LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

HDTV Test’s C9 review:

Hehe more classic deadpan deliveries sprinkled in the first half.

looks like LG knocked it out of the park. 120Hz, VRR and auto low latency mode - which introduces only 13 ms of latency.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was the first real quality time I had with the projector after a busy weekend. I rented “Bumblebee” from iTunes (still no UHD player for now). The movie itself was fine. Entertaining, if not engrossing. 

But OMG the visuals. Absolutely gorgeous. It’s basically like viewing in a quality movie theater (albeit smaller at 100"). 

I set the pj to cinema mode and the lamp to eco and even with these lumen-dampening, settings it’s brighter, more colorful and more punchy than my Panny. But it also holds the blacks way down. I set the HDR to 7 down one from the default of 8, I liked how it make the image a little more contrasty. I haven't done any calibration, I will likely do some small adjustments myself soon. I'm not a pro, but I do color correction at work all the time, so I have a sense of what an image needs.

Any fears I had before that I’d be able to see pixels are long gone. I can perhaps detect them on high-contrast text (e.g. white on black) if I strain, but that's about it.

I was also surprised at how much better my plain-jane PS4 looks. I believe the Yamaha receiver must be upscaling it (still trying to figure out how to look into these settings), because everything is significantly sharper and smoother. With this level of improvement, I don't feel any urgency in getting a Pro. In fact, I may just wait for the PS5 at this point.

And otherwise the Yamaha has provided a joyful reintroduction to my Dynaudio speakers, which I haven't been able to use for a few years since my Rotel amp died. I spent most of yesterday morning listening to music on them.

And to think that I haven't yet seen the best the Epson can output with a quality UHD player, I really couldn't be happier with the purchase.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A few questions as I’ve been out of the game for a bit...

Is there a substantial difference between the LG C9 and E9?

Do the Sony A9G OLEDs have HDMI 2.1?

Right now, I’m leaning towards the C9 55in due to price. I can get an HDMI 2.1 receiver as well as a new a UHD player but man the Sony OLED is hard to resist but the 1k premium is tough to swallow.

15 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Is there a substantial difference between the LG C9 and E9?

Just sound quality and aesthetic design I think (?). Processor is the same between them.

Do the Sony A9G OLEDs have HDMI 2.1?

No. 

Right now, I’m leaning towards the C9 55in due to price. I can get an HDMI 2.1 receiver as well as a new a UHD player but man the Sony OLED is hard to resist but the 1k premium is tough to swallow.

It’s a damn shame you don’t have Panasonic’s sets there anymore. Hoping they adopt 2.1 in the 2020 models, although I am still probably 2yrs from an upgrade. Should be no excuse for any manufacturer ignoring it next year though.

The lack of 2.1 eliminates the Sony then. 

Now I have to decide between spending the extra for the 65inch vs the 55inch. I’ve always been very pleased with 55 but I’ve been itching to go a bit bigger. I plan on finally upgrading in the next week or two.

Need to check on receiver pricing but I want to be all future proofed (relatively) for the next gen of gaming which will likely take advantage of stuff like VRR. Though it looks like HDMI 2.1 supported receivers are slim pickings. May need to wait until next year and concentrate on a new player for now.

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yeah, my hope is 2.1 becomes the norm on 2020 receivers as well as TV’s.

Whenever I get a new TV I’d certainly like to go bigger than 55.”

If it comes down to size, I may forego any spend on a player and live with the X or pick up a cheapie Xbox One S to use as a primary player for now and go for the 65in. Especially if a receiver upgrade isn’t in the picture for now. This Sony X800 is dying on me (keeps freezing and no DV).

ISF calibration is also in the cards....