LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

NickC

Same here Romier. I love Sony's image processing, LOVE IT. When I went to buy my game room TV I went with the LG C9. All of my other TVs are Sony X series sets and it took me a bit to get used to the LG but now that I am I enjoy it. One good thing about LG vs Sony is no fucking Android crashing randomly, LG's implementation of webOS is nice and solid.

All very helpful guys. 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

You need to dig deep into the full specs on the webpage for the X900H to see confirmation of 4k/120hz, VRR, eARC, ALLM support but it is there, just bear in mind the footnotes state they will all be activated by firmware at a later date. It’s also not clear how many of the inputs on the TV will support 2.1.

So it sounds like this set will have 2.1, one way or another. So given the price difference between this and all of the other options, and because I really don't want to drop from 88" to anything smaller than 85", I think the decision is sort of made for me. UNLESS I have the will to wait another year. 

LAST QUESTION. I think I need to run HDMI over ethernet for this. The HDMI run would something like 20-25 feet. So it that fine? HDMI 2.1 over ethernet? I haven't researched the equipment I need, so feel free to recommend. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't heading down a terrible rabbit hole.

Apparently there are two types of HDMI cables. Active and Passive. Passive is what everyone has and they are two-way and they are limited in length of run. Active cables go in only one direction and can run longer lengths. This is really interesting to know. So long as there are no consequences to using active cables, sounds like that is the way to go with long runs.

Worth adding, re 2.1, that we'll probably keep hearing more about devices "only" supporting 40Gbps bandwith vs the full 48Gbps that the spec allows in the months and year ahead. Last year's LG OLED's had the full 48Gbps, but this year their sets have 40Gbps, likewise the new run of Denon receivers with their (single 😒) 2.1 input are also capped at 40. I'd expect 2.1 in Sony's displays, and quite honestly the displays from any other manufacturer that support 2.1, to be similar the more that come to market as it would seem as if the off the shelf manufacturers of the HDMI chipsets are capping at 40 (last year's LG OLED's apparently had a custom HDMI chipset, hence the difference).

What 48Gbps allows is 12bit 4k/120z 4:4:4 vs 40Gbps bandwidth limit of 10bit 4k/120hz 4:4:4. Since there are no 12bit consumer displays on the market, it's kind of irrelevant whether 48gbps is supported or not. Even with 8k, 40Gbps is good for 8k 24/30fps 10bit 4:4:4.

I don't know whether there are differing HDMI 2.1 specs for cables, with some supporting 40Gbps and others 48Gbps (and even how you'd test if there were), but I guess if anyone is running cables through the wall or floor, then ideally future proof yourself with a cable that claims to can handle the full bandwidth and then many years from now if we have affordable 12bit displays that can throw 10,000 nits of brightness and colour at you then you'll be good (though I suspect we'll be onto HDMI 2.5/HDMI 3.0 by then anyway). 

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I don't know whether there are differing HDMI 2.1 specs for cables, with some supporting 40Gbps and others 48Gbps (and even how you'd test if there were), but I guess if anyone is running cables through the wall or floor, then ideally future proof yourself with a cable that claims to can handle the full bandwidth and then many years from now if we have affordable 12bit displays that can throw 10,000 nits of brightness and colour at you then you'll be good (though  I suspect we'll be onto HDMI 2.5/HDMI 3.0 by then anyway). 

I appreciate this. Thanks for the thoughts guys. Upgrading friggin everything for my damn PS5. Thanks Sony.

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

I personally wouldn’t buy a set without full HDMI 2.1 support,  no. There’s a reason I went for the LG C9. I would have likely looked very hard at the Sony OLED sets but as soon as I saw they didn’t have 2.1 support, it quickly got scratched off of the list.

So the C9 has all the 2.1 features eh....interesting...I was looking at the LG OLEDs anyway, so maybe I could get a new TV after all :)

5 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Apparently there are two types of HDMI cables. Active and Passive. Passive is what everyone has and they are two-way and they are limited in length of run. Active cables go in only one direction and can run longer lengths. This is really interesting to know. So long as there are no consequences to using active cables, sounds like that is the way to go with long runs.

All of my long run cables are Active.

