LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

I'm really curious what the implications are for PC monitors are, as they're the one place I'd still consider LCD. OLED Burn In isn't a big concern for the varied sort of use my TV gets, but the number of hours my PC spends with a Windows taskbar at the bottom mean I won't be getting a monitor like that any time soon.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

It's here. For fun I put my outgoing projector on top of the Epson. Needless to say the Epson is BIG.     I've gotten it hooked up and have taken a quick gander at some 4K HDR stuf

Posted Images

13 hours ago, iainl said:

I'm really curious what the implications are for PC monitors are, as they're the one place I'd still consider LCD. OLED Burn In isn't a big concern for the varied sort of use my TV gets, but the number of hours my PC spends with a Windows taskbar at the bottom mean I won't be getting a monitor like that any time soon.

I don't think it'll have too much implication on the PC LCD monitor space - I believe Samsung Display are just getting out of LCD because they can't compete with China prices on LCD. So Samsung Electronics will just source the LCD panels from china/Taiwan rather than Samsung Display. There's also many other monitor manufacturers as well.

I think this has interesting implications for the TV space though - I speculate Samsung Display are feeling pretty confident about microLED in about 2 years and will use OLED as a stop gap in the mean time (and as a way to not bleed money perhaps).

• 4 weeks later...

Because I'm waiting until this Fall to make a TV decision, for my home theater, I haven't been that attentive to the current state of things. I wonder if someone here could wet my appetite. If I want an 84-90 inch 4K HDR TV, that was less than $3000, what would you recommend, considering that I won't be making a decision until November anyway?

29 minutes ago, Romier S said:

C9 is the way to go, yes. Bigger screen, too.

As Daniel mentioned, the differences between it and the "new" sets are minimal.

I think the chipset in the C9 and CX is in fact identical too. The only things not on the 2019 model are things like Filmmaker Mode which isn't any great loss for anyone who cares about setting up their TV properly anyway. 

On 4/6/2020 at 2:54 AM, iainl said:

I’m thinking of skipping the OLED because of this. I use my TV as a PC monitor. There is some burn-in on my plasma. I’ve learned to keep the taskbar & desktop icons hidden,, but I don’t know that I can avoid burn-in completely on an OLED.

Thinking I should get a QLED that I can live with for 5 years (maybe wait for a model with multiple 2.1 inputs though), and then see what’s new at that time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• 1 month later...

Same here - I plumped for the Sony player, and really should have spent a bit extra for the Panasonic as manually switching Dolby Vision on and off is a pain. LG C-series is the perfect balance of quality without the expensive style bits in the higher-end OLEDs.

Yes, with the LG’s the ‘C’ models are always the ones to go for in my opinion. While the B’s have (more often than not) had an inferior processor, the C’s have always shared the same processor as the E, G...etc models making all models identical outside of built in audio performance and aesthetic design.

The only reason I have an E6 is because the C6 was curved. 

I’d love the X as my 6 series is unquestionably lagging behind when it comes to HDR processing of the most recent sets. I’ll keep an eye on the 2020 or 2021 models as I suspect that is when I will now next upgrade. I am hoping Panasonic have gone fully HDMI 2.1 by then and add VRR support with the OLEDs they sell on this side of the Atlantic, as I think I’d love one of their displays more than anything, but if they don’t then I’ll be more than happy to side with LG again as they’re still the best when it comes to the balance of price, performance and features. 

While Sony also need to catch up with HDMI 2.1 and VRR support, I don’t know why they refuse to adopt display based Dolby Vision like LG do. It’s clearly the far better implementation. Some have said it’s because of Sony being particularly fussy about their own processor being allowed to do all the work, but Panasonic have their own processor which they are similarly fussy about but they nevertheless went with display based Dolby Vision On their OLED TVs too, so I don’t know what Sony’s issue is. Many people seem to recommend disabling DV entirely on Sony displays. It’s a shame because Sony are still kings of image processing and motion handling. 

I’m also curious if we see any high end mini-LED displays from Sony or Panasonic next year, or whether they are happy to stick to OLED until micro-LED becomes a realistic proposition. 

I apologize for retreading over this same topic. Seeking guidance for Home Theater TV purchase.

