LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

They are investigating other markets also. So they just don’t know that yet. I don’t know what electric South Korea uses. I just know a lot of people have them here. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

It's here. For fun I put my outgoing projector on top of the Epson. Needless to say the Epson is BIG.     I've gotten it hooked up and have taken a quick gander at some 4K HDR stuf

Posted Images

And since I had to get quite some way into a scary article before I got the information I actually needed, this only affects models that are 65" and above, so even though LG UK haven't said anything yet I'm reasonably comfortable I'm OK.

Interesting Article:

Samsung Display is expediting its preparations for mass-production of quantum dot (QD) displays in 2021 without relying on Samsung Electronics and irrespective of Samsung Electronics' TV business strategy.

Samsung Display can go without support from Samsung Electronics as it has secured Chinese TV companies as customers for its QD displays.

Samsung Electronics' portfolio is also different from Samsung Display's strategy. Samsung Electronics maintains a two-track strategy of micro LED and 8K QLED TVs for the premium TV market. There is no room for QD products in its premium product strategy.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=49643

The Sony 900H reviews were not very good. My entire home theater upgrade is now based on a Vizio TV that hasn't been released yet and a bunch of receivers that haven't been released yet. Fuck cutting edge technology.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/vizio-named-the-official-hdtv-and-sound-bar-partner-for-the-all-new-marvels-avengers-video-game-301113429.html

VIZIO delivers premium picture quality with technologies like Quantum Color, Full Array LED with up to 3000 nits of peak brightness. Now the company is further enhancing its 4K TVs with next-gen gaming performance to meet the unique needs of today's gamer.

VIZIO V-Series 4K TVs include the new V-Gaming Engine, which utilizes Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Auto Game Mode to optimize performance upon identifying the game signal. Step-up models like the New M-Series, P-Series® Quantum, P-Series Quantum X, and all new OLED include a ProGaming Engine, which offers support for variable refresh rate (VRR) and support for 4K at 120fps. They also produce faster response times and our lowest input lag ever. Utilizing 64-bit image processing and offering HDMI 2.1 connectivity along with eARC passthrough, utilizing VIZIO's IQ Ultra and IQ Active processors adjust contrast at the level of individual pixels, giving every image more depth and dimension. The 1GHz CPU smooths contours and gradients in real time for more natural-looking graphics while accurately upscaling HD content to 4K resolution, setting gamers up to win.

Looks like Vizio is partnering with Square on the new Avengers game, because Vizio's new TVs are all HDMI 2.1 compliant and what not.  I have a google alert on Vizio, hoping that they'll actually announce that their new TVs are finally available. I got this alert a moment ago, and it pissed me off. Just give me the friggin TV already.

• 4 weeks later...

It's odd that some people think it's going to be ready at a consumer level sooner. I think if anything there's progress to be made on improving mini-LED before we ever get to micro. I'd be REALLY interested in Sony putting mini-LED into their backlight master drive on their Z series 8k displays. Anything to help reduce bloom...etc on LEDs would be a win as there's an acceptable trade off in having very good (but not absolute) blacks for getting HDR performance that far exceeds what OLED can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Camp said:

I’m waiting for quantum x 85 inch. I have a google alert so I’ve been getting false positives for months. I get an email, am excited, and disappointed. Over and over. 

When i tell people I’m considering getting a Vizio they say I’m nuts. Most unreliable tvs you can get. Starting to make me nervous. Maybe i should buy an extended warranty. If it ever comes out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When do new TVs get released usually? Because it is getting so late in the year. The Sony X900H won't even have an HDMI 2.1 firmware update until next year most likely. The Vizio Quantum Series still hasn't been released.

Maybe rather than rushing into buying a new receiver, TV, and console while everyone seems to be RUSHING to get HDMI 2.1 into their products, maybe I should wait until the next round of products to dive in. There seems to be no advantage to buying right now.

BUT, I'm curious when everyone will release their 2021 products. If the answer is the second half of 2021, I don't want to wait that long. At the same time, there are no slam dunk purchases right now with HDMI 2.1 support. I think I'll just go with what I have and make a less rushed decision when the options are clearer and more plentiful.

9 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

When do new TVs get released usually? Because it is getting so late in the year. The Sony X900H won't even have an HDMI 2.1 firmware update until next year most likely. The Vizio Quantum Series still hasn't been released.

Maybe rather than rushing into buying a new receiver, TV, and console while everyone seems to be RUSHING to get HDMI 2.1 into their products, maybe I should wait until the next round of products to dive in. There seems to be no advantage to buying right now.

BUT, I'm curious when everyone will release their 2021 products. If the answer is the second half of 2021, I don't want to wait that long. At the same time, there are no slam dunk purchases right now with HDMI 2.1 support. I think I'll just go with what I have and make a less rushed decision when the options are clearer and more plentiful.

Usually whatever gets revealed at CES in January will see release between March, April and May the same year. Occasionally some models don't make it until late summer, but most of them are usually out there for the spring. CES is going virtual next year, so attendees aren't going to get to see anything in person unfortunately. 

That's TVs. Projector reveals are quite random, and not always annual events like TVs. They're more likely to get announced August/September when they do though. 

• Like 1

There's been some interesting news about apparent breakthroughs in plasmonic enhancement to OLED in recent weeks, which would reduce or eradicate risk of burn in, reduce ageing of a panel and may potentially even allow for boosts to peak brightness.

This is the best piece I've found on the development from late September:

In a new report now published on Nature, Michael A. Fusella and a research team at the Universal Display Corporation U.S. developed an OLED (organic light emitting device) with plasmonic decay rate enhancement to increase device stability, they maintained the efficiency by including a nanoparticle-based out-coupling scheme to extract energy from the plasmon mode. The team used an archetypal phosphorescent emitter to achieve a two-fold increase in functional stability at the same brightness as a reference conventional device and extracted 16 percent of the energy from the plasmon mode as light. The new approach will improve the stability of OLED while avoiding material-specific design limitations. Possible applications include lighting panels, and television and mobile displays.

Universal Display Technologies are licensers and suppliers to LG.

Full link for mind-boggling scientific data and diagrams:

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-plasmonic-stability-brightness-light-emitting-devices.html

This piece from earlier in the year at the AIP Journal of Applied physics is even more nerdy and in depth:

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.5129365

It's probably 2-3 years out from making it into consumer products, but it'll be great news if it does. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting 1

2 hours ago, kelley said:

$87,000! They were estimating originally $65,000 for them. 

At this point I'd pay $87K if it solved all of my problems. Not talking about Joel's micro penis.

This whole HDMI 2.1 thing is a pain in the ass. I had trouble finding cables longer than 6 ft. I can't find wall plates that support 2.1.  It is hard finding receivers that support 7.1.2 Atmos AND HDMI 2.1. And the TV selection is a shit show.

Even the god damn wall mounts for the TVs aren't available for the size (85 inch) that I want. Available for all except 85 inch. I know there are kids starving in Ethiopia but there has to be some non-profit humanitarian organization that can solve all my next-gen woes.