LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

Posted Images

Respectable OLED updates this year from Sony and Panasonic.

Sony are now going to be doing what Panasonic have been doing on their highest end OLED panel where an aluminium plate is used to help cooling while allowing to boost the peak brightness of the panel a little. They don't seem to be going as far as Panasonic have for the past two years in actually customising the panel itself though. The plate will only be on Sony's A90 models, not the A80. 

Both have new processors this year, and I'm keen to see if Panasonic's new one finally eradicates the rare bug where there'd be some brief stutter in smoke heavy panning shots in certain films. Obviously both have embraced HDMI 2.1 this year too (Sony are full 48GB bandwidth. Unconfirmed on Panasonic). I'm not sure how many of the inputs from either will be 2.1 though.

Sony also now finally seem to be embracing TV lead Dolby Vision like pretty much every other OLED TV manufacturer has favoured. That's great news.

Sony going up to 83" was expected as it was recently reported that LG can now cut larger sizes from a single sheet of glass at the factory. I would expect LG to make the same size offering with their own mammoth display this year too (I'm not sure when their online press event is. Later today or Monday?). Sony will still have a 77" model alongside the usual 55 and 65" sets too in the A80 lineup.

Interestingly Sony are also pushing 'Bravia Core' which is described as:

• BRAVIA CORE™: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all-new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near-lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps. 

I’m excited to see what comes out this year. Will probably buy a large TV for the living room at some point. I’ve resisted putting one in there, but I’m tired of going to the basement to watch the projector (which is getting a bit long in the tooth but still looks good for 1080p). The Series X is making me drool for some HDMI 2.1 ports 😀

I'm sad Sony have not pursued mini-LED in any of their 2021 sets. Their older backlight master drive driven Z9D displays were so, SO good that I can't help but wonder how they might have merged that technology with mini-LED had they felt compelled to do so. What little blooming the Z9D sets had back in the day might well have been reduced to near insignificance with Sony's knowhow and mini-LED. I guess we'll have to see if they do anything in 2022, or whether they announce something later in the year (unlikely since they typically have announced Z models later in the year, but the Z9J was amongst the lineup yesterday). If we don't see anything by CES next year then we can probably assume they have no interest in it at all and would sooner focus on OLED and the path to bringing micro-LED to consumers.

As far as the OLEDs are concerned however, I think the Sony's could be extremely good this year. We know their processing is second to none, but adding TV lead Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, and on the A90 high end models the heat plate, leaves me expecting them to be very impressive indeed, and perhaps the overall best for image processing, image quality and features. While I can vouch for Panasonic's OLEDs being superb, they're even more expensive than Sonys, particular their highest end with the heat plate (and, again, an actual custom panel which Sony aren't going so far as to do themselves, which is presumably what leaves Panasonic having to price their models at such a premium). With Panasonic you're also only limited to 55 and 65" sizes so if you REALLY want to go big with OLED it's best to look at Sony or LG. If Sony's claim about higher colour volume is true too then that's another big plus.

I've seen some reports only two HDMI inputs on the Sony 2021 displays will have HDMI 2.1 though, with some suggesting the A90 high end models will have three. Still looking for formal confirmation. Lazy to not make all four ports compatible, unless it's a case of all ports being 2.1 but only a couple of them supporting the full 48GB bandwidth?

Once again I expect LG to deliver the best value for money as far as OLEDs go though. Looks like we'll see their lineup on Monday, and we'll probably see the heat plate in one or two models I think (maybe their 'G' branded higher end model). Processing continues where LG need to keep making serious progress to keep up with Sony and Panasonic so it would be good if they've improved their chipset significantly this year.  

I'm very curious to see how the 83" Sony will be priced, and presumably an 83" LG to). Unless one had their heart set on a cinemascope screen over 90" then an 83" OLED might prove better value even if it came in at around $10,000 compared to the cost of a JVC/Sony 4k projector, screen and installation, especially if you consider you're just not going to get that degree of contrast, HDR performance or Dolby Vision support with a projector (which isn't to knock front projection. In a dream scenario where my home and finances of little concern it would still be my favoured choice for the pure unadulterated cinematic impact). 

It's also going to be interesting to see if the Sony (and LG?) OLEDs with the aluminium plate help reduce retention/burn in as has been witnessed in the Panasonics OLEDs from the last couple of years. I don't know whether on that Panasonic's that's purely down to the plate, or the fact they they have a custom panel and make custom micro adjustments to the power supply (I suspect it may actually be the latter).

• 2 weeks later...

The 83" Sony A90J is apparently going to be $7999 with pre-orders starting in May in the US. That's extremely good value all things considered. Since LG's 83" C1 will to be quite as advanced as Sony's model, there's every chance that will launch at an even lower price.

I really do think that's a fair price if you have a home where you simply cannot make a projection set up work.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:42 AM, Angry the Clown said:

It's also going to be interesting to see if the Sony (and LG?) OLEDs with the aluminium plate help reduce retention/burn in as has been witnessed in the Panasonics OLEDs from the last couple of years. I don't know whether on that Panasonic's that's purely down to the plate, or the fact they they have a custom panel and make custom micro adjustments to the power supply (I suspect it may actually be the latter).