1. I currently have an Optoma HD80 1080p DLP projector against an 88" screen in a light-controlled room.
  2. I want to "upgrade" to 4K HDR and have decided to do so by replacing my projector setup with a TV setup
  3. Am targeting some sort of 4K HDR 85 inch-ish TV
  4. I want my TV to be PS5/Series X ready. And I want it to be as HDR future proof as possible.
  5. I use Netflix, Amazon, and Disney+ for content. PS4, PC, and PS5 too.

I was going to wait until the Fall, but my projector is showing issues, and I'm willing to pull the trigger now if it makes sense.

Suggestions? Should I be concerted about viewing angle? I don't think that's an issue for a straight-on home theater. Response time for gaming? Most TVs have a game mode don't they. HDMI 2.1? Is that really needed? Sounds like it is about 8K which I have no plans for.

This is the only TV I have in my list right now based on my very limited googling:

Sony X900H 85 Inch TV

13 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I apologize for retreading over this same topic. Seeking guidance for Home Theater TV purchase.

1. I currently have an Optoma HD80 1080p DLP projector against an 88" screen in a light-controlled room.
  2. I want to "upgrade" to 4K HDR and have decided to do so by replacing my projector setup with a TV setup
  3. Am targeting some sort of 4K HDR 85 inch-ish TV
  4. I want my TV to be PS5/Series X ready. And I want it to be as HDR future proof as possible.
  5. I use Netflix, Amazon, and Disney+ for content. PS4, PC, and PS5 too.

I was going to wait until the Fall, but my projector is showing issues, and I'm willing to pull the trigger now if it makes sense.

Suggestions? Should I be concerted about viewing angle? I don't think that's an issue for a straight-on home theater. Response time for gaming? Most TVs have a game mode don't they. HDMI 2.1? Is that really needed? Sounds like it is about 8K which I have no plans for.

This is the only TV I have in my list right now based on my very limited googling:

Sony X900H 85 Inch TV

What’s your budget?

If you’re looking to stay reasonable and wouldn’t mind a smaller screen at 75in, I highly recommend the TCL 8 Series. They are fantastic sets for the money...

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/8-series/tcl-75-class-8-series-4k-qled-hdr-roku-smart-tv-75q825

keep in kind though that if you want full compatibility of features with the new consoles, you’re going to need something with HDMI 2.1 and that’s gong to cost you. Like this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-oled-c9-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6345763.p?skuId=6345763&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1197&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw88v3BRBFEiwApwLevRNQAucNJ8SwlTX68XJDSN1UiqnWiwqzBGFDiTeJqM1yx77BzqWUzxoCHDUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

HDMI 2.1 is about more than just 8K. It includes features like ALLM (auto low latency mode that auto switches you to game mode when it detects a game), eARC, VRR (variable refresh rate), etc.  Some manufacturers are supporting certain functions on their HDMI 2.0 sets but it’s a hodge podge.

It’s still very vague regarding how 2.1 is implemented on Sony’s X900H (it’s the only 4k display from Sony this year that is said to support it. The other two are their 75 and 85” 8k sets).

You need to dig deep into the full specs on the webpage for the X900H to see confirmation of 4k/120hz, VRR, eARC, ALLM support but it is there, just bear in mind the footnotes state they will all be activated by firmware at a later date. It’s also not clear how many of the inputs on the TV will support 2.1.

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

HDMI 2.1 is about more than just 8K. It includes features like ALLM (auto low latency mode that auto switches you to game mode when it detects a game), eARC, VRR (variable refresh rate), etc.  Some manufacturers are supporting certain functions on their HDMI 2.0 sets but it’s a hodge podge.

So would it be better to give it another year to sort things out then?  I've been thinking about replacing my 65" 1080p TV with something that does 4k/HDR for gaming, but if 2.1 support isn't consistent yet, then that could just mean that I'd buy something that would be outdated very quickly. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

So would it be better to give it another year to sort things out then?  I've been thinking about replacing my 65" 1080p TV with something that does 4k/HDR for gaming, but if 2.1 support isn't consistent yet, then that could just mean that I'd buy something that would be outdated very quickly. 

I personally wouldn’t buy a set without full HDMI 2.1 support,  no. There’s a reason I went for the LG C9. I would have likely looked very hard at the Sony OLED sets but as soon as I saw they didn’t have 2.1 support, it quickly got scratched off of the list.