LCVG

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aaand TV panel has been swapped.

So...l finally ended up making a decision on the TV. (Not really having much of a choice after the plasma started having screen issues).   I have decided to upgrade as much as possible. Star

Stop using the god damn out of box settings.... says Tom Cruise!    

Posted Images

I'm actually getting tempted by the Sony X900H at this point - it doesn't have VRR yet, but allegedly in a firmware update this year... But it ticks a lot of other boxes, and looks like a fair compromise on performance vs price, given my budget. It's not fancy OLED, but it's solid proven tech... 

Keith, you still happy with yours? @foogledricks

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

I'm actually getting tempted by the Sony X900H at this point - it doesn't have VRR yet, but allegedly in a firmware update this year... But it ticks a lot of other boxes, and looks like a fair compromise on performance vs price, given my budget. It's not fancy OLED, but it's solid proven tech... 

I was going to suggest it over the Samsung. I do not like their build quality generally. The current TCL Micro LED sets are also excellent but lack 2.1 features. Next years TCL’s with 2.1 oughta be amazing sets for the price.

5 hours ago, dogbert said:

I know TCL get a lot of love, but the last one I got failed faster than any other TV I've had, and their customer service about it was abysmal, so I'm kinda burned on them for now.

That sucks. I’ve had a 6 Series for years with no issues and I’m inclined to buy one if their 55’ 2.1 sets in the near future based on pricing alone.

On the x900 front, I’m betting Sony updates it on the VRR front alongside the PS5.

9 hours ago, dogbert said:

The built-in apps in conjunction with eArc cause a lot of problems. The audio used to go dark for 15 seconds every once in a while. I think they fixed that. But I still need to reboot the TV a few times a week to get the apps to play audio. Might be an Atmos specific issue. All I know is it happens with the built-in apps and never happens with my PS5.

Sometimes I have to turn on and off my receiver to fix the audio with the Ps5 though. That's much easier than a TV reboot of course. But this is only an initial and easily fixable thing. I've never had issues while playing or intermittently. Just at startup sometimes.

I've been considering using my Ps5 for Netfllix, Hulu, etc. Kinda sucks but maybe it is the best choice at this point.

The TV seems to produce or enhance film grain at times. Breaking Bad and the Last Jedi come to mind. The soap opera shutter speed conversion is something I tried to turn off. But found that material looked choppy, more choppy than normal. So while I don't like frame rate conversions, it is still better than choppiness.

Those are a few thoughts in case they're useful. My PS5 looks damn good on this TV. So does my PC. Wish I had a receiver that supported HDMI 2.1 so I could skip eArc altogether. That being said, I still love my sound.

Ah, I won't ever be using the TV's app, whatever TV I buy. Amazon FireStick 4K, $30 with a code. Seriously. 

Good feedback, thanks. I've read complaints about just about everything for every TV out there it feels like. Why did this stuff get so hard?  

16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Agreed on x900f. Mine serves me well enough that I can wait out another year for 2.1 to work out its teething problems. I imagine the 900h is a nice step up (and admit I was tempted when the 85-inch version dropped under $2k at Christmas.)

I think my next unit is going to be the 83" OLED.

• 1 month later...

Want to see a personal home theatre featuring Sony's Crystal LED/Micro LED display custom sized to 200" and a 2:0.1 ratio?

p1012007-jpg.3075948

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/sony-crystal-led-owners-thread-2020-solfar.3125600/

Lots of construction and installation pictures on page 6:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/sony-crystal-led-owners-thread-2020-solfar.3125600/page-6

It needs its own dedicated cooling system as every panel at peak wattage (i.e a bright white image) would collectively consume 11,000w of power. Apparently Sony had to strictly ensure that the customer could supply the required power. It's a real head scratcher to wonder how this technology could even come down to the level of a high end $10-20,000 consumer projector, let alone a TV, in the next decade but I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Oh to have all of the money. 

Samsung's 110" (non-modular) micro-LED display is going to be on sale at Harrods in London. I assume it will be on the show floor there in future so I'll have to go and see it for myself sometime. That is expected to be a little over £100,000 which, hey, is still progress in the right direction. :) 

5 hours ago, kelley said:

How much does that screen cost?