25 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

So it is SLIM PICK'Ns for HDMI 2.1 cables right now. This is the only one I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CableDeconn-48Gbps-Supports-HDCP2-2-Projectors/dp/B00V7NNVJG/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi%2Bcable%2Bactive%2B25%2Bfoot%2B4k&qid=1593125194&s=electronics&sr=1-6&th=1

I couldn't even find one on monoprice.

I went through this when I switched from my projector to my LG oled. 

In the end I just ended up with an entertainment center and sensible length HDMI cables. 

11 hours ago, kelley said:

I love Sony's image processing, LOVE IT. When I went to buy my game room TV I went with the LG C9. All of my other TVs are Sony X series sets and it took me a bit to get used to the LG but now that I am I enjoy it. 

I probably need to go look at TVs again to get a sense of this, but anything specific that stands out to you that you like better on the Sony sets?

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Definitely if you want to go OLED, the C9 and this year’s CX will have you covered.

Very interesting...  Now, next question is what to do with the 60" 1080p TV I have in the basement.  I was thinking of trying to mount a second TV down there so two people can play something at once, but I don't know about the wall space. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

Very interesting...  Now, next question is what to do with the 60" 1080p TV I have in the basement.  I was thinking of trying to mount a second TV down there so two people can play something at once, but I don't know about the wall space. 

Maybe you should ask your Butler what he thinks about your two TV plan, while he and the limo driver are helping the maid clean the martini stain on the rug in the guest house.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

I probably need to go look at TVs again to get a sense of this, but anything specific that stands out to you that you like better on the Sony sets?

The motion handling is superior and more natural looking. Upscaling is much cleaner looking as well.  But really it’s the motion handling for me. 

4 hours ago, Starhawk said:

2 hours ago, kelley said:

The motion handling is superior and more natural looking. Upscaling is much cleaner looking as well.  But really it’s the motion handling for me. 

I’d agree. If there’s any area Sony are still leading right now it’s with their image processing. It’s superb. The Panasonic OLEDs we have over here are also very good, but there’s still a special something about Sony’s chips.

I don’t care for Sony’s implementation of Dolby Vision that has caused people a lot of headaches, and to not roll out HDMI 2.1 in all of their 2020 TVs, the year they knew they were launching the PS5, is just absurd and another age old example that the left leg of company is never in coordination with the right. They also lag (quite literally) behind LG when it comes to display response times where LG have things under 15ms and Sony are still in the 20s and 30s depending on the set I believe. Probably negligible, but still... this is a company with a massive gaming division. Again, left leg, right leg. It probably frustrates SCE just as much as it does many of us.

11 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Holy crap. I never would have considered that. It would simplify my situation greatly. Interesting.

I spoke too soon. I can't push everything from hidden closet to an entertainment center. Because all by speaker cable still goes to the closet and my receiver has to be there and the receiver needs to connect to the TV, which is in the next room of course. 

One reason I was excited about bringing stuff into my home theater, which was something I wanted to avoid when building the home theater, is because I found that wireless controllers have a hard time communicating through the wall consistently. In particular my PS4 controllers just didn't work. My Xbox One controller seems to lose connection once in a blue moon, but the PS4 controllers were all the time.

11 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Maybe you should ask your Butler what he thinks about your two TV plan, while he and the limo driver are helping the maid clean the martini stain on the rug in the guest house.

God damn it. I think our hobbyist technology zealotry rightfully warrant self-deprecating humor. But the silence on my joke has me insecure that Chris is sending his butler to kill me.

6 hours ago, foogledricks said:

God damn it. I think our hobbyist technology zealotry rightfully warrant self-deprecating humor. But the silence on my joke has me insecure that Chris is sending his butler to kill me.

Self-deprecating humor is fine, the problem is that your joke just wasn't funny. :)

One other question about the LGs-I noticed they have support for an HDMI Audio Return Channel, so if I run this to my existing receiver as a regular input, is there any special support that a receiver needs for it?  If I don't want to upgrade everything in the pipeline to HDMI 1.2/4k capable, I'm thinking I can just run something like Xbox->TV PC->TV then TV->Receiver for audio, where the receiver is basically on the same input every time.  Anything that's a 1080p source would probably still go through the HDMI switch on the receiver, but I'd want to connect native 4k sources to the TV directly.