Curious if this works as well. The CNN burn-in on my C7 is atrocious after all the 2020 WFH news addiction.

I don't watch cable news in general for the most part but if I did, I'd never do so on the OLED. That's just too much stationary shit for me to chance it. I had a scare with my Panny plasma years ago after watching the Obama/Romney debate years ago and it took nearly a month for that image retention to fade so I never chanced it again. It's what I own an iPad for or I'll pop it onto my TCL LCD if I did want to tune in (like during the election). 

I do have a question for you guys though that do have some burn-in - what do you have your OLED light set to and what settings profile are you using? (ISF-Dark , custom, etc.)?

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Out of interest, has that occurred with the pixel shift activated in the menus to help negate such occurrences, or not? 

I’ve used the pixel refresher since noticing the burn-in but if you mean the screen shift, then yes, it’s been on the whole time.

29 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I don't watch cable news in general for the most part but if I did, I'd never do so on the OLED. That's just too much stationary shit for me to chance it. I had a scare with my Panny plasma years ago after watching the Obama/Romney debate years ago and it took nearly a month for that image retention to fade so I never chanced it again. It's what I own an iPad for or I'll pop it onto my TCL LCD if I did want to tune in (like during the election). 

I do have a question for you guys though that do have some burn-in - what do you have your OLED light set to and what settings profile are you using? (ISF-Dark , custom, etc.)?

I’ve gone to the iPad for cable news since noticing the burn-in but it’s too late.  For bluray and cable, I had it on ISF-Bright... which is probably what fucked me. As for all other settings, i followed what Rtings.com had recommended.  I’m already planning to upgrade end of year so looking at options.

For SDR content, my OLED post calibration is set to 36 but I’m in a very light controlled room. Using ISF-Dark Room as the main profile. 

That’s likely too dim for a well lit room but I find in most cases of burn-in folks have the OLED light cranked (through no fault of their own, mind).

19 hours ago, Romier S said:

For SDR content, my OLED post calibration is set to 36 but I’m in a very light controlled room. Using ISF-Dark Room as the main profile. 

That’s likely too dim for a well lit room but I find in most cases of burn-in folks have the OLED light cranked (through no fault of their own, mind).

Yeah, all of this. My living room is all windows and I surely abused the crap out of my C7.

Some good news, though. On a whim I contacted LG via Facebook and they're going to do a courtesy repair for me and I'll just pay labor. In short, I'll be getting a new panel for about $200. I'll take it, and will be limiting CNN.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah, all of this. My living room is all windows and I surely abused the crap out of my C7.

Some good news, though. On a whim I contacted LG via Facebook and they're going to do a courtesy repair for me and I'll just pay labor. In short, I'll be getting a new panel for about $200. I'll take it, and will be limiting CNN.

LG Global?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

LG support is usually pretty fantastic. Especially for OLED customers who they treat as premium customers. They’ve been doing much more in the way of burn-in replacements for in-warranty customers free of charge, too which is great. Definitely worth calling them if you have an issue. They replaced the panel on my B6 years ago no questions asked due to vertical lines causing uniformity issues that I was unhappy with. I was impressed by their white glove handling of the situation.

Its great to hear you’re getting a new panel, Josh!

• 2 weeks later...

So I followed Josh’s lead and contacted LG for support. FedEx dropped off the new panel last week and technician arrived today (after postponing Monday due to snowstorm). Happy to say that everything went smoothly. Here are before and after pics. 

FB5EE9DA-8836-4994-B751-23BC0683AD3B.jpeg

003F0BDC-871F-46DF-9BF3-6EFECEE0991B.jpeg

Am I correct in thinking that, since I have the same inner parts except for the new module, that I don’t need to calibrate?  Image looks identical to how it did after using the rtings settings when I first got it. 

5 hours ago, Angel P said:

Am I correct in thinking that, since I have the same inner parts except for the new module, that I don’t need to calibrate?  Image looks identical to how it did after using the rtings settings when I first got it. 

That's a really good question. I'm honestly not sure, but either way it's good to re-calibrate every so often because things will inherently drift. 

12 hours ago, Angel P said:

So I followed Josh’s lead and contacted LG for support. FedEx dropped off the new panel last week and technician arrived today (after postponing Monday due to snowstorm). Happy to say that everything went smoothly. Here are before and after pics. 

FB5EE9DA-8836-4994-B751-23BC0683AD3B.jpeg

003F0BDC-871F-46DF-9BF3-6EFECEE0991B.jpeg

He also contacted LG after me and got his replacement before I did. Mine went on a 1,000lb pallet to a service center in Long Island while his went direct to him. Go figure.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

He also contacted LG after me and got his replacement before I did. Mine went on a 1,000lb pallet to a service center in Long Island while his went direct to him. Go figure.

At least you don't have it taking up space in your unit.

8 minutes ago, kelley said:

At least you don't have it taking up space in your unit.

Very very true. No rush. I just think it's funny - Angel was texting me pictures of them swapping his panel last night and I was pretty envious.