LCVG
NickC

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

One other question about the LGs-I noticed they have support for an HDMI Audio Return Channel, so if I run this to my existing receiver as a regular input, is there any special support that a receiver needs for it?  If I don't want to upgrade everything in the pipeline to HDMI 1.2/4k capable, I'm thinking I can just run something like Xbox->TV PC->TV then TV->Receiver for audio, where the receiver is basically on the same input every time.  Anything that's a 1080p source would probably still go through the HDMI switch on the receiver, but I'd want to connect native 4k sources to the TV directly.

This is exactly my setup in my living room.

4 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

One other question about the LGs-I noticed they have support for an HDMI Audio Return Channel, so if I run this to my existing receiver as a regular input, is there any special support that a receiver needs for it?  If I don't want to upgrade everything in the pipeline to HDMI 1.2/4k capable, I'm thinking I can just run something like Xbox->TV PC->TV then TV->Receiver for audio, where the receiver is basically on the same input every time.  Anything that's a 1080p source would probably still go through the HDMI switch on the receiver, but I'd want to connect native 4k sources to the TV directly.

Yeah the receiver needs ARC or eARC support (typically the receiver output port is ARC/eARC capable).  I think at this point most them have it.

22 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Yeah the receiver needs ARC or eARC support (typically the receiver output port is ARC/eARC capable).  I think at this point most them have it.

The output port?  That seems odd if you'd be using that as an input.  I'll have to check the receiver specs then-I've had this one since I got the TV, which I think was...6 or 7 years ago?  Could be a problem then.  Worst case I suppose I could go optical to the receiver (since I've only got a 5.1 setup), although does that preclude uncompressed sources as well?  Been out of the loop for a while here...

10 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

The output port?  That seems odd if you'd be using that as an input.  I'll have to check the receiver specs then-I've had this one since I got the TV, which I think was...6 or 7 years ago?  Could be a problem then.  Worst case I suppose I could go optical to the receiver (since I've only got a 5.1 setup), although does that preclude uncompressed sources as well?  Been out of the loop for a while here...

Yeah hence the name "Return channel". 6-7 years ago, that was not as common. 

ARC is limited to about 1MBps, so uncompressed stereo only or Compressed Dolby Digital or DTS (No Dolby TrueHD for example)

eARC supports higher bitrate (37Mbps) over that return channel, so you can do 7.1 uncompressed, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.

With optical (TOSLINK) you are also constrained by the bitrate (it's an 80's standard :) ) so only stereo uncompressed or compressed Dolby Digital/DTS (No TrueHD, etc).

I never knew what passes over eARC is still seemingly dictated by a chipset/manufacturer though. I'd assumed that so long as the bandwidth was there, it would passthrough all modern codecs by default. According to HDTVTest the LG 2020 TVs apparently do not pass DTS HD MA/DTS-X over eARC however (at least the CX they tested didn't). Now, no streaming service uses DTS HD MA/DTS-X of course, and most dedicated UHD players should have two HDMI outputs if you wanted separate distribution of audio to a receiver with the video going into a TV with calibrated input settings, but it would be an issue if using a games console as a Blu-ray/UHD player since they will only have a single HDMI output.

32 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I never knew what passes over eARC is still seemingly dictated by a chipset/manufacturer though. I'd assumed that so long as the bandwidth was there, it would passthrough all modern codecs by default.

That's interesting - I must not be an item in the HDMI 2.1 eARC compliance testing suite, which you need for certification a manufacturer can claim HDMI 2.1 support.

I've also seen comments that certain apps have limited eARC support too, so Plex apps on certain devices for example will not passthrough HD audio over eARC apparently.

That's strange - probably more to do with the SDK for the device not properly advertising the capabilities of the downstream device.

Those two I'm 99% sure can be addressed with a firmware update.

Thankfully everything I use ARC for now (Apple TV, built in apps) use Lossy Dolby so I’ve not had that problem.  But only because I bought a dedicated UHD player to get lossless film audio back from discs. 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Now, no streaming service uses DTS HD MA/DTS-X of course

And this is why most TVs don't bother with eARC DTS support.

5 hours ago, kelley said:

And this is why most TVs don't bother with eARC DTS support.

Indeed. Really stupid that eARC is not codec agnostic so long as the bandwidth is there.

I'm interested to know whether 2.1 output on a receiver can be set to force things like ALLM on an input signal travelling out to the display. So for instance, if you hook up a gaming device that pre-dates ALLM (like a PS4, SNES Mini or whatever) could it be applied by the receiver to tell the display to switch to Game Mode? I'm really hoping that's possible.

Vizio enters the fray with a $1999 65’ OLED screen and a 55’ at $1299. Both offer HDMI 2.1 support on every HDMI. They also have an 85in. LED at $2999 @foogledricks....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308026/vizio-2021-p-series-quantum-x-m-v-4k-hdr-tv-prices-specs

Even though it’s coming later, you might be curious about how Vizio is pricing its OLED compared to LG. The 65-inch model will run $1,999.99, with the 55-inch set priced at $1,299.99. So it’s fair to say the company is being aggressive in trying to lure shoppers away from the OLED leader. 