The Sony? In excess of $300,000 I'd imagine. That may even be a conservative estimate and probably just for the screen alone before you add in the cost of powering and cooling it. There was a point two years ago where I think I read that each panel costs around $10k, but they've probably come down somewhat since there as earlier this year they improved the install process. He wrote that he's running an array of 11x5 panels, which is actually calculates to sub 4k resolution as he didn't have the space for more to make it native 4k at his desired 2.0:1 ratio, consequently this means he can't pixel map and has to crop his images slightly via way of a video processor (think he's just using a Lumagen Radiance Pro which is probably the cheapest component in his set up 😆). 

Samsung are looking to have an 88" display this year which will probably be about $70,000-80,000. There's a 99" coming soon too. All their displays are pre-fabricated although still based on modular panels (it's just that you won't be able to have sizes and aspect ratios built to order which in my view is one of the most exciting things about microLED). They've announced that they're working to get a 76" model out there too which I guess would be about $50,000.

One of the big roadblocks manufacturers are still facing is being able to pack enough microLEDs into a sufficient space to be able to deliver 4k with smaller screen sizes (or 8k with bigger. The 110" coming from Samsung is only 4k as a consequence). Samsung are also trying to place RGB onto a single chip in the hope of reducing repair technicalities and improving the yield rates that their current process of having individual RGB chips requires. You can read about that here.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:12 AM, Orpheus said:

So Sony is good again? At least in their mid and higher end sets? 

"Why did this stuff get so hard? "

I've been asking myself this quite frequently lately.

Just been reading this back (weird password issues mean I can't actually log in on most of my devices, so I forget to reply a lot of the time now.) At least when I bought my LG C8 a couple of years ago, the Sony TVs still had excellent image quality. But just frankly appalling Smart TV performance, because they insisted on running Android with vastly underpowered CPU and memory compared to the competition. It was literally in the agonising wait between me pressing the Menu button and anything happening on the 80f that I decided to spend the extra for the LG, despite having gone in 90% certain I couldn't possibly justify it. 

Have Sony yet fixed this nonsense? But basically, other than this problem I think the Panasonics, LGs and Sonys are all pretty reasonable. Samsungs I've looked at were having almighty problems with using stupid processing tricks like motion smoothing even when they were supposedly turned off, so I'd never trust one of those again.

Right now I have zero confidence in any Samsung product. We're currently shopping for both a new TV and fridge, and both items we're replacing are Samsung.

The Sony we have, which is temporarily our main TV has an atrocious picture quality on anything dark but in all fairness it was a midrange tv about 5  years ago and we didn't buy it. Never tried using the built in smart features as we've always had a more competent streaming device hooked up to it. 

Yes, it's all looking pretty snappy on their A90J series:

Looks just as good as an Apple TV in terms of responsiveness.

Sony are still behind on VRR support and don't have quite as fast a ms response time as LG, so if gaming is of highest priority then I don't see why anyone would consider anything other than LGs OLEDS ('C' and up. Their B tier models keep getting the somewhat inferior SoC these days), but Sony are still leading on image processing so as a movie lover above anything else I'd personally be looking to them and Panasonic whenever I can consider upgrading my LG E6. I believe Sony are also finally doing TV lead Dolby Vision as well which I'm happy to see (up until last year they were deferring to player lead solutions which seemed to cause sub-optimal playback results). Panasonic are pretty much level pegging with Sony in terms of processing and similarly lag behind LG on things like VRR at the moment, however Panasonic probably have an edge in image accuracy. Panasonic's OLEDs are also very expensive too, so I'd probably look to Sony were I in a position to choose as this year in particular I think Sony are pricing pretty well. LG still consistently deliver the most for your money though. 

LG are still currently the only ones offering HDMI 2.1 across all inputs on their displays too of course, which is worth taking into account. I'd hope that will change in 2022, but since most companies buy off the shelf boards (while LG do their own), the pandemic could trickle into next year in denying us full 2.1 support on all inputs in TVs and receivers...etc until 2023. I hope that's not the case though and that in 2022 we see full support from all the major manufacturers. 

I'd like to upgrade my E6, but it's really a matter of want vs need, so it's not something I'd seriously entertain short of a sudden unexpected windfall of cash into my bank account. LG's 6 series still hold up very well, but came just one year before manufacturers started getting a better grip of HDR so the 7 series onwards is where they began introducing better and better tone mapping algorithms and improving their general image processing. I don't doubt that I'd see a big difference if I could upgrade today, but I remain content with what I have.