LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

Posted Images

On 2/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Romier S said:

Takes less than 15-20 minutes. Literally a few boards to swap and done.

Takes them forever to just come and do the work if you're in Brooklyn, though. Still waiting for the guy to come and do mine.

32 minutes ago, Josh said:

Takes them forever to just come and do the work if you're in Brooklyn, though. Still waiting for the guy to come and do mine.

Yeah I can imagine. Especially with the pandemic. 

I legit would just ask for the panel to be sent to me without the need for a tech if I had to do it all over again. It really is just a matter of mounting a couple of boards and some simple connectors. If you can build a PC, its cake. I was kind of taken aback by how little there really is inside of these modern TV's.

Just now, Romier S said:

Yeah I can imagine. Especially with the pandemic. 

I legit would just ask for the panel to be sent to me without the need for a tech if I had to do it all over again. It really is just a matter of mounting a couple of boards and some simple connectors. If you can build a PC, its cake. I was kind of taken aback by how little there really is inside of these modern TV's.

It's tempting, especially since this thing is out of warranty anyway.

17 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Would LG even agree to such a thing though? 

If they warrant the new panel, likely not and I believe they do re-up the one year warranty with the replacement panel (they did on mine).

16 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

So what would be my chances for getting a replacement panel for my B7 panel which has terrible DSE? The Xbox gray background in its interface really brings it up.

Never hurts to try. Worst case you get a no and you're not in any worst shape.

They may be more stringent when it comes to vertical lines/DSE though since that was likely there from the get-go but again, never hurts to ask. 

I had my panel replaced on my old B6 for just that issue (very strong vertical lines on near dark scenes) and they took care of it but that was in-warranty.

52 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Would LG even agree to such a thing though? 

Who knows - the process is so uneven as it is. For Angel, they sent the panel directly to him and someone was there in days. For me, they sent the panel to a service center who now has the thing hostage.

My media room walls are soundproofed with the exact same expanding, chemical reaction foam insulation as my attic, which is really good for sound insulation, and exceptional for temperature insulation.  

It's been a given that if I'm in this room, my PJ is on.  The room gets warm, really fast, and I had to put a separate thermostat in the room to be the prevailing temperature gauge for the entire upstairs, otherwise inside the room it could be 75, and the rest of the upstairs, 65.  My AC is capable of defeating that, but to keep the media room at a comfortable 70-72 degrees means that the upstairs areas outside the media room get really, really cold. I think it would be really expensive to have a new zone created just for the media room.

This week I decided to sit up here with the projector off, just using my computer to watch videos and TV, and I disconnected the in-room thermostat.  The room has stayed remarkably cold. It now dawns on me just how much the PJ is responsible for the temperature disparity.  

This is helping my ditch-the-PJ cause.    No way an 85" OLED/QLED produces that much heat, right?    Any data on the heat-signatures of the newer 4K projectors, compared to 2015's models?  Are they running cooler these days?

Electricity savings and room comfort are a big draw, but going from 120" down to 85" will be a huge hit.  I'm going to zoom my lens down to 85", and try that for a few days.

Carlos.

OLED displays don't really run hot at all. My old Pioneer plasma could heat the room in winter by comparison. The forthcoming 83" OLEDs, especially the one Sony are doing, do sound rather great on paper.  

Laser projectors might have a lower heat output than lamp based models, but they're still rather expensive. I can't imagine much can be done to drastically improve lamp based projector in that respect. I know some dedicated installations have a dedicated duct to channel the heat from around the projector and feed it out of the room but that's a big expense in itself.

Is there open ventilation around your projector or is it boxed in?

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

OLED displays don't really run hot at all. My old Pioneer plasma could heat the room in winter by comparison. The forthcoming 83" OLEDs, especially the one Sony are doing, do sound rather great on paper.  

Laser projectors might have a lower heat output than lamp based models, but they're still rather expensive. I can't imagine much can be done to drastically improve lamp based projector in that respect. I know some dedicated installations have a dedicated duct to channel the heat from around the projector and feed it out of the room but that's a big expense in itself.

Is there open ventilation around your projector or is it boxed in?

It's 100% open, ceiling mounted, and the air return vent for the room is within 7 feet of the projector's exhaust, which seems like a really great thing.    I am astounded by how much cooler the room is staying with the projector off.  Now I'm committed to leaving it off for the entire week to see what how my electricity usage changes.

Carlos.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Carlucci said:

It's 100% open, ceiling mounted, and the air return vent for the room is within 7 feet of the projector's exhaust, which seems like a really great thing.    I am astounded by how much cooler the room is staying with the projector off.  Now I'm committed to leaving it off for the entire week to see what how my electricity usage changes.

Carlos.

Could you vent the exhaust into the attic or out into a hallway that would have more air flow?

The attic would be doable.  I'm going to look at custom solutions online to see what it will take.  My attic has the spray foam insulation, so it is never more than 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.  When I had the pink fiberglass stuff in my previous home, it could be in the 100s in the attic on a hot day.  

Carlos.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dogbert said:

I can't buy a new console. I can't buy PC parts. Talk me out of a Samsung Q80. QN55Q80TAFXZA - 55 inches is ideal for my viewing range. 4k streaming + Xbox One X right now, future proof for Series X? 

It's a solid set but the lack of Dolby Vision support kills it for me.

Have you looked at the Vizio OLED? It's right in that price range. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-55-class-oled-4k-uhd-smartcast-tv/6416810.p?skuId=6416810

PQ wise its not as refined as the heavyweights but you get the OLED advantages and the future proofing you are looking for along with support for all formats.