The OLED, P-Series Quantum X, and P-Series Quantum support variable refresh rate from 48 to 120Hz at up to 4K, making them excellent gaming choices since they’ll avoid screen tearing. They run what Vizio refers to as its ProGaming Engine. And the entirety of Vizio’s new lineup supports HDMI 2.1 on every HDMI port, so you’ll have the latest tech like eARC no matter if you’re buying a top-end model or something like the M-Series Quantum. They’re pretty well future proofed.

As before, the flagship LED remains the P-Series Quantum X, which can hit up to 3000 nits of peak brightness and comes in 65 ($1,499.99), 75 ($1,999.99), and 85-inch ($2,999) sizes. Vizio says the entire panel can reach up to 800 nits of brightness. The standard P-Series Quantum comes in 65-inch ($1,199.99) and 75-inch ($1,699.99) sizes and has a still impressive peak brightness of 1200 nits, plus up to 240 local dimming zones for excellent contrast and deep blacks.

• Fire 1
  • Interesting 1

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Visio enters the fray with a $1999 65’ OLED screen and a 55’ at $1299. Both offer HDMI 2.1 support on every HDMI. They also have an 85in. LED at $2999 @foogledricks....

God damn it, in my list of tasks and decisions related to my home theater upgrade, the TV was the only item I crossed off and now you're opening it back up you mother fucker.

• Excellent 1

Crap. For me to take advantage of these smart TVs (Running Netflix, Amazon, Hulu through the TV apps rather than using an external box like Roku), I need to output audio from the TV, 30 feet through the ceiling to my receiver (to distribute multichannel audio to my 7.1 speakers). And of course creating an entertainment center below my TV will be necessary to plug both my PS5 and PC into the TV.

Here's the question. Can I send a pass-through from my TV, a signal that originated from my PS5, and use my 5+ year old receiver, since I only care about the sound, and not the picture? It seems silly to upgrade to an expensive and new HDMI 2.1 receiver if I'm only using it to distribute the audio channels to the speakers. I guess if that Vizio TV can output to optical I'd be all set? But if it is HDMI, I'm screwed (i.e. will need to buy a 2.1 compliant receiver)? I don't know what the hell is going on.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

Here's the question. Can I send a pass-through from my TV, a signal that originated from my PS5, and use my 5+ year old receiver, since I only care about the sound, and not the picture? It seems silly to upgrade to an expensive and new HDMI 2.1 receiver if I'm only using it to distribute the audio channels to the speakers. I guess if that Vizio TV can output to optical I'd be all set? But if it is HDMI, I'm screwed (i.e. will need to buy a 2.1 compliant receiver)? I don't know what the hell is going on.

Looks like Vizio tends to have optical out, and 30 foot optical cables aren't that expensive. So I'll aim to use my existing receiver, run an optical cable 30 feet from my TV to the receiver, and then plug my PC and PS5 directly into the TV from an entertainment center.  And use the smartTV apps for non-gaming. That all sounds good.

The main issue there is your receiver supporting eARC, otherwise you’ll miss on Atmos, TrueHD etc - and that’s assuming your receiver supports ARC. This is because as far as I’ve remember seeing, TVs usually don’t have a dedicated HDMI output.

Also using the TV to split the audio is basically asking it to be the HDMI switcher. They amount of support for different things related to audio will probably be spotty as they found out on the LG CX.

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

The main issue there is your receiver supporting eARC, otherwise you’ll miss on Atmos, TrueHD etc - and that’s assuming your receiver supports ARC. This is because as far as I’ve remember seeing, TVs usually don’t have a dedicated HDMI output.

Also using the TV to split the audio is basically asking it to be the HDMI switcher. They amount of support for different things related to audio will probably be spotty as they found out on the LG CX.

Never understood what ARC was until you prompted me to read. I don’t think ARC is an option because it is a long run and I’ll have to use an active one way cable which doesn’t work with ARC, which requires two way. I share the anxiety that outputting audio from TV could cause problems. I have no appreciation for next-gen audio standards. I have 7.1 Speakers figured surround sound is surround sound :)

The Vizio OLEDs are priced very competitively. Also both HDR10+ & Dolby Vision? Maybe I should have waited to the fall. 
However, I am very happy with my LG CX so far. My only worry was that Freesync was going to be in a future update,and exactly what that would entail,since I do a lot of retro gaming,and I wanted the LFC that comes with Freesync Premium.

Lo and behold,update to the CX this morning - and this.

I feel better about my TV today...

CDAE96D4-E7F3-434B-8E46-F2A985441911.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, Romier S said:

Vizio enters the fray with a $1999 65’ OLED screen and a 55’ at $1299. Both offer HDMI 2.1 support on every HDMI. They also have an 85in. LED at $2999 @foogledricks....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308026/vizio-2021-p-series-quantum-x-m-v-4k-hdr-tv-prices-specs

I thought Vizio actually launched their product line, but I still don't see their TVs available anywhere. Is there a delay of some sort or am I misreading what "Launching June 30, 2020" means?

On 7/4/2020 at 6:32 PM, foogledricks said:

I thought Vizio actually launched their product line, but I still don't see their TVs available anywhere. Is there a delay of some sort or am I misreading what "Launching June 30, 2020" means?

Best Buy has the bigger sets listed as “Coming Soon” so I’d imagine there’s a bit of lag time.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Best Buy has the bigger sets listed as “Coming Soon” so I’d imagine there’s a bit of lag time.

No, that’s doesn’t compute. I’m ready to buy now. General protection fault$&-