tech... No visible speakers. It emits sound through the panel! This is not going to be cheap.

Sony will support Dolby Vision in 2017 TVs (and the Z9D from last year will get it via a firmware update). Kaz showed their UHD Blu-ray player revealed last year, which presumably will also support Dolby Vision. That's just the kind of white knight Dolby needed to ensure DVs place in the home. Great news. Presumably Sony will have DV on their discs in future (they were actually first to announce they would way back in 2015, but it never came to pass by the time UHD Blu launched).

Yes. Kaz has not gone into details on stage for any products, but it is believed the OLEDs will come in 55 and 65 inch sizes. I'm none the wiser as to where everything fits into the lineup right now. There's just no way, looking at the screen on stage, that OLED is going to be $3000 for the 55 and $4000 for the 65 as rumoured. No way. It looks like a luxury item.

It's referred to as the B38 in the Youtube video blurb. 

X1 Extreme SoC:

Here's the LED.

Named here as the XE93, where as it was the Z93E on stage. I think the naming differences may represent different sides of the Atlantic as last years Sony models had slight model name differences too. This seems to be the successor to last years 930D so it's definitely one to keep an eye on. Very nice looking set, though I prefer the stand mount they had last year.

Interesting that the 940D, which was a full array backlit model, has not been replaced, so maybe the OLED fits in there between the 93 and the Z9D, or the OLED will sit above the Z9D (if so, I'd welcome a Z9 price drop to the 940Ds price).

Ok, some things Kaz did not mention.

There IS a 940D LED successor (940E) which retains full array local dimming. The OLEDs are coming in 55, 65 AND 77 inch sizes, and the 55inch will apparently not have the emissive audio acoustic surface tech of the larger models. That could make the 55 inch entry point a little easier on the wallet, but we'll have to see.

Both 93E and 94E are up on the UK website:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/XE9305-XE9405-Series

The LEDs are coming in 55, 65 and 75" sizes. 

So I'm back to being confused about where things sit in the line up.

930E > 940E..... then does OLED sit before or after the Z9 is the big question.

Oh and the UHD Blu player was not the same model show last year (which was an ES model). That was the X1000 where as Kaz showed the X800, so presumably this will be the player available at retail while the X1000 is for custom installers as announced last year.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

OK, if we follow Sony's website which now lists all the TVs, the hierarchy is as follows (UK models numbers referenced):

ZD9 LED.

OLED

X94E (LED w/Full Array Local Dimming)

X93E (LED)

So that could in fact indicate, for 65" and below at least, these the OLEDs may well be competitively priced. :o The 65" Z series I believe is $5500 in the US (and £4000 here). If it's accurate that the 55" OLED will not have the acoustic panel then at the very least that size may be reasonable (I'm not sure that is accurate that the 55 won't have the acoustic panel though. I saw it mentioned on one forum but have yet to find evidence in the press, and indeed Sony's website does not yet suggest it would be lacking). Maybe $4500 for the 65 and $3500 for the 55 is not outside the realms of possibility.

Apparently the OLEDs will be launching in the Spring according to flatpanelshd. If that's true, and the launch prices are quite decent, then these could really be a steal come November. OLED plus the processing engine from the Z series its going to be tough to beat, especially if you also factor in Sony's expertise having produced their reference 32" OLED panel for professional use. I'll be very interested to see how Sony implement motion handling here.

Sidenote: This really was the year 3D (at home) died, eh?

Short of developing their own OS I can't imagine what else they'd use, so no surprise on the Android front sadly.

I'm keen to know more about the LED sets.

I'd also like to know what the deal is with that stand for the OLED and whether it can be adjusted to sit upright without the weird tilt. If not, I'd also like to know if the mount on the back is custom (hopefully not and a third party stand mount and wall mount options could be used. Looking at it I fear it is custom designed. I can't actually figure out how you wall mount it as the guts of the TV seem to be in the back of the stand, yet the website shows a flush wall mount is doable).

Short of developing their own OS I can't imagine what else they'd use, so no surprise on the Android front sadly.

It's almost like they've never developed an OS/UI before for a consumer electronics product. Especially not their most popular one that's making them money hand over fist....;)

...and Albert, WebOS is awesome. It's really grown on me.

It's almost like they've never developed an OS/UI before for a consumer electronics product. Especially not their most popular one that's making them money hand over fist.... ;)

That would require two divisions within Sony to work together from the same page. They've rarely shown themselves to be so competent unfortunately. It would not shock me if the TVs had DV and the players suddenly didn't, or the TVs and Players had DV but Sony Pictures never ended up using it on their discs. They're that baffling a company at times. :)

Also it's quite possible they have a contractual agreement with Google. 

I'm wondering if flatpanelshd is indeed right in claiming the Sony OLEDs will land in the spring (I've yet to see anyone else make the claim). It seems LG's UHD Blu-ray player requires a firmware update for Dolby Vision support, which we know is also true of Oppo's player. Since DV is not mentioned anywhere for the new TVs on Sony's website it's possible all the TVs are going to require a firmware patch as well, which all kind of adds up to suggest that DV supporting products using certain chipsets will not have it out of the box until a certain date.  

We should get a lot of answers later today, and NDAs should lift for some of the press in the UK who apparently got to see these sets a while ago. Sony are also having a more intimate gathering for press just for the TVs at CES apparently. Android or not, again the experience in marrying Sony's X1 extreme with their expertise having made their ($25,000!) custom 30" OLED professional mastering monitor has insane potential if the prices are not through the roof here. The fact the website places them between the 93/94 and the Z, and not at the top end beyond the Z suggests the prices are unlikely to be as low as those initial Forbes rumours from last year, but also not as premium as the Z either. If the 65" retailed for under £4000 here, and this TV delivered, then I might just go nuts and end up with one before the year is out. Even with the panel rankings on Sony's site, it is possibly the 65" OLED goes for more than the 65" Z if the acoustic panel technology is adding a premium to the OLED sets. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't expect firm pricing details today.

The W model LG OLED is $7999 for the 65".

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-pre-order-65-class-64-5-diag--oled-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5710461.p?skuId=5710461

AV Forums have a nice video of the new Samsungs.

Build quality really looks a step up for 2017 and I still really like their OS. Viewing angles seem to be a big deal for LEDs at CES this year with Samsung, LG and now Sony all promising improvements (which are very obvious in the videos of the Samsung sets).

According to HDTV Test's Twitter feed the Sony UHD Blu-ray player actually wont support DV. Oh, Sony.... :lol:   It's been said a while ago that the chipset going into their players is one that has the capacity to support it however, so we may get definitive word later today. It's quite possible HDTV Test spoke to an ill informed rep.